The Junior 2 that I forgot about

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ratdude
Approved Member

The Junior 2 that I forgot about

Post by ratdude »

Hello, yes, I am new.

Been enjoying the forums , Long story short I had a couple year love affair with RC cars in the late 90's ( I think )
Had visions of racing ( never happened ).

Since most of my posts will involve " what is it ?", " where do I ?" , " what fits ?" I thought I would share the one car I actually know something about, I bought it and built it . I had great fun beating the wee out of it ( my dog LOVED to chase it ) , even got to run it on a couple tracks , but never got to race it ( and probably would have got firmly trounced if I had ).

After a couple of years , winter set in , I stole the speed control and stock motor out of it , tucked it in its storage drawer and didn't even think about it anymore . Life happened and until this year I just didn't have the time to do much of anything except work . Now of course I am starting to enjoy RC again , got a new dog that LOVES to chase my Duratrax EXT2 . He needs a challenge.

Sorry about the ramble , here are some pics , first time this thing saw daylight in about 12 or 13 years . My photo skills are about zilch , and I did not so much as wipe a rag on it.

the Junior 2

That purple dye job on the nylon seemed like a good idea at the time :lol:

I just know your in awe of that paint job ( OK maybe not )

nope, sorry guys no killer vintage 5 link

The reddish blob in the battery compartment is the receiver , which I cleverly put in a balloon to waterproof it,
which has now petrified on there . and I do mean petrified .

The plan is to have it back together and running for the spring

Rat
I thought it was supposed to be ..... FUN !

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: The Junior 2 that I forgot about

Post by Coelacanth »

Looking forward to the resto. I like these "I just dug this out of boxes in the basement after 20+ years" restoration projects. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Hey, welcome to the board ratdude! Thanks for your the story of your Jnr2... it always nice to still own your old car... it seems many of us sold on our now 'desirable' R/Cs when other interests occured back when we were teenagers (1-1 cars, girls, drinking etc)

Looks like your Losi is in quite good shape, with a bit of clean up & a new bodyshell (I understand the original - & still avaliable, shell for the XX fits :wink: ) that it will turn out real nice - the underside of the chassis & motorplate do not seem too scratched - even the tyres have a fair amount of tread on them - so it appears you treated it with a certain amount of respect/care. I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

ratdude
Approved Member

Post by ratdude »

Hey , thanks for the welcome ! .

As far as a " resto " please don't expect to see a shelf queen here , nothing against them , I am in awe of the work people put up on these forums, but make no mistake , I bought it to run it, and I am still trying to get my hundred bucks out of it , :lol:

As far as the condition, thank you , I did try to take care of it . I was in my mid 20's when I bought this , so I didn't do anything too silly with it . probably the reason it isn't too beat up is 95% of the time in ran in my backyard on grass ( very few runs on a actual track , never raced ).

And it has held up well , the shocks still damp well , the diff is pretty darn smooth , and the tires seem pretty decent for being over a decade old.

And with that said , I trust the decade old shock oil , not at all , I simply must take apart the tranny and see what is in there , and I am afraid if I actually ran on the tires they would probably disintegrate .

And thanks for the info on the body, mine is worse for wear.

My goals

A running losi !
The period correct radio ( I aint got my hundred bucks out of that yet either ! )
Brushed motor , with a period correct speed control ( yeah , you probably guessed by now )
Some non-purple wheels ( what was I smoking ? ......nm :roll: )
A body that will do her proud ( at least prouder )

Probably be a little while before I got more pics to share , currently trying to locate my original wing, gear cover, manual , and whats left of the decal sheet . Sure I still have them , it's the where part I am fuzzy on :? .

Rat

ratdude
Approved Member

the no progress report

Post by ratdude »

Well I can't say I have gotten anything done , I have been working on a gold pan when I am not.....working !
But I have went scouring my incredibly well organized storage ( NOT !! ) looking for the wing and Gear cover .

The wing has been found , the gear cover is still AWOL .

And I found the start ( and finish ) of my Junior T conversion . my goal was to make the Junior go through snow better ( It didn't ) . Behold a few shots of the monster buggy , the last couple of times I ran it this was how it was setup.

Figured someone might get a kick out of it.

Rat

Richard
Approved Member

Post by Richard »

How could I do this conversion on a Double-X? Run truck wheels on all four. Is it possible? I suppose I should start with XXT Spindles & Carriers...
TEAM LOSI XX-CR
TEAM LOSI XXX-SCT

ratdude
Approved Member

Post by ratdude »

Richard wrote:How could I do this conversion on a Double-X? Run truck wheels on all four. Is it possible? I suppose I should start with XXT Spindles & Carriers...
OK , I am real fuzzy on the details , it was quite a while ago , ALL that was done here was a wheel and tire change . I honestly cant remember if the front wheels were conversion wheels or not.

I do remember that they were a couple of body mounts I needed and of course, the body to convert to a JuniorT
but I don't remember if the control arms and what not needed changed too .

I also remember the increased mass of the wheels and tires really killed the snap of my car , and it was still too heavy to do what I was shooting for , ride up on the top of snow.

And that's when it began its life in it's drawer :(

Rat