Restomod!?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

treystoys
Approved Member

Restomod!?

Post by treystoys »

Hey guys I have been wanting to post this up, and am finally getting around to it! I picked the first main batch of the parts for this car from a fella on another site. From him I picked up 3 chassis', this goldie, a black tub and a carbon fiber (not sure on the brand) 4 new RPM black arms, 4 well used original arms, a bunch of aluminum goodies, a ball raced stealth tranny, carbon fiber front and rear towers, a set of wheels and tires good for bashing around and a small bag of misc parts.

So, after deciding on building the gold chassis (its an AB stamp) because it was in great shape, I started hunting for parts. First decision was shocks, I really really wanted to do big bores, I have 2 sv based Schumacher race cars and fell in love with the big bores upon the first of those I built and ran. Now had I found this site before my decision, I may have done associated big bores, but instead decided to go with hardened threaded (worlds era? guessing) shock kits just to avoid troubles mounting true big bore shocks. In the end the small bore shocks still lean toward vintage, but being hardened and threaded still have a bit of modern ring lol and the only mods needed to make them work were building them the correct length and stroke also the front lower ball mounts needed to be cut to fit the rpm arms.

Second decision was which transmission, the original purchase included an empty but new aluminum 6 gear case, but also had a nice stealth tranny too. In the end, I went with the stealth for a few reasons, first being the stealths ability to handle a more modern power system, second the parts for the 6 gear innards would have had to be found piece by piece unless I wanted to buy a re-re take out or oe tranny kit for way too much coin. Thinking on that and the fully assembled stealth staring at me I found a stealth spur and called it done. I also decided on MIP cvd's at this point and ordered the kit for the 1/4" bearing'd rear hubs

Next, I needed bearings, and could have gone new, or high end, in the end I just went with a new vintage full set of NMB bearings. I based that on my skater heritage and using NMB bearings successfully when other guys were using swiss and the german stuff.

Wheels were easy, I wanted jelly beans, and aluminum, and I found a gold set on ebay that I was able to do a best offer deal on for a good bit less than the list. Tire wise I ended up doing a proline re-re set mainly due to lack of other options. These of course were for shelf time and occasional runs will be handled by a set of 3 piece 2" fronts and what look like crp 2" rears with some treaded tires.

Now on to electronics, I had build an rc12 4? a while back and had a castle non sensored esc and an orion 17 turn carbon fiber wrapped BL set up. These were new un-used so it was an easy choice. I picked up a nice Savox metal gear aluminum cased black servo for steering duties, and I use a 3TPK FASST system, so I used one of my recievers.

Lastly was the body. I really wanted to use a Kyosho Tomahawk body, as I have a new build on my sons dressor, but it will remain there so I thought it would look cool to have a runner that looked like that. Sadly those bodies do not fit the gold pan, but would have fit the carbon fiber chassis had I choose that to build...Oh well. Second was an original box art style, but didn't think it'd be correct looking with the non oe style build I had. In the end I decided on a TBG lexan monster beetle simply because I like being different. Now, I am by no means a painter, but just sat on the couch and thought about what I could come up with for a 3 color rattle can job, a few hours later the end result speaks for itself :mrgreen: good or bad! lol Oh and the decal selection is whatever I had laying around that could be linked in some way to the build.

I have run it once and am pretty happy with it. I still have to sort out the gearing as I do not own pinions large enough to gear it properly, but with the orion 17 (guessing its similar to a 17.5) a 60c shorty and 82/26 gearing it gets around pretty well, and from what I'm reading on here, will go way faster with more gear!

So without further blabbering here he is...named Doodles Baja bug lol ( I call my 9 month old surprise son Doodles :shock: :lol: )

I know I've left details out of the build, but feel free to comment or ask questions and thanks for looking!

Trey

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Re: Restomod!?

Post by knucklebuster »

Killer 8) Looks like you upgraded all the parts that are prone to breaking :wink:

I am not doubting your decision to build the stealth with parts in hand. Know that the 6 gear is also a reliable trans. Many folks on the board seem to think the 6 gear can only handle a stock motor.

The idlers wear/fail and will likely be the only parts requiring replacement. While the stealth may be more reliable with the internal diff, a properly built 6 gear will take a beating too.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Looks fantastic.

treystoys
Approved Member

Post by treystoys »

Thanks knucklebuster! I do not doubt the 6 gear can hold its own. I've run a few mod set ups in the past with older cars, just not a brushless set up. So having the stealth intact on hand just made my decision a little easier.

And thank you flip!

Trey

twinrider1
Approved Member

Post by twinrider1 »

Beautiful. I'm new to RCs, so maybe it's common, but I really like the rear body mounts on the side like that. Makes for a very clean profile.

treystoys
Approved Member

Post by treystoys »

Thanks twinrider, some buggies throughout the years had mounts like that, Team Losi XXX comes to mind off hand, but I used that arrangement on this build because it suited the body style, and was more solid than having tall body posts sticking up off the back of the buggy.

Trey

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

Looks killer! Where did you find the battery strap¿

treystoys
Approved Member

Post by treystoys »

Thanks Vale! The cf strap came with the chassis parts I originally bought. But looking online I found the same one on eBay if you look up alloy battery cup, and the strap comes with it.

Trey

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Man, I like it! Very nicely done 8)

treystoys
Approved Member

Post by treystoys »

Thanks Mk zero lol I think a 231hp bug is pretty cool too! All motor or turbo?

Trey

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

treystoys wrote:Thanks Mk zero lol I think a 231hp bug is pretty cool too! All motor or turbo?

Trey

Thanks. That's all motor. 100 hp/L NA ;)
If you're interested the dyno is about half way down the page --> http://www.dlkweb.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4435&start=440

Man, I have got to get a bug body on one of my cars, cars like yours inspire me. Maybe my b4.

kineqp
Approved Member

Post by kineqp »

Hi first of all cool looking buggy, awesome body I like it reminds me of the monster beetle. Also was just wondering you're steering cranks are? What make is it, I need one for my car, the one I currently have on it doesn't give enough clearance for the ball cups. So in the end they rub against each other from the steering crank to the shock tower. Yours look like there's a lot of clearance between the steering cranks arm/ball cups and the ball cups on the shock tower.

Thanks

treystoys
Approved Member

Post by treystoys »

I'll definitely check that out Mk! I recently sold my beloved 460whp wrx of 8 years :( No means n/a but a boxer engine as well 8) Was a lot of fun, bought new in 05 stock and built up over the years. Was a solid 11.5@118 car on 93 octane. I'll have another one day maybe, just not practical atm. Plus I have a truck as well, so the race car went. I need a truck to work with.

Kineqp the steering is from Dhawk on ebay. Sadly it suffers a bit from the ball cups touching as well. I have been looking at the Jconcepts and possibly an A&L set up.

Trey

kineqp
Approved Member

Post by kineqp »

Cool thanks for reply, I had a Dhawk on my list to buy but if it just provides the same result, then back to drawing board :)

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

IF REFERING to the cups hitting you haft use stock associated cup at tower or on inside of steering rods when running the RPM cups.DON