HPI RS4 4wd help?

The place for all things HPI.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

HPI RS4 4wd help?

Post by rnoswal3434 »

This is one that I have been saving for last to get running. I seems pretty cool but old like the rest of my cars/trucks. At least early 90's I imagine. I have been trying to see just how the battery is held in and found a whole car like this on ebay for $150.00. Its basically all there. I even have a body for it still, although old and brittle. I was wondering from the photos I put here if anyone can pinpoing the age better and if any parts my be sitting in someones garage somewhere. I just need the battery holder and the plate that the ESC and receiver sit on. I can tie wrap it in and make a plate I imagine for those things, but thought I would ask here. It is 25.5 mm long and close to 18 mm wide. Belt drive of course. It would be my first motor in front of the transmission car too.

I have a radio, brushless ESC and motor coming which will also be a first for me, ( the brushless part I mean). Looks cool like I said but just a drive on a vacant lot kind of thing since there aren't any tracks around here any longer, sigh. Could have been cool on a carpet or outdoor asphalt track.

Notice no battery slots
Notice no battery slots
Attachments
The one on ebay
The one on ebay
image000014.jpg
image000012.jpg
image000055.jpg
image000053.jpg

GoMachV

Re: HPI RS4 4wd help?

Post by GoMachV »

I can’t be a lot of help but the first gen had a sealed gear trans in the back where this is dual belt, and the first gen was pivot ball front end so it’s a little later version.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

Well, that helps a little bit anyway. I appreciate it. I saw a posting from shodog here about a newer but old HPI RS4 but not much else. Thats what I get for hanging on to stuff that goes out of business.

Thanks

Russ

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Looks to me like a HPI RS4 Sport or (more likely) RS4 Rally - hard to tell exactly, but the Rally had longer shocks, and no 'wings' on the chassis.

Manual is easy enough to find (Oldrc.com has it at http://oldrc.com/HPIFiles/RS4Rally.pdf).

Batteries were stick or side by side pack, held in across the chassis with mounts at either end. Part no. A370 is what you need, anyone with these cars would probably have spares, if you can't find them on eBay.
A370.JPG
Great little cars, and worth getting running again for sure.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

The tires say Rally, but from the angle at least, the rear shocks say Sport.

Yes, I know that is helpful. :D
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:49 pm Looks to me like a HPI RS4 Sport or (more likely) RS4 Rally - hard to tell exactly, but the Rally had longer shocks, and no 'wings' on the chassis.

Manual is easy enough to find (Oldrc.com has it at http://oldrc.com/HPIFiles/RS4Rally.pdf).

Batteries were stick or side by side pack, held in across the chassis with mounts at either end. Part no. A370 is what you need, anyone with these cars would probably have spares, if you can't find them on eBay.
A370.JPG

Great little cars, and worth getting running again for sure.

Alex
Well that sure shows a great parts breakdown of the car. Interesting looking little rally car. I can see that it must have been modified some with the bumper and rear body mounts. I had no idea to look up that link you sent me.

I guess there is a parts needed place here to ask about that battery holder piece? What would that be under for this car? I think it was a carpet racer with the mini pin tires the last time it raced. I don't know as I got this only about 7 years ago from a friend emptying out his stuff. I still see belts for sale on ebay but most stuff for the HPI RS4 pro3. The body had HB Hot bodies on a small decal above the window, so again, aftermarket. I sure appreciate that Alex. Will try to find a body with those dimensions too. Makes the car look bigger.

Russ

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

From the pics above which car are you inquiring about?

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

shodog wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:40 am From the pics above which car are you inquiring about?
That is my problem in what car it can be, but either the rally or the sport HPI RS4 seem to have that battery holder that runs from side to side and not length wise. It is the car in the pics, unless they look like 2 different cars. The A370 pieces in the parts inventory that Alex gave me a link too. I have nothing except a bare pan, no parts at all of any battery holder. I took a picture of a car on ebay that had a carbon fiber frame and was comlete. That one is not mine, sorry.

And if I was to ask about if there is a part for this car or any car, is there a parts wanted or parts for sale in any kind of general section like this on this site? I have Traxxas questions too but I see a Traxxas section. This section broadly inlcudes everything else.

I hope that cleared up your question about which car I was asking about. One (ebay) shows what the battery holder looks like and the other (mine) does not have that holder.

Russ

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

shodog wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:40 am From the pics above which car are you inquiring about?

The only car that isn't mine is the carbon fiber frame with the battery holders on the car. All the rest are mine. Thats what I need but I guess I need to make enough posts so that I can get on the buy/sell page to ask. I hate just posting to post when I don't have any questions or help to offer anyone.

Again, its just a car and a few parts I got but not real info as to exactly what it is. I think while the car was popular the old owner did some midifications on his or her own that make it hard to exactly pin point what it was originally.

Russ

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

I did buy a brushless setup and radio receiver. A first for me and will put it in the HPI and see what happens. Will velcro and tie wrap the battery in for now, or when all that stuff comes in. I was amazed at how small the receiver is with this radio. I talked to a hobbyshop guy and told him the dimensions of the HPI and has several that will fit. Maybe when I get it back together I can enter the car of the month thing. Still hoping someone with HPI parts will stumble in here.

Russ

kracken

Post by kracken »

Great to see someone else bringing an old HPI back to life. I have an original HPI RS4 (1996) with the 3gear transmission instead of the rear belt-driven that you've got.

For original copies of the manual check out CompetitionX website. I downloaded the original RS4 and Sprint 2 manuals, free, without any issues. https://www.competitionx.com/hpi-racing-manuals/
I agree with others, looks like you've got a Sprint or maybe a HPI RS4 Pro?

-D

kracken

Post by kracken »

rnoswal3434 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:40 pm I did buy a brushless setup and radio receiver. A first for me and will put it in the HPI and see what happens. Will velcro and tie wrap the battery in for now, or when all that stuff comes in. I was amazed at how small the receiver is with this radio. I talked to a hobbyshop guy and told him the dimensions of the HPI and has several that will fit. Maybe when I get it back together I can enter the car of the month thing. Still hoping someone with HPI parts will stumble in here.

Russ
I've gone through a few iterations of electronics on my old RS4. My first upgrades were a 2.4Ghz radio system (Futaba 3PV) and a Surpass brushless ESC/Motor combo running on Nimh batteries. The brushless combo really woke up the car and was a blast to drive on smooth blacktop. The radio system brought some much needed reliability over the old AM systems.

I'm going through a deep clean and rebuild of two original RS4's. I think I'll be upgrading to lipo batteries - I like the "shorty" packs for their weight and size - and might end up with an extra set of battery tray ends. If I do I'll do my best to let you know. In the mean time keep an eye out on ebay, forums,craigslist, and don't be afraid to check out the obscure places. I've bought parts through Kijiji (Canada equivalent to craigslist I think) and from a hobby store in Bulgaria of all places! Imagine my wife's questions when she saw an international CC purchase at "hobbydick". That was fun to explain.

-D

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

kracken wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:23 pm Imagine my wife's questions when she saw an international CC purchase at "hobbydick". That was fun to explain.
Went through the same thing with my wife the first time I ordered through Banggood.

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

Hobbydick and banggood, had to laugh. Ok, I downloaded the plain old HPI RS4 but I don't know if it was stored on my computer or if I have to go to the competition.com site each time. It didn't ask me to save it anywhere. Definately the plain RS4 even though it does different body mounts. It matches the battery holder. If any of you have an extra slipper clutch setup let me know. Mine has just the aluminum piece that the clutch system bolts to. I have a gear attatched to it now so no slipper at all and I don't know how it will old up without a slipper. I won't be using a brushless motor so that may save it for a while. But those are some cool manuals because of it showing that actual car and chassis build. Once I get a battery holder figured out, which I have had one sent to me by frankentruck that he 3d printed out. Not original but it should work with a little modification.

I need to get a body and start painting it. Several to choose from.

Thanks guys for all the help and talk about the HPI cars. I think its a cool car and will look great under power.

Thanks

Russ

rnoswal3434
Approved Member

Post by rnoswal3434 »

Now that I look at more manuals, I see this has the same diff as the HPI RS4 rally, which doesn't seem to have a slipper clutch anywhere, just screwed to the spur gear hub. So, anyone here have a rally? Is there any place to adjust slippage? Or was that more of an aftermarket part? I haven't taken it apart so I don't know how the insides look as far as are there any metal gears in it. Thing is the chassis tub is nothing like mine. weird.

Russ