1987 Kyosho Ultima IFMAR champ buggy (special edition)

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

1987 Kyosho Ultima IFMAR champ buggy (special edition)

Post by TokyoProf »

A suggestion and question for Kyosho and Kyosho Ultima fans out there...

Suggestion: Kyosho, please come out with a Joel Johnson 1987 Kyosho Ultima replica (a special edition buggy).
All of us know that the 1987 Ultima with aluminum chassis, was not the real winner. But the original Ultima kit had a sticker saying world champion and was sold as a kind of replica of the world champion. It's not satisfying for me to have a 1987 kit but knowing deep inside this is different. You have a cool commercial that tries to convert an ultima to a Joel Johnson buggy. It's still not satisfying....the DNA is different. Anyone share my feeling on this suggestion? I think there was a lost opportunity since 1987 to come out with a proper World Champion Replica. Let's do it Kyosho!

Question: I want to get close (not perfect) to the 1987 Kyosho buggy won by Joel Johnson, what is the best way to get there? Would this be a vintage Ultima Pro with a Tomahawk body? The wheels and tires are a different matter, but for the main stuff...
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Frankentruck

Re: 1987 Kyosho Ultima IFMAR champ buggy (special edition)

Post by Frankentruck »

Finding a Trinity graphite pan chassis for an Ultima is probably the most difficult part to get. Factory Works has replica front and rear shock towers. Maybe they could do a chassis too.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

We did some in aluminum a while back but a graphite chassis with kickup is simply too cost prohibitive.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JGonzalez

Post by JGonzalez »

I ordered a carbon chassis from Fiberlyte in the UK. It really nice quality. Fit and finish is great.

Shipping took about 2 months due to Covid related delays.

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

And I do carbon chassis by order to this car.
Super stiff stuff.
Jerzi