Optima Mid Custom CVD conversion info needed.

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

OMC-Mikey

Optima Mid Custom CVD conversion info needed.

Post by OMC-Mikey »

Good morning, I've just joined (pls read my introduction on the welcome thread) as I'm running my olde OMC I bought yrs ago.

I've bought loads of modern parts to improve it like a 60A ESC, 9T brushless motor, a 6000mA Lipo (fits, just!!) more ball bearings.
Some things I disliked about the original car were:
Bushings which trashed the original drive cups so I ball raced it.
The MSC, now fixed/replaced.
The horrible steering setup up which I believe is down to the servo saver but stand to be corrected and I'm trying to find the thread where the chap from Alberta, CA, sorted to with a servo mounted saver to bell-crank setup, it looked great!
And finally, the dog bones...I'd like to o over to CVD's. I've seen a stack of really cheap ones from Chinese sellers on the Bay of E but none seem to say 'these will work fine for Optima Mid Custom, etc.'.

I've read some great threads on here about the CVD conversion but have not managed to find any sellers.
There's this guy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320972640401?var=510077274988&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

...But again, he's vague on what they'll fit.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Mike.

Percymon
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid Custom CVD conversion info needed.

Post by Percymon »

Optima mid dog ones are 62.5mm between the pins so none of those CVDs on eBay will fit.

Kyosho LA245 fit with a couple of shims apparently. Later zx5 dog ones are different lengths front and rear, one may be suitable but info from sellers is a bit sketchy !

I got a pair of very good used optima cvds from eBay last week for equiv of $15, perfect fit with no messing about with shims :)

OMC-Mikey

Post by OMC-Mikey »

Thanks, I forgot to say that I can use the straight type with the hole for a drive pin onto a non taper 12mm hex as I can use the hexes from my Maverick rock crawler until I buy new ones.

There are a ton of CVDs out there for around the £4/$7 mark which I find incredible (but not complaining!!) and just want to know if anyone has found a seller that can supply ones that will work on my OMC.

I'll see what a search of 'LA245' comes up with...

Mike.

OMC-Mikey

Post by OMC-Mikey »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Racing-ZX5-20-HD-Rear-Swing-Shaft-Heavy-Duty-Set-For-Kyosho-Lazer-ZX-5-Buggy/111007294733?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8946614651288736577%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D320972640401%26

...as you said, they don't say if they'll work on an OMC and whilst cheaper than the £50/pair OEM Kyoshos they are still 3x more than those I've seen from China...at £4/pair inc. delivery they are almost to be used as a consumable!!

I'll be running the car in all weathers so they'll get paggered with anything from sand/dust to mud/water.

One tip I can pass on to people running worn dog bones is to wrap a couple of layers of ptfe tape around each end...though only good for one outing it does take up a bit of the slack and retards the inevitable wear.

Mike.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

3Racing makes CVDs like those in several lengths for the Lazer ZX-5. I'm pretty sure they come in 62.5, 65.5, 68 and 73mm bone lengths, but I can't remember which part number is for the 62.5mm. The quality is quite good, actually. I use the ZX5-19's, I think, with the GPM alloy arms that are a perfect fit for Optima/Turbo Optima arms, but add about 5mm length. The 68mm CVDs are a perfect match for those arms. (You can check out my CYANide, Barney & OptiMutt builds for more info on those GPM rear arms, I used those on all 3 cars.)

As you noted, switching to those CVDs means changing to 5mm straight axles, 12mm hexes & crosspins, a much better solution than tapered axles and friction-fit hexes, which doesn't cut it for the torque of today's brushless electronics.

Which of those 3Racing part numbers is for the 62.5mm length?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

OMC-Mikey

Post by OMC-Mikey »

"(You can check out my CYANide, Barney & OptiMutt builds for more info on those GPM rear arms, I used those on all 3 cars.)"...

Mate, I already have and I'm very impressed.

For the time being I'd just like to 'throw' on some CVD's as my dog bones are pretty worn.

I'll be uploading pics of the car and it is 'well used', for sure. I am spending on it but only where needed at the minute and I'm not putting expensive OEM CVD's on just for them to get trashed.

I have just modded the front end to give an extra 4-5mm wheelbase and this has now stretched the angles of the dogbones to the absolute limit!

I have emailed a few of the Chinese sellers asking for dimensions but not had a single reply which is frustrating as I'm sure that once word gets round that 'this' seller sells 'these' CVD's for 'that' model and 'they're perfect' then they'd get a load more custom...but what do I know (",)

I'll keep trying.

Thanks.

Mike.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

OMC-Mikey wrote:I have emailed a few of the Chinese sellers asking for dimensions but not had a single reply which is frustrating as I'm sure that once word gets round that 'this' seller sells 'these' CVD's for 'that' model and 'they're perfect' then they'd get a load more custom...but what do I know
That's true Mike, and that's what makes resto-modding these old cars a major challenge. Sometimes you buy something just because it looks right, and hope it fits. Usually it doesn't. :roll: :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

OMC-Mikey

Post by OMC-Mikey »

This is a quick pick of the little tip mentioned above...it does help to reduce the amount of play if you're running an car with worn parts.

Mike.
Attachments
dogbonejpgsmall1.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

If it was either run that or not run the car--I wouldn't run the car. :?

OMC-Mikey

Post by OMC-Mikey »

Mate, it's not that bad but I understand and respect your mechanical sympathy (",)

I am currently thinking about epoxying a length of nylon tube between the diff outputs and the hubs, letting it set and then fitting it and seeing how it reacts.

No friction and hopefully no twist which will shorten the 'shaft' and pull in the hub/wheel.

I have some of the original hubs which got trashed by the bush type bearings and I will use these as prototypes but I think the idea is sound if I can get the epoxy to hold.