Ebay sucks

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Momo5
Approved Member

Ebay sucks

Post by Momo5 »

So Ive heard a few other people mention it, but it never happend to me until yesterday.

I sold a vintage T-shirt on the bay for $65 buy it now and was paid instantly. Tonight, I found the repop bodies for the Schumacher Cougar 2000, and I bought one. I havent been spending a lot on RC lately to avoid my wife getting pissed, but I thought to myself, I have $70 in my paypal so no problem.
I went to pay for it the body, and paypal balance is not an option! I logged onto paypal and yep...theyre holding my money for up to 21 days.

Unbelievable!

I could maaaybe understand if I had shitty feedback, but I have a 167 rating, all of them positive!

Ebay is really becoming a big joke. I dont even know how they can get away with requiring you to pay for paypal, and then charging you again to use that payment method!

This is something that has been discussed before I know. I just had to throw it out there again.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Re: Ebay sucks

Post by LTO_Dave »

I just recently sold my second item on ebay, my first being 4 years ago, and noticed the funds were being held. But they were released in a week and not three like it was estimated.

I personally think it's a good idea for buyers since it keeps sellers from emptying their accounts as soon as they receive payment.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

LTO_Dave wrote:I just recently sold my second item on ebay, my first being 4 years ago, and noticed the funds were being held. But they were released in a week and not three like it was estimated.

I personally think it's a good idea for buyers since it keeps sellers from emptying their accounts as soon as they receive payment.
I am skeptical that payf**k has buyers' best interests at heart; holding payments for 21 days is advantageous to their financials. Also if the seller were to spend the funds immediately Payf**k will happily charge them back by sucking it out of their bank account or credit card.

PayPal can burn in hell, but that's just me. I have a strong opinion about them. :evil:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

This is a timely post since I just found out about this the hard way as well. I don't care because I had no plans for the money, but they really need to be more up-front about it. But...

Here's what pisses me off: First off I'm being discriminated against by a company who's very foundation was built upon human beings trusting each other to do the right thing. When I buy on ebay I know full well that there is some risk involved. Their policy states it is because I have a relatively low number of sells which is true, but they are all 100% positive. I've also been a member since May of 2005 and never had so much as an eyelash batted at any of my transactions. I usually only buy so the policy will work to my advantage most of the time. I only sold this stuff because I have absolutely no use for it and I think it's fun to watch and see what happens. To further my point, the buyer of one item paid Wed night and the package is due to be on his doorstep Saturday. 3 days from IN-ID is pretty good customer service I think.

I was telling my wife that there may be people selling something because they need quick cash for groceries, medicine or their electric bill. It's a real kick in the nuts that you have to ship before getting the money(yes you can get a shipping advance I know). Hey ebay, how 'bout I just chuck my stuff in the lake and send you 50 bux?? Save us both some time... :roll:

Not to mention they are probably earning ungodly amounts of interest on their account containing thousands and thousands of revolving transactions probably averaging $35 or so.

I'm not going to kid myself and say that I'm boycotting ebay, but I really feel this policy needs to be in giant red letters before you list. Plus, what's their criteria for qualifying for this? My cousins and another friend knew nothing about it because they use ebay much more often and get their money instantly.

It's the principal of it that pisses me off (and I rarely get pissed). I'm also sure that I will get my money before 2/22/12 like they state, but it still sucks. I had no plans for the money except to maybe have a few beers this weekend and by something stupid without any remorse (who am I kidding, I'll do that anyway). :lol:

Anyway, in a nutshell the policy is fine, but they need to make you aware outside of the fine print. :idea:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

At what point do they start holding sale funds? A certain time of an account not being used? Obviously feedback doesn't pertain, but should.
That is a racket they have going on collecting interest on regular ole peeps money. As if there final selling fees aren't shameless enough! :shock:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

askbob wrote:At what point do they start holding sale funds? A certain time of an account not being used? Obviously feedback doesn't pertain, but should.
That is a racket they have going on collecting interest on regular ole peeps money. As if there final selling fees aren't shameless enough! :shock:
Many years ago when Paypal/eBay did the "eCheck" thing, that was exactly what the reason was--to garner interest while peoples' money sits in their bank accounts for 10 business days. Now it's 21 days. I really doubt the primary reason for this is seller protection. Just think how much money they make from interest from millions of peoples' payments sitting in their bank accounts for 3 weeks.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Even if we were to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are helping buyers another issue will arise. Anything we purchase we may be buying from embittered sellers. The quality of the items we are getting may be overembellished to make up for the added overhead, or the prices may simply rise to overcome it. Maybe over theorizing the situation I realize. :lol:

My other auction hasn't even been paid yet. They may have realized they over-bid(which they did), or they intentionally drove up the price of my items under a fake I.D. so that they would get a better price for their item that they're selling under their real I.D. Either way I'll give them a few days. I'm in no hurry. Maybe they want it, but don't have the funds yet. I can wait a bit.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I just realized that I got neutral feedback on the one that didn't pay! :shock:
WTF?? :lol: I don't care either way, just cracks me up. :lol:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170773899858

Any suggestions? I'll let them back out, but seriously?? :lol:
Ken

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Any suggestions? I'll let them back out, but seriously?? :lol:
give them a nonpayment strike for being so stupid is my suggestion.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

klavy69 wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Any suggestions? I'll let them back out, but seriously?? :lol:
give them a nonpayment strike for being so stupid is my suggestion.

Todd
I tend to agree Todd. I'm more pissed about the neutral feedback than anything. I mean if they'd contacted me and explained I'd have let them off. Obviously I won't see any money and that's fine with me. I may have never seen it from ebay anyway! :lol:
Ken

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

So maybe ebay's new strategy is making bids automatically for people without their consent?

How do you get 45 from 79? :roll: :mrgreen:

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I just realized that I got neutral feedback on the one that didn't pay! :shock:
WTF?? :lol: I don't care either way, just cracks me up. :lol:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170773899858

Any suggestions? I'll let them back out, but seriously?? :lol:
LMAO! :lol: Now that's funny! I also received a Neutral feedback, from a guy in Brazil.
I sent him his options about shipping (I made him choose before I send the invoice), some weeks passed without a word from him and then suddenly I got a Neutral feedback saying "ok". WTH? He didn't even pay me yet?! I lost money on that - I paid for the extra pics and of course FVF. I was going to cancel the transaction to at least get some of my money back from the FVF, but it wasn't worth it. I still have the box of Kyosho Spider parts, boxed up ready for shipping. I had to move it to my storage locker as it sat for a few weeks in the dining room and got called by the boss. :lol:

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

The goofball said he 'bidded'. :lol:

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

I heard you can get the funds sooner if you message the buyer and tell them to leave you good feedback as soon as they receive the item.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

For all those that would like to try to have a neutral or negative feedback reversed : http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/revision-request.html

Seller Reporting Hub
There is nothing worse than receiving a negative feedback that you didn't deserve. Fortunately, not all is lost. Under certain conditions, eBay will remove negative feedback:

Unpaid item - buyers that don't pay shouldn't be able to leave negative feedback
Feedback Extortion - threatens to leave negative feedback unless you give them something
Feedback abuse - buying for the sole purpose of leaving negative feedback
Unwelcome and malicious buying - buyers not meeting your terms of service
Customs fraud - buyers requesting falsification of customs documents
You can any of these problems using the seller reporting hub help page.

Revising Buyer Feedback
Sometimes buyers hastely leaves negative feedback without first contacting the seller. Often the problems can be ironed out to everyone's satisfaction. The buyer can then revise the initial feedback they left and change the negative feedback to a positive..

Feedback Abuse and Automatic Removal
Under certain conditions, eBay will automatically remove negative feedback from your account. The case in which you will most likely encounter this is when a new eBay user purchases an item but never pays for it. When you hit them with a non-paying bidder alert, the buyer may retaliate with a negative feedback. Usually such buyers will have their account suspended when they have too many unpaid item strikes in a short period of time (the exact number of unpaid item strikes to be suspended is not explicitly defined by eBay). EBay will then automatically remove the offending negative feedback from your account. See the Feedback Abuse, Withdrawal and Removal for more details.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com