Corally Touring Cars

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Corally Touring Cars

Post by DerbyDan »

The bulk of my racing takes place at my local club in Kettering (Northants, UK) on a Friday evening - we mostly run touring cars and as such any extra racing at the weekends tends to be at other touring car clubs nearby aswell.

Unlike many other racers I know I try to get my money's worth out of my cars & I tend to keep my cars for a while before they get retired. Since late 2007 I have been running the original Corally Phi chassis (released after the RDX) & it has served me well, indeed I sat down the other night with my mate (& fellow racer) & worked out that this car may have taken me to around 350-400 race wins (taking into account qualifying runs). During this time it has also clocked up four championship series victories - the one I am most proud of being the 2010 Winter Series win at the well supported Hinckley club (in 13.5 boosted class). Apart from driveshaft & diff maintenance parts & numerous rear wishbones :mrgreen: the car is largely original, but I must admit it is starting to look/feel very tired.

Early on this year I spotted the a BINB kit of the latest spec 09' Corally Phi chassis for sale on ebay, this car has a very narrow chassis & straight wishbones. I waited patiently & eventually I got the car for a bargain £140, helped by the fact that the new 'HMX' model has just been released. I have only in the last few weeks managed to get the car running but early signs are promising - the best thing is that everything is tight & slop-free... i.e new.

Anyway here's some passing-out photos of my out-going Phi 07' wearing the rather battered Dodge Stratus shell that it has worn for the past year or so...

Here's some pictures of the new car - it takes a keen eye to notice that its a different car a first glance - but it shares few main parts with the older car (it was actually becoming difficult to find spares for the old car) I would say that IMO the current Xray car is the best out there - so many neat features & so well designed & manufactured, but as I already had a number of Corally spares in my box & for how much the ebay car cost it made sense to stick with the Corally brand;

Hope you don't mind me sharing my ramblings.....

midse
Approved Member

Re: Corally Touring Cars

Post by midse »

A friend had a corally pan style chassis and I even used a corally esc for a few months. Are they supported well locally. They're not well supported here nor are Schumacher any more. Where do you buy your corally gear?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

midse wrote:A friend had a corally pan style chassis and I even used a corally esc for a few months. Are they supported well locally. They're not well supported here nor are Schumacher any more. Where do you buy your corally gear?
I'm sponsored by ModelTech (hence all the stickers) who are UK distributers for Corally. Mike (the propriator) has been a good friend for many years & lives literally 5mins up the road from me, so its easy to pop in for the odd part etc. I also live very close to the Schumacher factory - a number of friends run the Mi4 & we all use the Schumacher supplied Sorex tyres at our local club, so again its handy just to pop by to buy parts from the door.

Where are you based midse? I know that Touring Cars & On-road racing in general has seen a downturn in popularity - which in turn seems to have affected the development & supply by many manufacturers - here in the UK it seems very hard to get hold of parts for the Hot Bodies cars.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Looks a killer with new body and all.

I really like these corally touring cars - I have an old C4 (like semtex in my hands :) ) I used to ride (I´m the extra obstacle on the course) I felt it was a big improvement from my "almost" new SST :)

In 2008, I bought a RDX kit (reduced price due to the PHI´s ) to build and put on the shelf.
Gone fishing