Mabuchi MG 25T 'Buggy Special'

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dinglem
Approved Member

Mabuchi MG 25T 'Buggy Special'

Post by dinglem »

Another MG rarity, and one I have been on the look-out for for a while now, having seen an early advert for them from July '83.

This one is a 25T 'Buggy Special' which somebody found in the back of an original Sand Scorcher - explaining the very well preserved label.

It will now get a bit of a once-over and probably get run in my own Sand Scorcher 8)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
1 MG MC July 83.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

RC10resto

Re: Mabuchi MG 25T 'Buggy Special'

Post by RC10resto »

Nice motor.
Hope they didn't charge you over the "maximum" price for it :P

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Well there were three motors in the auction all together (I was obviously only after the one), so for 30quid i guess that means it was still at the 10pound limit :lol:

I doubt I wil lever find another in such good condition so it was happy to pay whatever it took. It will sit very nicely with the red label Mabuchi and the Igarashi MG's I already have.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

All these UK-special goodies are very good. Crazy how many RC stuff came from the Brits, really... and you guys have always been at the forefront of electric RC, why is that btw?

Anyways - back to the motor... is this any different to any other Mabuchi (except the sticker, I mean). Yes, it's a sealed can :lol: Is the winding specific?

Thanks,
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Mick came from a slot car tuning background, and I have MG adverts dating back to November '77 advertising RS540 and 05 tuning services.

I am not wholly versed on the accepted standard class 540 specifics from '83 but this is certainly a different spec to the other 27T 540 'Modified' motor I have posted up recently (that arrived this morning from Hong Kong in fact!) I am yet to see whether the Buggy Special is ballraced at either end yet. I know they used to pop off the endbells to rewind them etc... and then tape them back on again. You can see the other red label 27T 540 motor has at one time had tape securing the endbell. We have all seen the tiny screws they used to hold the Igarashi endbells in place after they had been removed for alterations.

My three early MG's are 25T and 27T for the Mabuchi 540's, and 26T for the Igarashi. The Igarashi has been rewound and ballraced, and the 27T 'CBB' spec red label MG has also been rewound and ballraced. I am assuming therefore that this 25T has also been rewound by Mick, although i await arrival of the motor itself to confirm whether it was ballraced - i am assuming not due to the 10pound price limit but will have to check. I have seen adverts for case-end ballraced MG 540's from 1983 so it might also be the case. The other option is he took advantage of the BRCA ruling for standard class motors, which i am told stated 'unopened, unmodified motors with a price limit of 10pounds' and sourced some lower wind spec 540's from the supplier which ticked all the boxes but out-performed the higher wind versions and still came in at 10pounds or lower.
RRC March 83.jpg

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

dinglem wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:30 am Mick came from a slot car tuning background, and I have MG adverts dating back to November '77 advertising RS540 and 05 tuning services.

I am not wholly versed on the accepted standard class 540 specifics from '83 but this is certainly a different spec to the other 27T 540 'Modified' motor I have posted up recently (that arrived this morning from Hong Kong in fact!) I am yet to see whether the Buggy Special is ballraced at either end yet. I know they used to pop off the endbells to rewind them etc... and then tape them back on again. You can see the other red label 27T 540 motor has at one time had tape securing the endbell. We have all seen the tiny screws they used to hold the Igarashi endbells in place after they had been removed for alterations.

My three early MG's are 25T and 27T for the Mabuchi 540's, and 26T for the Igarashi. The Igarashi has been rewound and ballraced, and the 27T 'CBB' spec red label MG has also been rewound and ballraced. I am assuming therefore that this 25T has also been rewound by Mick, although i await arrival of the motor itself to confirm whether it was ballraced - i am assuming not due to the 10pound price limit but will have to check. I have seen adverts for case-end ballraced MG 540's from 1983 so it might also be the case. The other option is he took advantage of the BRCA ruling for standard class motors, which i am told stated 'unopened, unmodified motors with a price limit of 10pounds' and sourced some lower wind spec 540's from the supplier which ticked all the boxes but out-performed the higher wind versions and still came in at 10pounds or lower.

RRC March 83.jpg
Very interesting, thanks. I know we are talking 10 quids from 30 years ago, and I'd be curious to know whether Mick was able to make money on the equivalent of what is GBP30 today if he worked his magic (ballracing, rewinding etc...) back then!

Please let us know what the findings are. it's really cool you are looking into pre-US-rules-it-all motors :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Stripped down my GV Beagle recently and found the motor is a buggy special brown dot 27t according to the label, as the buggy is acquired I don't know if it's the original or an upgrade/mod.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Do you have a photo of it per chance?

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Screenshot_20201104-183922.jpg
Screenshot_20201104-183945.jpg
Is it like this one?