How to get 870C REAR TOE??

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

xxxmain
Approved Member

How to get 870C REAR TOE??

Post by xxxmain »

I've been thinking about doing it for a while so it's time to start collecting parts to build a runner for a vintage nats of some sort. Does anyone know of any YZ10/870C rear hubs that offer rear toe? The stock setup basically seems to be zero degrees so I'd like to get at least 2-degrees in there if possible. I'm pretty sure there aren't any hubs for the Yok that offer rear toe so does anyone have any ideas of how to throw some in?

I was thinking of modding the rear bulkhead to put toe-in there and then use a turnbuckle and extended inner hinge pins to hold the rear toe-in in place. I have no idea if this would even work and/or stay consistent.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Re: How to get 870C REAR TOE??

Post by Jay Dub »

BITD, the factory drivers would have their bulkheads redrilled. This is propalby the best way to deal with it. Strengthening it with a turnbuckle or brace would also be a good idea. Also, you should start with 3 degrees, anything less and you will wish otherwise :wink: .-Jeff

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The works 93 had a system like that

DJGonzo69
Approved Member

Post by DJGonzo69 »

Jeff- didn't we use RC-10 rear hubs? We just re-drilled the hubs to accomodate the bearing.
DUKOMO

Justjoe
Approved Member

Post by Justjoe »

I've also seen the RC10 rear hubs adapted to get some toe in...I also believe Masami did it too. Not sure if you could use the Kyosho rear hubs also..Was looking into using some with 1.5 degrees per side, but havent bought a set yet to try.
USAF Retired
870C, Works 91, YR4-M2 Pro, RC10 Graphite, RC10 Carbon fiber tub
Old Skool RC10 Gold pan, RC10DS, Traxxas REVO

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

someone told me awhile back about getting rear toe with some yokomo rear hubs. yr4 hubs maybe? I'll have to dig around and see if I can find out that info. rc10 hubs would also work drilled out.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I know that Yokomo sells rear hubs for the MX4/MR4 bc etc. in different toes. I just sold a set to a member here. The hinge pin hole is a little smaller, but the a-arm could be bushed rather easily. I think this might be your best option if you are looking to add toe via the outside instead of at the arm mount itself. I know that Kyosho also makes rears with different toe options, if you can find the right offset. -Jeff

xxxmain
Approved Member

Post by xxxmain »

Excellent, thanks for the ideas guys! I want to try and stay away from drilling if possible. Drilling hinge-pin holes or boring out hubs on a runner can be tough to get accurate unless you have the proper equipment (which I don't) - not to mention I'd have to make spares of everything in case of breakage. I want to try to find an existing hub that will directly fit.... which means I have to stay with metric stuff (like Kyosho, Yokomo, etc.).

I have another question then - what is the deal with the vintage class and changing parts? Does every part have to be pre-1991?? Can I put hubs from a YR4 (which is later than 1991) on my vintage runner? How many parts are you allowed to change? Can I run updated ball ends and titanium turnbuckles for example, or does the entire car have to be assembled with parts from the vintage era in question?

Thanks,

Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I found the thread I was looking for. it is YR4 specific, but Mr. Ed said he used tamiya TA-05 rear hub carriers from 3racing to give a YR4 toe in (3 degree hubs). They have slightly higher axle position, but probably not an issue. If tamiya makes a plastic one, it might be a cheap option?

drilling out an rc10 hub is pretty minor, the difference between 3/8" and 10mm is only something like 20 thousandths, it would be pretty hard to mess up. could be worth a try?

there is also traxxas, someone may offer a hub with toe-in, they're metric, probably easy to find as far as replacements.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I have 3 degree RC10T hubs that can be made to work as well- as far as vintage class cutoffs, if you are referring to the VONATS- the cutoff is supposed to be 94' but its a loose term overall

Justjoe
Approved Member

Post by Justjoe »

I believe the RC10 hubs are 1/8 in and the Yokomo hubs are 3mm, you would have to ream the arms to 1/8 in to get the hinge pin to fit correctly. I had to do that with my 870C rear setup BITD. I think the ZX5, and RB5 hubs are 3mm pins, and should be a close match to the Yok hubs. When I converted my 870 to hex drive I used the ZX5 axles to convert but I am using RPM YZ10 hubs.
USAF Retired

Justjoe
Approved Member

Post by Justjoe »

You might be able to try the MR4 tc hubs also
Attachments
MR4 TC Rear hub.jpg
USAF Retired

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Something I did on one of my old touring cars (RCLab) was to modify the rear wishbones by effectively cutting off one of the outer pivot 'lugs' - trimming it down & then re-attaching it with a small turnbuckle... thus giving adjustable toe-in. I'm not that familiar with the 870c arm design & whether this would be possible.. but it might be worth a look?

xxxmain
Approved Member

Post by xxxmain »

DerbyDan wrote:Something I did on one of my old touring cars (RCLab) was to modify the rear wishbones by effectively cutting off one of the outer pivot 'lugs' - trimming it down & then re-attaching it with a small turnbuckle... thus giving adjustable toe-in. I'm not that familiar with the 870c arm design & whether this would be possible.. but it might be worth a look?
Ha, I love it! Cool idea.