RC10Talk.com info

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10Talk
Approved Member

RC10Talk.com info

Post by RC10Talk »

Figured Id share a few bits of info for RC10Talk.com with you guys.

Number of posts: 178065
Posts per day: 90.25 (of these there will be at least five useless posts by Halgar lol)
Number of topics: 15166
Topics per day: 7.69
Number of users: 2410
Users per day: 1.22 (Going down due to our new anti-bot security)
Number of attachments: 34756
Attachments per day: 17.61
Board started: 07 Feb 2006 05:06 pm
Database size: 473.87 MiB
Size of posted attachments: 4.28 GiB

RC10Talk.com uses about 5.99 GB of web server (Calculated today).
this site uses about 846.890 MB a day of transfer.
It is estimated that we will use 24.8112421875 GB of transfer a month.

Your donations keep this site going! By the stats above you can see why we have our own dedicated web server!

When I took over ClodTalk.com, I wanted to keep all posts starting with day 1, same concept here! I know new members go back and read some of them, and so do old members!

Happy 4th of July to our American members!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: RC10Talk.com info

Post by Lonestar »

Hey Bill and the crew

thanks again for giving us this forum and enabling it to be the best RC forum at all :) I've seen my share of RC BB's and forum since I started using TTT in 98, and this is the best, ever.

Keep it up :)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

Nice stats and interesting info, top job on running of the forum etc 8)

RC10Talk
Approved Member

Post by RC10Talk »

I dont run it... I just keep the back ground stuff running. Your admins should be given all the props!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Bill Krueger wrote:When I took over ClodTalk.com, I wanted to keep all posts starting with day 1, same concept here! I know new members go back and read some of them, and so do old members!
I appreciate this greatly, but I wonder why Classifieds are deleted if they are older than a month?

Old "SOLD" posts are great to use a price references for people who don't know what something is worth or what the market value might be, plus sometimes things don't sell immediately. Losing things older than a month in the Classifieds is a HUGE pain in the arse for me, because it's not always very easy to keep track of items listed for sale that are bunched in one large thread (as required here). The Search feature on phpBB boards is exceptionally weak to begin with, but the rules and listing minutia of the Classifieds is completely frustrating. It's hard to find things that you might be seeking, and when they disappear after a month, it's not good for the seller or the potential buyers.

If you are on your own dedicated server, then why worry about consolidating the threads and deleting posts that are older than 30 days? Seems to be counter-productive to me. I'm just asking...

dc

RC10Talk
Approved Member

Post by RC10Talk »

only that forum deleted posts older than 30 days. I think the idea was more so that 6 months from now some one would contact you about something you had posted.

The deletion of posts after 30 days with no activity could be removed if you guys want........

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

A discussion concerning attachments has been brought up on here before and these stats show why a lot of message boards don't allow them. This place could be hosted on a shared server for $20 a month if it weren't for them.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Yes, but- other than you and Halgar :wink: we are constantly building, scanning, and researching vintage RC, and that takes lots and lots of images. And its one if the things that set this site so far apart-

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Hey I resent being grouped in the same category as Halgar! :shock: :? :P :lol:

I wasn't saying that this place shouldn't allow attachments as its the single most important feature. I was making the observation of how much of a resource hog it is, and thats why other places where its not really necessary have it turned off. Bill would be saving a lot of money if this place wasn't so dependent on it. Although I do know one of the main reasons why hes on a dedicated server isn't so much because of this place but because he hosts all of his sites off of it which comes out to be cheaper in the long run.

RC10Talk
Approved Member

Post by RC10Talk »

The dedicated server became necessary for ClodTalk.com. At one time it was really popular. I think this was even before I allowed full image uploading to the forums. Many other sites don't allow image hosting and I was always annoyed by broken image links in forums. Thus the main reason I have it turned on. I think it went on when that rc image hosting site kind of went down. I have no idea what the name of it was.

The server does help for hosting other sites. I use to have many, but now its only like four or five and RC10Talk.com counts for probably over 90% of the server usage.

Do to the members here, you guys pay for the full hosting on this server (100%)! If i could add more cool options for you guys, I would!

Image hosting will never be removed as long as I am here!

Ill talk to the other admins about the bst deletion of threads after 30 days.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Lowgear wrote:A discussion concerning attachments has been brought up on here before and these stats show why a lot of message boards don't allow them. This place could be hosted on a shared server for $20 a month if it weren't for them.
That's not in touch with reality. It's more about the bandwidth used than the storage space. Space is cheap—bandwidth kills other sites and host providers hate big forums on shared servers. This one isn't even that big, either.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Bill Krueger wrote:only that forum deleted posts older than 30 days. I think the idea was more so that 6 months from now some one would contact you about something you had posted.
That happens on RCtech every once in a long while. You either don't respond or respond saying that it's been sold. It's never been an issue with me, personally. The value in knowing what things have sold for and what they might be worth on the market is far more than the slight inconvenience of someone not reading the time stamp on the classified.

Not to mention, that sometimes things don't sell, you forget to or stop bumping the thread, and someone DOES contact you 6+ months later, and you wind up selling them the item. I just bought a nitro motor that was listed last November that the guy still had, and I contacted him directly to see if it was still for sale. I even got it at a discount to the listing form last winter.

Just my 2¢.

dc

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Those are some pretty cool stats.

I've been meaning to donate a few more bucks lately, but keep forgetting to. I'll make sure I do it this payday. This is definitely one of the best RC sites on the web, vintage or otherwise!

As for the attachments, that's one of the things that makes this site stand out. Because people can upload all their images right onto the forum, there is very little of that 'image not found' thing when you read through older posts.

RC10Talk
Approved Member

Post by RC10Talk »

tsan wrote:
As for the attachments, that's one of the things that makes this site stand out. Because people can upload all their images right onto the forum, there is very little of that 'image not found' thing when you read through older posts.
:D

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

I also think this site is great place for research when restoring older models. The pictures alone help so much! I will apologize if I'm stepping on some toes but I do have a minor concern that has bothered me. I have ask two moderators months apart about B/S/T access with no reply. I contacted them via ebay as stated in the "How to gain B/S/T access" section. I have made meaningful posts and have even made a donation to rc10talk. I'm not looking to sell, may not even buy anything right away. Just curious to see what's in this "secret society" :wink:
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com