Anybody with zx5 parts handy,, can compare to mid parts?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Anybody with zx5 parts handy,, can compare to mid parts?

Post by rccars4sal »

Having a brain storm here. Can anybody compare zx5 arms to optima mid arms, or zx arms? ZX5 parts are cheap, and they would look cool on a mid. Unfortunately,, I aint got zx5 parts on hand anymore.

Thanks!

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Re: Anybody with zx5 parts handy,, can compare to mid parts?

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

The hinge pins are the same diameter, but the arms will need a lot of spacers to fit properly, as they are much narrower than the Mid arms.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I was toying with kx1 arms on the 3rd mid today. Those are a great fit and almost as wide as a stock mid. I still like the idea of zx5 arms though. It would be possible to tune for ultimate travel and optimum sag,,, possibly resulting in a fantastic handling vintage buggy.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The Optima Mid is already a fantastic-handling vintage buggy, it can hold it's own with modern buggies on some track conditions. I doubt you'll significantly improve handling by changing the arms. What are you aiming for? Longer arms for a wider track? Do that and you'll also be changing out the dogbones or CVDs for longer ones.

GPM makes alloy rear arms for the Tamiya DF-02 that are an almost perfect swap for Optima/Turbo Optima & Mid rear arms. You'll need to drill a hole in the rears of the arms to mount the stabilizer assembly, and get a set of 3Racing 68mm CVD's for the Lazer ZX-5 to compensate for the extra 5mm length of the rear arms.

The CVD axles are drilled for crosspins & 12mm hex hubs so you can mount modern hex wheels.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ALLOY-REAR-LOWER-SUSPENSION-ARM-B-TAMIYA-DF-02-DF02-/400345568422?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d367494a6

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Racing-Front-Swing-Shaft-Heavy-Duty-For-Lazer-ZX-05-/160919391439?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25778b0ccf

As far as fronts go, I haven't been able to source aluminum arms anywhere that would be an easy swap for the Optima series' front arms, that don't alter the geometry significantly.

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

If you can find them, aftermarket arms for the Kyosho GP-10 cars will work, since the GP-10 used Optima arms in the first place...

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Im not looking to acomplish anything in particular. Original intent was to use what I have on hand to save $$ on the last build, but even that will cost a small amount to get rear hubs for the kx1 arms,, or I could go 4w steering and use kx1 fronts all around.... its tempting,, but would still likely have to scrap together some swing shafts to match. I like the look of the df arms. Wondering about that pretty blue steering set up too. I would like this last op mid build to be different from the others, and cost fewer $$ too!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That blue alloy bellcrank is also a Tamiya part; it's ball-raced and silky smooth and works as good or better than the stock steering assembly, and more beefy. I paid less for it than people were asking for the A & L yellow nylon one. It mounts right to the existing chassis plate holes, but you'll need to use a servo-mounted servo saver. All the details are listed in the OptiMutt thread in my signature.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

I have tried zx5 arms on my mid if you have read my blog . While its entirely possible to fit them , the problem is after you add so many spacers, the hingepins bend easily. By contrast, with original arms or lazer zx arms, i dont bend any hingepind. Besides, the wheel rate of the zx5 arms are all wrong for the mid or zx. They will cause your suspension to be too hard.