Pro-Line Waffle tire for Dirt Oval

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

xxx2fast4u
Approved Member

Pro-Line Waffle tire for Dirt Oval

Post by xxx2fast4u »

I ran across a set before when purchasing a used car but I didn't pay much attention to them and sold them off. Now I am rebuilding a RC10 based sprint car and wanted to get a set of front/rear waffle tires.

1. The set I had was front/rear, did they cut a rear set down for the fronts?
2. Did most run the waffle tires on Dual Sport wheels? They were black wheels from what I remember.
3. Post some pics if you have any, most of them that I find are not mounted up.

Thanks,
Josh

Phin
Approved Member

Re: Pro-Line Waffle tire for Dirt Oval

Post by Phin »

You can find all that info in the Proline catalog in the scans section.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7825

xxx2fast4u
Approved Member

Post by xxx2fast4u »

Thank you Phin, much appreciated!

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Around central New York the 1.6" waffles were THE rear tires to have for the dirt/clay ovals. Everybody ran them on the stock 1.6" wheels for years, but I'm not sure if guys drilled out the stock AE wheels, swapped over to 1/4" rear axles, or ran DS rear wheels when the B3-based cars became prevalent. I know they fit DS wheels, if you didn't trim the extra lip off the inside of the tire.

Front tires and wheels were from the Tamiya Sand Scorcher/Frog/etc. Walt's Hobby, the biggest shop/track in the area (the only one for about an hour in any directly really), bought the last remaining stock from one of the major distributors, something like 500 pairs. Eventually, late 90's sometime, somebody cut down a set of rear waffles to fit the Tamiya front wheels, and then pretty much everybody had to.

For years and years the hot setup around the area was an RC10 with Pro-Line waffles in the rear, Tamiya tires up front, and a multi-piece DIRT modified body. Most guys wouldn't even bother offsetting the battery or using short shocks or anything like that, really almost an off-road setup. I don't know if the tracks were too rough or too slippery or what, but the dedicated dirt oval cars never really took off here (neither did 4WD, or late models). In the late 90s or early 2000's everybody switched to the Kranzel Terminator chassis, but a little while later dirt oval petered out in the immediate area and Walt's converted to carpet oval and I have no idea what happened after that lol

I gave it a go with a Composite Craft 10T chassis converted to a mid-motor setup, buggy front end parts in the 10T mounting holes, but I gave up before too long. I wasn't a very good driver and couldn't figure out a good setup, but mostly I didn't like race days that took 4 hours for two 4-minute heats and a main event.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Todd Ferguson did the split waffle first, or it might have been Jason Haag- can't really recall-

Is your name Steve, or is the Steve K thing for Kinser?

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Yeah, my first name is Steve. If I get too creative with my message board names I would probably forget them lol

I know Todd well, he's a good guy. My favorite Todd Fergusson moment was when he calculated how much he spent on individual hop-ups for a Tamiya TA03, instead of buying one of the David Jun models with all the hop-ups in the box.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

SteveK wrote:Yeah, my first name is Steve. If I get too creative with my message board names I would probably forget them lol

I know Todd well, he's a good guy. My favorite Todd Fergusson moment was when he calculated how much he spent on individual hop-ups for a Tamiya TA03, instead of buying one of the David Jun models with all the hop-ups in the box.
Todd's alter-ego (Eddie Edwards) and Jim Konkie are the reason for my long-standing RC nick-name of Reggie Hammer, which came about around 92-ish I knew a few Steve's back in the day, but none with a K-
I was decent friends with Steve Poppy though- the McGraws (more Greg for some reason) etc etc- and Ferguson ran my oval conversions in the last few WDRA Summernats we all attended together-

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Before the Pro-line waffle took off at Walt's old track (clay oval in basement with rc truck pulling in middle), the rear tire to have was a Tamiya Lancia. You had to trim down the inner ring to get them to fit the RC-10 rims.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Dirtdiver wrote:Before the Pro-line waffle took off at Walt's old track (clay oval in basement with rc truck pulling in middle), the rear tire to have was a Tamiya Lancia. You had to trim down the inner ring to get them to fit the RC-10 rims.
I didn't start racing until the new shop was opened, my dad and I went to the old location one day after racing slots at Miniature Gran Prix, ahhhh- the really good-old-days 8)

xxx2fast4u
Approved Member

Post by xxx2fast4u »

Great info guys, thanks for sharing.

I found some on the Vintage DODC forum, should work perfect for my Midget project.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

I have tons of waffles. Also recently picked up a lot with a new set of unmounted Smoothie fronts and dynamite fronts. That was the hot ticket but my poor @ss had smoothies. I did have a set of smoothies I glued onto cw rims and they don't look too bad.