OK, I love this RC10T4; what do I do next…?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sbsyncro
Approved Member

OK, I love this RC10T4; what do I do next…?

Post by sbsyncro »

Hey guys, some who've seen my previous posts may already know this, but I just got into the hobby back in December when my son and I got a couple of Traxxas RTR cars. I'm a tinkering junkie, so I could not resist the temptation at a garage sale to buy 4 file storage bins full of random parts, chassis, etc. even though I had NO idea what I was getting… Well long story short, I ended up spending many nights figuring all this stuff out and managed to build an RC18T, a Slash 2WD, and an RC10T4.1 (I have a bunch of parts left over including a rolling XTM chassis, a Rustler partial roller (no shocks, clutch, or wheels/tires), and the front half of another T4, plus a bag with about 4 sets of AE shocks including the gold and white ones and a bag full of random electronics (crappy servos, AM receivers, crystals) and about 8 brushed motors with a variety of pinion gears.

All are running brushed motors and a variety of different ESCs (the RC18T has the original ESC, the Slash is an XL-5 (waterproof), and the T4 is an LRP "Ai Digital".

Once I got the T4 running I took it out on the street and immediately broke an A-arm because the steering was so messed up. I replaced with RPM and then had to tinker with the steering to get it to work properly (see my other thread). Today was my first off-road session on loose dirt track and all I can say is I LOVE THE WAY THIS THING HANDLES! Even with clapped out shocks and wobbly front suspension, it is very, very fun to drive! So now I'm ready to actually invest in it to make it better (I'm still trying to decide whether to keep or sell the slash and RC18T).

Questions:

(1) How does one improve the steering response and turning radius? The current turning radius is like 6 feet (it takes at least 1/2 of a one lane road). My Rustler VXL turns in about a 2' circle by comparison. The servo is really weak (its the original Airtronics S1903MG and it "cogs" while turning (catches). Thinking about replacing it with a Hitec HS-645MG. Any feedback on that or any similarly priced servo that fits will in the T4?

(2) Need new radio and receiver. The Airtronics AM radio and receiver seem to work fine when within about 20' of the car, but beyond that, the throttle and steering pulse and the further away the car gets, the less speed is being fed to the motor (I can see it slow down and hear it pulsing on and off). Rather than fiddling with this setup and spending money on AM receivers, I'm thinking of just going with a FlySky GT3-C setup. I can get a couple of rx and use them in other cars that I'm currently running AM radios on (like the Slash and the RC18)

(3) Brushless Upgrade - OK, I'm sure this subject is covered AD NAUSEUM elsewhere on this site, and I'll probably spend the afternoon browsing the info, but if anyone wants to chime in with experience, I'd be grateful. I'm leaning towards a Castle Sidewinder combo in maybe a 3800kv motor. For about $100 it seems hard to beat. Is the T4 "brushless ready" or do I need to replace transmission gears, doglegs, etc…?

(4) Strengthening upgrades. I don't race and don't really plan to, but my son and I love to go to our local track and spend afternoons doing laps and fiddling with our cars. We also love taking the cars to a large park near our house filled with deer trails, loose sandy rolling trails, and hard-pack stubbled fields. I definitely need to get a larger bumper (I'm assuming RPM is the way to go). Other than the a-arms which I've already replaced, what else is likely to go? (for example on Traxxas cars, the caster blocks tend to break immediately).

(5) Wheels and Tires. Should I get adapters of some sort to run 12mm hex wheels and tires so that I can swap stuff between all our 1/10 cars? (Slash 2wd, Stampede 2wd, Rustler VXL) or should I stick with the AE style (which is same as Losi, right?)? If the latter, does anyone have recommendations for good tire/wheel combos for loose track conditions and general dirt trail running? (I don't like the term bashing because that's not really what I plan to do with the T4, but its not being built to race, either).

On the fronts, the bearings are captive in the wheels, and the axles seem pretty spindly. Is there an advantage to this, or is there an "upgrade" (?) that would allow for a more typical front axle with built-in bearing carrier and bearings so that I can run Traxxas type wheels? (would that be an advantage or disadvantage?).

Thanks a bunch!
RC10T4.1 Castle Sidewinder SCT & 3800kv 1410
RC18T bone stock
Slash 2WD (brushed)
Rustler VXL - more RPM & Aluminum than stock parts
Stampede 2WD XL5
XTM X-celerator (project)

sbsyncro
Approved Member

Re: OK, I love this RC10T4; what do I do next…?

Post by sbsyncro »

OK I just discovered something - I swapped the engine into another car and the "throttle stuttering" problem followed the motor. The other car also has an AM radio and rx, though a different brand and type. I was also running the car in a completely different area. I'm guessing this must be related to interference from the brushes in the motor because maybe the capacitor connections have broken….?
RC18T bone stock
Slash 2WD (brushed)
Stampede 2WD XL5

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Check capasitors and may need to clean the motors comm.don

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

okay, quick fixes:

1. New servo and buy the factory team aluminum steering parts. I put in a new servo and made all the difference. I personally like the Savox ones

2. Brushless - if you want to go this way (and I recommend you do), then be sure to upgrade the ESC at the same time as you mentioned. 3800 Castle is a good setup but I am running a 4600 Castle with Mamba Max Pro. Killer power and ridiculous run times. Might as well get a Lipo while you're at it - Gens Ace is what I use and 5000 mah 50C or thereabouts will be perfect.

3. Radio - can't beat the value of a Fly Sky system. Go with proven GT3B or try the newer and more stylish GT3C. Both will give great range and are upgradeable and customizable.

4. For tires, (not wheels) I like the Proline Caliber myself because its a good all purpose tire.

As for the RC18T, I spent a fortune on a RC18B and got it running with a huge brushless motor and 3S lipo. Thing just screamed. Was tough as nails too. It can be fun but I eventually traded it for the T4.

Hope this helps!
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

sbsyncro
Approved Member

Post by sbsyncro »

RC104ever wrote:okay, quick fixes:

1. New servo and buy the factory team aluminum steering parts. I put in a new servo and made all the difference. I personally like the Savox ones

2. Brushless - if you want to go this way (and I recommend you do), then be sure to upgrade the ESC at the same time as you mentioned. 3800 Castle is a good setup but I am running a 4600 Castle with Mamba Max Pro. Killer power and ridiculous run times. Might as well get a Lipo while you're at it - Gens Ace is what I use and 5000 mah 50C or thereabouts will be perfect.

3. Radio - can't beat the value of a Fly Sky system. Go with proven GT3B or try the newer and more stylish GT3C. Both will give great range and are upgradeable and customizable.

4. For tires, (not wheels) I like the Proline Caliber myself because its a good all purpose tire.

As for the RC18T, I spent a fortune on a RC18B and got it running with a huge brushless motor and 3S lipo. Thing just screamed. Was tough as nails too. It can be fun but I eventually traded it for the T4.

Hope this helps!
Thanks - very helpful! I ordered the Hitec HS-645MG servo, which sounds like a very good bang-for-the-buck servo (I wasn't quite ready to commit to a $100 servo…). Hopefully I can get the front end "tightened up" enough to take full advantage of it.

I've got a few sets of Traxxas wheels and tires in short course 2.2/3.0 format (like for the Slash). Badlands, Gladiators, and some Talons. Haven't looked into what it takes to run these wheels on the RC10T yet. One thing I noticed while rummaging through my boxes of stuff that I got is that there are different offset front wheels and they have a pretty big effect on handling. Can you tell me what the "factory" offset is for the front wheels? The Calibers are very popular here for our local track. I may have to try a pair.

Oh and as for LiPo batteries, I just sprang for a Dynamite Passport Ultra Duo charger (so far, really like it). We have 3 x 5000 MaH 2s Bastens packs and 3 x 6500 MaH 2s packs from SMC. No shortage of explosive battery materials sitting in my fridge at home… :-)
RC18T bone stock
Slash 2WD (brushed)
Stampede 2WD XL5

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Can't go wrong with a Hitec servo. I should have mentioned I have the Savox low profile servo in almost all my cars. Not super expensive but fast and reliable. Plus the low profile means it just looks nicer :mrgreen:

As for offset, no idea but you might be able to find out at teamassociated.com and look up the discontinued models then download the old original manual for it.

Otherwise, maybe someone will chime in.

Oh one thing - my T4 has the gear differential (not the newer ball diff) and I have to say - I like it a lot. Takes tons of power and I never have to worry about adjusting anything. I just plopped it in and away you go.

Good luck! I really like mine a lot - it takes a lot of abuse and handle well.
- Chris

sbsyncro
Approved Member

Post by sbsyncro »

RC104ever wrote:Can't go wrong with a Hitec servo. I should have mentioned I have the Savox low profile servo in almost all my cars. Not super expensive but fast and reliable. Plus the low profile means it just looks nicer :mrgreen:
Do you mean this one?
http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1251MG_Digital_Servo_p/savsc1251mg.htm

RC18T bone stock
Slash 2WD (brushed)
Stampede 2WD XL5

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Yep, that's the one. Great servo.
- Chris