10L and 10lss dimensional question, track width looks funny.

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

10L and 10lss dimensional question, track width looks funny.

Post by GoMachV »

The SS front looks way too narrow? Or is the rear too wide?

In the wide car, wide pod, the rear looks like a go kart lol. I have swapped around some hubs but the rears appear to be correct. I know the rubber caps make it look a little off, but the hubs are centred in the chassis.

Any ideas?

It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

rooster
Approved Member

Re: 10L and 10lss dimensional question, track width looks fu

Post by rooster »

On your SS, validate your left rear hub, I believe it should be the same height as the RC10L left hub. However, the right rear hubs are definitely two different size heights.

Good luck...

R_

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Your 10LSS looks really wide at the rear. Left hub seems too long, and the right diff hub should be shorter than on a 10L.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I Thought so too! I'm going to have to check some part numbers to get her back to the correct track. The standard car looks really wide too, but I think it may be the capped tires.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Also, your LSS has L nerf wings. The LSS nerf wings are smaller. The car should be 200-210 mm wide.

The 10L's width looks fine to me.

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

the car on the right should have a narrow ss pod on the rear and shorter nerfs as someone else pointed out. the car on the left has hubs that are too wide i think :?: im kinda scratching my head on this one. it doesn't look right.
take a look at this pic of a few of my cars and you will see what i am talking about. the pic is not the greatest but its the only one i could find to try to help you out.
The car on the right is a standard 10L and the cars on the left are both SS's i have modded these cars big time since that pic but thats besides the point ha ha.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Thanks everyone....i got some poking around to do. That'swhat happens when you buy a "lot" of parts :mrgreen:
Factory Works website

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

as far as i can tell both chassis are LSS's either way they are nice cars. You can always run them that way. I had a car set up like the one on the right and it was fine. I sold it on ebay a while back.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i don't know, i kinda think the chassis on the right is a 10L (aftermarket...... don't know the mfg.). the front suspension mounts seem closer together than a standard 10L though. but, farther apart than a 10lss.

what the difference (width wise) between the 2? the one on the left is definately narrrow (ss).

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

you have got me scratching my head a little more now. hmmm??? either way the chassis on the right is a pretty cool aftermarket version.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yeah and its pretty pristine :mrgreen:
Its narrow but not a SS (from what I can tell) because of the front track and looks like it should have had a wide pod but maybe that's my real issue. A narrow pod would be great on it, especially with those caps. They have some offset to them. I will slap on some standard tires and measure them up

As far as right side hub, should a SS have a narrow or wide hub and axle? All my axles are set up for that long hub, and without more than a small shim the right side hubs fit with the correct widths to match.

Here they were when I first got them....the cutout on the drivers side rear of the wider car makes me think it had to be a wide pod car

Factory Works website

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

gomachv wrote:Yeah and its pretty pristine :mrgreen:
Its narrow but not a SS (from what I can tell) because of the front track and looks like it should have had a wide pod but maybe that's my real issue. A narrow pod would be great on it, especially with those caps. They have some offset to them. I will slap on some standard tires and measure them up

As far as right side hub, should a SS have a narrow or wide hub and axle? All my axles are set up for that long hub, and without more than a small shim the right side hubs fit with the correct widths to match.
SS has a narrow axle and narrow diff hub. The narrow diff hub has the outer bearing (closest to wheel) flush with the outer edge of the hub IIRC, while the outer bearing is recessed on the long diff hub. I think the left hubs are the same width.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Drat! Looks like the bsr's were messing with me on the one...it is still the same width but looks more "normal"

With a pair of old bolink tires....

Still looking into the ss car, it came with the wide hubs and axle apparently. The only other axle in the box is set up for tiny diff rings (stealth?) Which I think makes it a 1/12 axle....right?
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'd have to look into it, but i think the 10lss and 12l use the same rear axle.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I think I saw that somewhere as well, thinking it must be an aftermarket axle as the diff rings look the same size as early stealth rc10 rings.
Factory Works website