Kyosho Viper speedboat

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Kyosho Viper speedboat

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Snatched this off the bay when I wasn't even looking for a boat. Can't even remember what I was looking for... Kyosho something? Found this. Came RTR with full radio gear, batteries, and the box in good shape. It looks either barely used or very well taken of. No cracks or anything in the hull.

The radio gear and that mechanical speed controller are being replaced, of course. It wasn't painted, so I'm going to strip all the decals off, sand, and paint it. Not sure if I'll go with a racing livery or a sparkly boat paint job.

This LeMans 360ST comes stock with the boat. Anyone know the RPM on this motor?

These goofy looking dudes are coming out of here. I'm going to replace them entirely with a cockpit interior or at least their heads with Tamiya ones.

Got ponds all around me. This thing should be fun.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Viper speedboat

Post by Coelacanth »

SMOKE-DOG wrote:This LeMans 360ST comes stock with the boat. Anyone know the RPM on this motor?
The 360ST is a powerful little motor, but non-adjustable. I found this image on the 'net somewhere and saved it for future reference. It comes in handy! 8)

I would guess the RPM would be in the neighborhood of 18 - 20k.
Attachments
Le Mans Motor Specs_B.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I had one of those back when we had a pool. I was surprised how fast it was.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Cool find. I remember those from the tower catalogs. I'd kind of like to get into a powerboat sometime, and that looks like just the ticket (have to keep my eyes peeled!). I had a Thunder Tiger Victoria Sailboat for awhile, but never could get the hang of sailing, it just felt like slow motion. I think some of the scale boats out there look cool too.

shane
Approved Member

Post by shane »

Great find. I'm looking for one to make into a bait delivery system for fishing. :lol:

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

go to the bay NOW shane $55 BIN free ship!

shane
Approved Member

Post by shane »

I'm broke :cry:

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Slap a 5700kv motor and lipo in that baby. :D
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Cool - I remember the viper from an old Graupner (german Kyosho rebadger/importer) catalog from when I was much younger :lol:

The 360ST is closed end 550-based "stocker" - doesn't rev that fast, but has 550-sized torqued.

Which means it's perfect for a submerged prop system like the viper's... Don't go any higher HP than this without seriously thinking about water cooler the whole system though. I've done quite some hp-ramping experiments with my Kyosho WaveChopper the past couple of years, and although there were the odd chuckling moments (overpowered boats ARE fun) I've melted a couple of mills and a couple of speedos.

So don't overdo it :)

Paul

PS: for the record... my wavechopper is now equipped with 3s lipos and a 3000kv mill + 120A controller... all water cooled... and it f'n RIPS!!! haha... but it took me 3 yrs of fiddling to get there ;)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

I thought about brushless but I don't plan on spending too much on this one. Might just keep the 360ST in there but was wondering if a Trinity '87 Monster Horsepower would work better. Not sure which has higher RPM but it sounds like the 360ST has more torque. It looks like I can water-cool the motor and ESC for only a couple bucks looking at what Tower has to offer. This is my first boat so I don't know too much about upgrades. Should I change the prop at all? Would a slightly bigger prop make for higher speed?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

SMOKE-DOG wrote:I thought about brushless but I don't plan on spending too much on this one. Might just keep the 360ST in there but was wondering if a Trinity '87 Monster Horsepower would work better. Not sure which has higher RPM but it sounds like the 360ST has more torque. It looks like I can water-cool the motor and ESC for only a couple bucks looking at what Tower has to offer. This is my first boat so I don't know too much about upgrades. Should I change the prop at all? Would a slightly bigger prop make for higher speed?
boats draw insane amounts of current... way more than cars! Submerged props like on the viper are super-inefficient, so anything bigger than the 360ST will require water cooling I'd say, the challenge is the water pickup in most cases and the waterproof-ness of the whole thing. When I was using brushed, watercooled motors in my wavechopper, if there was the tinyest drop of water in the hull (and there always was) the mill would suck it in and then bye bye brushes in 30seconds :lol:

Trinity Monster HP stock vs. 360ST won't make a huge diff

if you go up in prop, yes it'll goo quicker but you gotta make sure the mill has the torque...

It's a trial and error thing, really - lots of fun, just make sure you have a swimming suit under your pants when you go experiment at the pond with your new toy haha

Paul :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

The best motor you could use for this would be Graupner 600bb SP 7.2 with ball bearings. The shaft drive on this boat wont handle a brushless set up. You could also use a cordite motor aswell both are good marine brushed motors. A larger prop will give you more punch off the line but less speed on the top end also will cause your motor to heat up more but you will need to resise your prop once you change your motor out.

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Thanks for the info. More than likely I will keep this motor in it for now. I will try to find another prop that fits just to have something to experiment with. I stripped all the decals off and am about to sand and paint it as soon as I figure out what color. I will put a thin bead of waterproof silicone around it cause I don't know if its still sealed 100%.

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

If your going to stay with brushed motors, try and find an old RC Hydros ESC for your boat. They are waterproof and pretty much bulletproof.

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

here is a link for the jeti brushed speed controls which are very good speed controls http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jeti_speed_controls_304_ctg.htm