Outrages falling from the sky... what now?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

FuriousMonkey

Outrages falling from the sky... what now?

Post by FuriousMonkey »

so I recently had 3 outrages literally fall into my lap for free. :)

I have one up and running which my son is enjoying. Of the 2 remaining I'd like to get one up and running and have it be somewhat decent. I've read that these share the same parts as the Kyosho Ultima. Need your guys advice on what to tackle first (suspension, wheels/tires, etc). it's been 25 years since I've worked on a r/c so any suggestion is appreciated.

thx

highwayracer
Approved Member

Re: Outrages falling from the sky... what now?

Post by highwayracer »

I think the first thing would be to put bearings in the cars that you'll be running. Shocks are oil filled plastic...which should be ok. There are plenty of 2.2 wheels and tires out there (from other companies) that will work with these cars.

FuriousMonkey

Post by FuriousMonkey »

I've found a parts list for an ultima but not for an outrage yet.. from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong) most of the ultima parts will work for the outrage. I'm guessing the same for the bearing sizes?

also.. I hooked up the motor from the second chassis I want to get going into the first and it appears seized. any recommendations on a motor for these things.

sorry for the dumb questions.. I didn't think my forray back into r/c would be with a car so old.. ehem.. vintage

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

The bearings for an ultima should be the same. if I remember correctly:

6 - 5mmx10mm (rear hubs and top shaft in the gearbox)
4 - 4mmx8mm (front wheels)
2 - 4mmx8mm flanged (for the large gear outside of the gearbox)
2 - 8mmx14mm (not sure of the size...for the diff)

the only parts that are different from the ultima are:

Chassis - ultima has an aluminum rail or graphite plate. outrage is abs plastic...so don't get motor spray on it.
Shock Towers - ultima has either aluminum or fiberglass...outrage has flexible plastic
Shocks - ultima has either aluminum (red, gold platinum) or kelron plastic (ultima 2) in different lengths. The plastic shocks on the outrage are different. If they start to leak, you should replace the black O-rings with the orange O-rings (look at an associated rebuild kit)
Rear axles - I don't remember if the outrage uses a pressure fit aluminum hex like the ultima or a pin in the axle that holds a plastic hex.
Wheels - same size as yours, but different styles and colors.
Top plate - ultima has plastic, fiberglass while the outrage only has 2 piece plastic plates
Tie rods - ultima uses a ball end and a rod or turnbuckle. the outrage has a plastic bar
Body

As for the motor, check to see that there isn't a small screw or something causing it to bind. Can it be turned by hand?...is it so dirty that there is no electrical contact between the comm and the brushes?

As for upgrades...you'll eventually need new tires. The 1.9 fronts and 2.0 rears are very expensive and hard to find. If your rear axles use a pin to hold the hex in place, then you can use the 2.15 traxxas wheels. The fronts require a 5x11 bearing, but you can buy bearing adapters from hpi to fit the 4x8 bearings. The rears use the pin but no hex. You'll then be able to use the modern tires for your cars.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJJ72&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJJ73&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN055&P=7

Good luck...and post your progress.

Regards,
Roger

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I have a new in box outrage, if you need any pics let me know. I'm not really set up for doing .pdf's or anything proper but can get you snapshots.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

FuriousMonkey

Post by FuriousMonkey »

Thanks for all the feedback. Going to order some bearings this weekend.

As far as the motor, I was able to turn it by hand but still nothing when I put power to it. Im suspicious that there is a break in one of the connection cable leads. Going to see if that's the issue this weekend.

Also took one of the bodies and tried the paint removal with DOT 4 brake fluid. Works like a charm and that was only a or minute test run. I'll take some pics and show the results soon