A little experiment with the B3

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

A little experiment with the B3

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Quite literally a little experiment. I just picked up a Losi Mini 8ight, yanked the stock Excelorin 4500 kv system without even trying it and shoehorned a Velineon 28x45mm 380 can and Dynamite 70A 1/10 ESC in it. To put it mildly, that little 1/14 buggy is an animal now. lol.

Anyway, don't have another 1/16 or 1/18 that's in need of a power system at the moment, but I had yanked the Dynamite 5800KV can out of the B3 last week, as I was offering it as one of three motors to include in a trade. The fellow decided on the HW 9T motor, but I just didn't get around to reinstalling the 5800. Well, experience has shown me that 1/8 ESCs with 1/10 motors makes for a potent system, so..........why not try a little 24x35mm 280 can with a 60A 1/10 ESC in a light weight 1/10 buggy? Mounting is easy; just use the upper slot as intended, and put a decent washer on the lower screw so it bites the side of the pinion cut out on the motor plate.

Stuck with the 16T pinion that was on it in the mini 8ight, and it's surprisingly quick! I'll have to watch temps, but I really don't think it'll be an issue, as even with the 5000 mAh 2S pack, the B3 is just 12 ounces heavier than a stock mini 8ight.

I'll report back after I've had a chance to run it on the track.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: A little experiment with the B3

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I think JK Racing runs a 380 in one of his 1/10th racers and it works really well. I'm not sure what esc he might be running though.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Are any of the 380 size motors sensored? This would be an very tricky way to reduce rear weight bias in a rear motor buggy without going fully to a mid motor buggy.... hhhhmmmmmmm 8)

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

adam lancia wrote:Are any of the 380 size motors sensored? This would be an very tricky way to reduce rear weight bias in a rear motor buggy without going fully to a mid motor buggy.... hhhhmmmmmmm 8)
I think Novak do a brushless micro motor/speedo, quite expensive though - I was looking for one for my Mini-8.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I still have that little 380 motor too :) Its currently bolted up to an A&L Leathal Weapon. I used the speedo that came with it at first, then swapped over to a BHR (hobbywing clone). The little motor woke up with the bigger speedo. Love the little motor/big car idea, still great RPM, but torque is down compared to regular 540 motors, so a bit easier to drive on slippery tracks.

Post up pics, let's see your experiment.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I was looking for one for my Mini-8.
That Velineon 28x45mm 380 can in the mini 8ight is a beast compared to the stock Excelorin 24x35mm. The mini 8ight is a tad on the heavy side as mini buggies go, definitely benefited from the extra torque. Sensorless, but plenty smooth with a decent 1/10 ESC, and you can soften the punch settings a lot without losing performance when this overpowered. Mine still turns into a jumping jack firework if I hammer it, but i can do nice, gentle slaloms at only 2-3 mph.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."