Racing in all weather?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CAT3K
Approved Member

Racing in all weather?

Post by CAT3K »

So, i was racing yesterday and the weather was usual for us (wet..)

It got me thinking about racing around the world, and whether any of you guys even bother racing in conditions like that. Racing in the pouring rain is a normal thing in the UK, but is it normal everywhere else?

Here's my buggy after i got home, i just threw it into the hauler after racing. I'll do my usual and strip it of electrics then it goes in the dishwasher :lol: It's the quickest way to clean it.

Paul.

slim_chance
Approved Member

Re: Racing in all weather?

Post by slim_chance »

I never raced in wet conditions but I have bashed in some nasty conditions with my old Kyosho Tracker. Back then I had to put all my electronics in balloons. One time you couldn't even tell what color any part of it was. Back then my mom wouldn't let me use the sink so I had to hose it off in the back yard.
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

we rarely run in wet conditions, our season closer last november was also a charity trophy race, the track was frozen and was thawing poorly. so we moved to a 1/5 scale track, drier (yet still wet) loamy soil. it was alot of fun but the cars were so nasty afterwards. if it wasn't a charity race we would have rescheuled.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

We raced 1:8 IC onroad in the wet all the time - it was not so much racing as it was trying to make points. When the DTM Cars (based on 4wd buggies) were popular we would race in the rain, using all sorts of home made methods to protect the ESC, receivers and servos. 1:6 Large scale was always run no matter weather. During the start of the Euro Cup in Germany races were not canceled based on weather, so to make the rankings you were better off to race if you needed to make points, and sit it out if you were standing well within the rankings. During this time Tamiya brought out the RD Tire cap, so you could cover your foams on your F1, with this rubber "inner tube" and run in the rain. Also the radial super grip "rain tires" came out for the Touring cars. It was so much fun. Although the only thing now I would run now is 1:6, nothing else. Call me old lol

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I've never run in rain/wet conditions in an actual race- but do at our practice track at home all the time with one specific car- it's actually really fun and adds a bit of realism to it

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

in florida rain is the rule not the exception and especially right now when were getting into the rainy season. we've raced in the rain a few times and ive gone out to practice when the track is less than ideal

we put a new load of clay down the other week and while we were waiting for the clay to arrive i took a play car out in the muck

only way i could get it off was with a hammer and a screw driver after i made the mistake of driving through the shellrock gravel that surrounds the track

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Don't really have that problem since our track is indoor.

MOmo

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

one time about 13 year ago we were having a charity race RACE AGAINST CANCER out in cal city which is straight desert HOT HOT HOT i think they get less than a 10th of a inch of rain a year . Just so the day of the race rite before the mains a freak thunder storm came in i was just about to race truck, They took some time for the wind and the rain to stop but it wouldnt so the said race must go on! so i grabbed a plastic grocery bag poked a hole so my antenna could go through for my M8 and we started to race. it was so muddy and windy that when the trucks would go buy it was spraying mud up to the drivers stand. so not only were we trying to drive ,avoid the mud also the wind was blowing everyones grocery bag up there antenna which was acting like a big parachute slapping other drivers in the face. The only way i could really tell which truck was mine is that i had about a 16in florecent pink antenna tube,that seemed to not get any mud on it. fun times,
even funner trying to turn marshall the next race.
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

I've been racing since the 80's here in Australia.

We use to race when the track was damp & a little light rain ( Spitting as it's called here) That was back in 87,88. Any wetter we packed our gear up. In general when wet or raining we stop racing or didn't race. We all feared that the electrics will short.

When i was on a working holiday visiting my parents in the U.K i decided i will try racing while over there. I bought over as much gear as possable. Even my lathe. So my first race was a round of the BRCA championship. I was racing my XX4 Worlds. I managed to find the Stotfold track . ( No GPS back than in 2005) It started to rain in a qualifier that i was in. I wanted to pull in but they all kept going. I avoided the puddels and managed to do pretty well. I met up with Darryn from DMS racing. He gave me some race tape to cover all the bottom slots on the chassis. Some Blu tack for the rx crystall. Taped up the shell really well & off we went in the rain. Astro turf was awesome in the rain with a 4wd. I was given a plastiv bag to hold my radio in. A few guys shorted out there cars but a lot didn't bother yo avoid the puddels.

Was great that the rain didn't spoil the day as i drove 3hrs to get there.

Had the best time racing in the U.K.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

I suppose if we didn't race in the rain we'd have a severely restricted season :wink:

Although in the winter i have to resort to my fleece lined tranny muff :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

CAT3K wrote:tranny muff :lol:
A tranny with a muff is a damn rare thing.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
CAT3K wrote:tranny muff :lol:
A tranny with a muff is a damn rare thing.
"When using with a long airel, you need to have a small hole"? :shock: