RC10 DS from scratch and spares

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dbs179
Approved Member

RC10 DS from scratch and spares

Post by dbs179 »

Hi all,

I decided to roll out my old RC10 Graphite several months ago, followed by a refresh of my Traxxas Eagle, but in my pokings around on RC10Talk, I found an RC I didn't even know existed and fell in love. The amazing DS's in this forum made me want one for myself. I had quite a few extras from my RC10 Graphite build that I thought I could re-purpose, so a new RC10DS was born. I decided I wanted a Super-car that I could never afford and went with the HPI Pagani Zonda body and HPI wheels that are as close to what the Zonda has as I could find. I also found out that the Zonda body is very, very low so I had to replace the very nice RC Carbon Works rear shock tower with some parts I had laying around from back in my carpet oval racing days. They worked out great and gave me the clearance I needed. Anyway, here are some pictures of my progress so far. I suck at painting bodies, but luckily I have a good friend that doesn't who is gonna help me out! :)

I still need to get the track width adjusted. I have some thicker hexes on order for the rear and might have to get offset wheels for the front, but other than that and running gear it is almost done.

Thank you to all of you who have shared your builds and your knowledge on here!

First set of parts - Chassis, Dog Bones, etc.

Front End assembled

Rear End assembled

Completed Roller

Body mostly trimmed and fitted

Thanks,
Dave

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Re: RC10 DS from scratch and spares

Post by LoboNYC »

This DS is looking great!

Love the wheels and the body, never thought of that body but im glad to know it works.

You may want to place the rear suspension arm spacer in front of the axle so it can move the wheel slightly rearward.

It will aide in clearing the body however you may still need to trim a little more.

Will keep watching!

dbs179
Approved Member

Post by dbs179 »

Small update, my buddy who is painting the body for me sent me some pictures. It still isn't finished just yet, but the progress is looking great.

Also, today is my birthday, so the wife and kids surprised me with some nice running gear I was thinking about getting.

Thanks,
Dave

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

dbs179 wrote:Small update, my buddy who is painting the body for me sent me some pictures. It still isn't finished just yet, but the progress is looking great.

Also, today is my birthday, so the wife and kids surprised me with some nice running gear I was thinking about getting.

Hey Dave,

Nice progress with the body and the paint job. Cant wait to see it all done and ready to run!

:mrgreen: Happy belated birthday & nice score on running gear!!! :mrgreen:

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Hey Dave,

Nice progress with the body and the paint job. Cant wait to see it all done and ready to run!

:mrgreen: Happy belated birthday & nice score on running gear!!! :mrgreen:

dbs179
Approved Member

Post by dbs179 »

Lobo,

Thanks for the birthday wishes and kind words. Here is another small update. I have everything on the DS done and the body is finished. I'm just waiting on it to be delivered back from my buddy. Who did an amazing job on the body!!! I can't wait to see it mounted up. :)

Thanks,
Dave

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Body looks great!! And nice build overall. Makes me wish I had a DS I wasn't afraid to run... :( :lol:
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

j-sou wrote:Body looks great!! And nice build overall. Makes me wish I had a DS I wasn't afraid to run... :( :lol:
That's why you have to get several of them j-sou, one can be your shelf queen while the other can be your wench...run and crash as you please.

Trust me although it still hurts inside when you see your DS flip on its lid or hit a curb...you'll have a nice feeling inside knowing the queen is home all safe and sound.

dbs179
Approved Member

Post by dbs179 »

Well, my body came in today. I hate the US Postal Service, box was marked fragile all over and of course it was crushed. The drivers side of the body has a few creases and dents in it. I called the post office, but I would have had better results beating my head on the wall. Oh well, I guess it won't hurt as bad now when I crash it. The end result looks freaking awesome. I think the wheelbase is just a bit too long on the DS to fit perfect, but it is really close. I might have been able to trim the front wheel wells out a little further forward to make it look right, but I didn't. At any rate, I have one pack ran through it. I runs great, I need to find a flat clean parking lot to really see what it will do, and I need to figure out how to keep the rear tires from ballooning up and rubbing the body. This is by far my favorite RC. It looks so cool driving around. Thanks for all of the great posts that inspired this build.

The crushed box.

The creased body.

Thanks,
Dave

dbs179
Approved Member

Post by dbs179 »

j-sou wrote:Body looks great!! And nice build overall. Makes me wish I had a DS I wasn't afraid to run... :( :lol:
Thanks J-Sou, but like I said, I can't take credit for it. I'm not that skilled at painting. :)
Thanks,
Dave

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

dbs179 wrote:Well, my body came in today. I hate the US Postal Service, box was marked fragile all over and of course it was crushed. The drivers side of the body has a few creases and dents in it. I called the post office, but I would have had better results beating my head on the wall. Oh well, I guess it won't hurt as bad now when I crash it. The end result looks freaking awesome. I think the wheelbase is just a bit too long on the DS to fit perfect, but it is really close. I might have been able to trim the front wheel wells out a little further forward to make it look right, but I didn't. At any rate, I have one pack ran through it. I runs great, I need to find a flat clean parking lot to really see what it will do, and I need to figure out how to keep the rear tires from ballooning up and rubbing the body. This is by far my favorite RC. It looks so cool driving around. Thanks for all of the great posts that inspired this build.
Dave,

I may have a fix for that wheelbase issue. I recently trimmed an HPI Mustang Saleen body and like yourself the DS wheel base was just a bid longer than the body. The tires were getting caught on the body when they turned. trimming the body further would have ruined the bodies lines.

My solution was to take an NTC3 foam bumper and mount it on the plastic DS bumper (in my case carbon). the foam will push the nose of the body out and open the wheel well nicely without trimming. now i can turn wheels without touching body...it looks spot on and the nose has a better feel and quieter since the foam minimizes the bodies vibration.

you may need to trim the foam once mounted but its easier than trimming the body. word of advice...trim just a little at a time so its snug.

hope this helps you as good as it did me. keep me posted.