Gearing help RC10B3

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

2500M_Sub
Approved Member

Gearing help RC10B3

Post by 2500M_Sub »

Asked this in the RC10 buggy forum but maybe it was not the best place. I took the advice of those that answered my question regarding updating my B3 to brushless. I purchased a Castle SV2 sidewinder and 4600 4 pole motor. What gearing should I have on my car. I believe the car has an 81 tooth spur gear so what pinion gear should I get? Do I need to change the spur also? Also I have read that folks have updated the slipper to a b4 slipper is this needed? What is the benefit? Appreciate your help. I will be driving it mostly on the street but may occasionally go offroad, if that makes a difference?

Regards,

Ren

jwscab

Re: Gearing help RC10B3

Post by jwscab »

switching over to a b4 slipper has a couple of benefits, the dual pads stay a little more consistent with heat, the parts are readily available(pads, spurs etc), so you can get them from your LHS or ebay etc very cheaply and easily. With a greater slipper area, you should also have a better adjustment range, ie, it's easier to adjust to your sweet spot.

for non competitive racing, if you already have the B3 parts, I would just keep them as-is.

everything I read in a 2 second google search says a 4600kV motor is equivalent to a good 12t brushed motor. You should be able to easily find a good gearing selection on the internet, maybe even the manual or other associated documents.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Ran off-road at my test track 81/18 in the T3 today (7cell nimh), v1 ESC/ 4600 and the motor just got warm after 2 4200 batts. My FDR is... 81/18 = 4.5 X 2.4 = 10.4. It should be a decent place for you to start if you're running that voltage. It's a new system for me, I haven't tried it in the B3 yet but I think that would be fine maybe even push the pinion up a tooth or two. I don't race competitively, so the transmission/slipper is stock and will probably stay that way.

What voltage are you running or plan to run? If more voltage than what I'm running, try a 16/81 or 14/81 with the B3-T3 stealth.
-Kevin

2500M_Sub
Approved Member

Post by 2500M_Sub »

Im looking at running the gens ace 5000 mah 40C 7.4 volt. Appreciate the advice.

Regards,

Ren

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Any chance to play yet? :wink:
I tossed the v1/4600 in the b3 and had a blast :mrgreen: I pinioned up 1 tooth to 81/19 no problem at all. Definitely could push it more. I haven't messed much with punch or advancing the timing, still at no timing advance and punch at the lowest setting :roll: Trying to keep it out of wheelie mayhem :lol:
-Kevin

2500M_Sub
Approved Member

Post by 2500M_Sub »

Nope not yet. I am always at a loss for things to put on my Christmas list for my relatives so I have all the remainig stuff I need on the list. Also I ordered some jc racing wheels but they sent the wrong wheels so I will be waiting two weeks for the correct ones. I will be painting the new body tomorrow and will post pics in the buggy forum of the progress.

Regards,

Ren

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

OK gotcha.

What wheels and what color did they send you? If they're for Asso 1/4 axels and you don't plan to send them back, maybe someone here might want them :wink:
-Kevin

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

I am also interested in this, as I will plan to race my b3 Tuesday night. I have a 78t spur and 19t pinion with a 10.5t brushless motor. Might need another tooth on the pinion.

2500M_Sub
Approved Member

Post by 2500M_Sub »

teman wrote:OK gotcha.

What wheels and what color did they send you? If they're for Asso 1/4 axels and you don't plan to send them back, maybe someone here might want them :wink:
They sent me the 5 star black wheels for the 1/4 axle. Too late though I opened up the holes to accept the 3/16 axles :D . Think they came out decently true. I will wait to see which style I like better once the replacement wheels come in before I glue the tires up.

Regards,

Ren

2500M_Sub
Approved Member

Post by 2500M_Sub »

teman wrote:Any chance to play yet? :wink:
I tossed the v1/4600 in the b3 and had a blast :mrgreen: I pinioned up 1 tooth to 81/19 no problem at all. Definitely could push it more. I haven't messed much with punch or advancing the timing, still at no timing advance and punch at the lowest setting :roll: Trying to keep it out of wheelie mayhem :lol:
Was thinking of starting with an 18 tooth. Is your car doing wheelies with that combo? I want to avoid that at all costs. Guess I need to read up on how to adjust the speed control.

Regards,

Ren

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Another way to control the power is to dial down the throttle using a modern programmable radio.
My brother does this for his B4 with his Fly-sky, it works well for him. I think just dialing down the punch and letting the clutch slip a little will work fine for you.
-Kevin

2500M_Sub
Approved Member

Post by 2500M_Sub »

teman wrote:Another way to control the power is to dial down the throttle using a modern programmable radio.
My brother does this for his B4 with his Fly-sky, it works well for him. I think just dialing down the punch and letting the clutch slip a little will work fine for you.

Cool the Fly-sky 2.4 3 channel radio is the one I will be using. Thanks.

Regards,

Ren

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

^ seems like a decent radio system, just be careful of 3 things...
the plastic on the throttle is weak - the reverse part of it anyway
don't drop it or say bye-bye to the LCD
on the receiver, careful of the 1" or so part that sticks out beyond the sheath - the shorter that gets the shorter the range you're going to have.

OK back to the topic :oops:...
I'll toss some road tires on the B3 and do some road raging, might have to change the gearing a little to keep it from doing wheelies not sure really though. In all honesty, my B3 hasn't been driven onroad since I bought the Castle system, but I'd be interested to see what the GPS says it does speed wise running a conservative FDR :mrgreen:
-Kevin

2500M_Sub
Approved Member

Post by 2500M_Sub »

Cool , thanks for the heads up. Road raging is what I will be doing :mrgreen: . I have a set of Traxxas anaconda tires waiting for the JC racing wheels and also have 2 sets of different proline onroad tires and wheels for it. Dont have any offroad tires though, I think the original unused wheels and tires got donated by mistake some years ago :cry: . The track near me is a 1/8 track and my car would get killed there so just planning to run it on the street plus if I go to the track I would be inclined to start running my 1/8 nitro buggy again.

Regards,

Ren

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Ran it last night on my street, dozens of high speed passes :mrgreen: I didn't change anything but the tires to buggy Dirt Hawg III's all around. It was a little cold so there some wheel spin. No wheelies to speak of, topped out in the low 30ish mph range on 8.4v which is fine with me. ESC & motor were barely warm (my main concern is not damaging the electronics). Again thinking gearing could be pushed much more, 81/19 feels conservatively safe to start with.
-Kevin