New front arms.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eartnvirgo10

New front arms.

Post by Eartnvirgo10 »

Hi, I'm relatively new here so sorry if my vocab is bad. I recently inherited my uncles old rc10. I don't know anything about the model except that is has an aluminum chassis with an A stamp. I was tryying to get to working aging and fixing throttle issues when one of the front arm things shattered. Does anyone know where to get new ones(preferably not for 30+ dollars)

SoCalSnakeEyes

Re: New front arms.

Post by SoCalSnakeEyes »

Do some digging (search) around here for 3D printed arms. Otherwise, the high cost low parts availability is one of the joys of vintage rc ownership.
You may know me as Jessica. Or, that girl that raced a Stampede at SoCal Raceway. Maybe, that girl with the big big block El Camino.
IG and YT @ Jessica's 2 Car Garage https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMP9VnJ76BZv6EZJSRke_pw/

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I just paid $28 for a set of 3D printed arms. Unfortunately, it's just part of it.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Eartnvirgo10 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:57 pm Hi, I'm relatively new here so sorry if my vocab is bad. I recently inherited my uncles old rc10. I don't know anything about the model except that is has an aluminum chassis with an A stamp. I was tryying to get to working aging and fixing throttle issues when one of the front arm things shattered. Does anyone know where to get new ones(preferably not for 30+ dollars)
I had this happen myself. The explanation why this happened is that parts are made of nylon. When nylon dries out is becomes brittle and shatters.

I had this exact thing happen to me. The solution is it remove the plastic parts from the car and soak them for a day. That makes the nylon more pliable and bend instead of breaking. Your looking at a series of broken parts until the plastic hydrated.

3D printing and eBay are the best places for new parts.

If you had a slightly newer car I have an extra arm.
I am just getting into restoring my rc10 to running condition.
Let me know how things shake out for you.

Good luck.

Eartnvirgo10

Post by Eartnvirgo10 »

JosephS wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:29 pm
Eartnvirgo10 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:57 pm Hi, I'm relatively new here so sorry if my vocab is bad. I recently inherited my uncles old rc10. I don't know anything about the model except that is has an aluminum chassis with an A stamp. I was tryying to get to working aging and fixing throttle issues when one of the front arm things shattered. Does anyone know where to get new ones(preferably not for 30+ dollars)
I had this happen myself. The explanation why this happened is that parts are made of nylon. When nylon dries out is becomes brittle and shatters.

I had this exact thing happen to me. The solution is it remove the plastic parts from the car and soak them for a day. That makes the nylon more pliable and bend instead of breaking. Your looking at a series of broken parts until the plastic hydrated.

Good luck.
oh wow that is super smart!! im totally gonna do that thanks so much!

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Eartnvirgo10 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:55 pm

Good luck.
That is a bit of information I got from this board. Some people talked about boiling their parts to make them stronger.
I looking into it a bit and manufacturers of nylon have some guidelines on this. Properly hydrated nylon when manufactured will have between 1-3% water content. Less than than that and the nylon breaks. Boiling parts makes it absorb more water faster , but it's not recommended in manufacturing. Just dunking the parts in room temperature water for long enough makes them the right amount of pliable. I have read here that if parts are rattled in an empty can the dry parts sound different from the properly hydrated parts. I'm testing this out now on a few pieces of mine to see.

Eartnvirgo10

Post by Eartnvirgo10 »

JosephS wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:08 pm
Eartnvirgo10 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:55 pm

Good luck.
That is a bit of information I got from this board. Some people talked about boiling their parts to make them stronger.
I looking into it a bit and manufacturers of nylon have some guidelines on this. Properly hydrated nylon when manufactured will have between 1-3% water content. Less than than that and the nylon breaks. Boiling parts makes it absorb more water faster , but it's not recommended in manufacturing. Just dunking the parts in room temperature water for long enough makes them the right amount of pliable. I have read here that if parts are rattled in an empty can the dry parts sound different from the properly hydrated parts. I'm testing this out now on a few pieces of mine to see.
Ok sounds good!

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Did you ever get this sorted out? I found a single left arm for sale on ebay for under $10 if that helps you out.
-Joseph

Eartnvirgo10

Post by Eartnvirgo10 »

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

there is this set
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233987032204
that should be original to your car, if i remember correctly. If you go from the shorter to longer arms you will need longer steering and camber links to go with the arms.

Eartnvirgo10

Post by Eartnvirgo10 »

JosephS wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 am
there is this set
that should be original to your car, if i remember correctly. If you go from the shorter to longer arms you will need longer steering and camber links to go with the arms.
It looks like i already had the long ones

Eartnvirgo10

Post by Eartnvirgo10 »

there is this set
These are the ones it had on it: https://imgur.com/a/vS0qPWh

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Eartnvirgo10 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:48 pm
there is this set
Those aren't stock arms. Maybe those are Andy's A arms?'
Have you gotten up and running yet? If not I could mail you a pair of 3d printed ones to get you running. They aren't nearly as good as manufactured ones but you can run them till they break.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I just put a set of 3D printed Andy's front arms on a car (from Shapeways). By the time I got them fitted up and working smoothly, I'd just assumed paying full price for originals.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Eartnvirgo10

Post by Eartnvirgo10 »

JosephS wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:49 pm
Eartnvirgo10 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:48 pm
there is this set
Those aren't stock arms. Maybe those are Andy's A arms?'
Have you gotten up and running yet? If not I could mail you a pair of 3d printed ones to get you running. They aren't nearly as good as manufactured ones but you can run them till they break.
They don't need to be stock they just need to fit