T4 from Local Hobby Shop

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

erichevy
Approved Member

T4 from Local Hobby Shop

Post by erichevy »

So I stopped into a local hobby shop yesterday looking for a B4/T4 top shaft to modify my T3 Stealth and I struck out. The owner caught up to me in the parking lot as I was pulling away and said he had this T4 in the back room he would sell me. I thought about it for a day and went back to grab it. I think it might be a T4 Factory Team truck? Never had anything newer than a B3/T3 so not really sure. Might just fix it up and make a nice runner out of it.
IMG_8402.JPG

JosephS

Re: T4 from Local Hobby Shop

Post by JosephS »

erichevy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:17 pm So I stopped into a local hobby shop yesterday looking for a B4/T4 top shaft to modify my T3 Stealth and I struck out. The owner caught up to me in the parking lot as I was pulling away and said he had this T4 in the back room he would sell me. I thought about it for a day and went back to grab it. I think it might be a T4 Factory Team truck? Never had anything newer than a B3/T3 so not really sure. Might just fix it up and make a nice runner out of it.

IMG_8402.JPG
I've been looking to snag one like that for a bit. That is a nice find with the threaded shocks. It looks to be in pretty nice condition.

If you are still looking for a T4 top shaft AVID RC sells one an aluminum for $25+ shipping
https://www.avidrc.com/product/5/accessories/3506/Associated-Aluminum-Topshaft-B4-Stealth-AV10062-accessories.html

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Those are big bore shocks.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

RC10th wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:37 pm Those are big bore shocks.
You have sharper eyes than me.

erichevy
Approved Member

Post by erichevy »

Pulled the electronics out this morning and discovered a VTS slipper set up. Looks like somebody did some upgrades to this along the way. Anybody know the correct rebuild kit needed for these particular shocks?
IMG_8403.jpg

erichevy
Approved Member

Post by erichevy »

I'll use this thread to post the clean up/rebuild process in case anybody wants to follow along. I enjoy a good build thread myself :)

I had some new T4 wheels laying around for a few years, finally gonna put them to use. The Pro Line tires are used, but in good condition.
IMG_8404.jpg
IMG_8406.jpg
IMG_8407.jpg

erichevy
Approved Member

Post by erichevy »

I soaked the chassis and battery hold down in Simple Green for a bit and scrubbed it down. Came out okay. I degreased the shocks with some Dawn dish soap too. Looks like these shocks use the same red O-rings as the standard shocks so I'll just replace those since I have a few rebuild kits laying around for standard shocks.
IMG_8417.jpg
IMG_8418.jpg
IMG_8419.jpg
IMG_8420.JPG
IMG_8421.jpg

erichevy
Approved Member

Post by erichevy »

Stopped at another shop close to me today and picked through their stash of old/discontinued Team Associated parts. I only grabbed stuff that looked like it was T3 and T4 compatible. I was surprised at how much old stuff they still have in the shop.
IMG_8445.jpg

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

erichevy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:17 pm Stopped at another shop close to me today and picked through their stash of old/discontinued Team Associated parts. I only grabbed stuff that looked like it was T3 and T4 compatible. I was surprised at how much old stuff they still have in the shop.

IMG_8445.jpg
Those are parts for 20 year old products that have been long discontinued. There are a few harder to find pieces in there. That's a good find.

erichevy
Approved Member

Post by erichevy »

Picked through my stash of parts and think I have a fair amount of parts to do a nice rebuild....
IMG_8467.jpg

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Good deal scoring parts from the local hobby shop. There's a hole-in-the-wall hobby shop near me that has a large wall full of 15-20 yr old AE parts (not to mention walls full of Losi and Traxxas parts), I cleared off about 1/3 of the AE wall for myself and a fellow member :lol:. I recently built a T4 factory team truck from all brand new AE parts bags I gathered over a year or so. Just added a load of upgrades to my T4.3 and building an on-road T4 from a spare parts truck I acquired.

Looks like yours cleaned up nicely. Looking forward to checking out the progress.
-Jerry-

erichevy
Approved Member

Post by erichevy »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:19 pm Good deal scoring parts from the local hobby shop. There's a hole-in-the-wall hobby shop near me that has a large wall full of 15-20 yr old AE parts (not to mention walls full of Losi and Traxxas parts), I cleared off about 1/3 of the AE wall for myself and a fellow member :lol:. I recently built a T4 factory team truck from all brand new AE parts bags I gathered over a year or so. Just added a load of upgrades to my T4.3 and building an on-road T4 from a spare parts truck I acquired.

Looks like yours cleaned up nicely. Looking forward to checking out the progress.
My local shop has a ton of old Losi parts too. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of anything Losi so I wouldn't even know what is what, lol. There was a lot of Associated stuff for cars I am not familiar with either. I just grabbed anything that looked like it would fit RC10, 10T, B2/3, T3, B4 and T4. I probably missed some of that too. The shop has hundreds of parts hanging in the discontinued section.

erichevy
Approved Member

Post by erichevy »

Started building the suspension up using mostly new parts. I am missing a few things so I'll have to wait on some assembly, but it's coming along nicely.
IMG_8489.JPG

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Let me know what parts you're missing, I might be able to help ya out.
-Jerry-

erichevy
Approved Member

Post by erichevy »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:05 pm Let me know what parts you're missing, I might be able to help ya out.
Thanks! I just needed a couple small things like bearing for the steering, etc. I grabbed what I needed off eBay.