Jurassic Park project

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Steve71
Approved Member

Jurassic Park project

Post by Steve71 »

Started a new project last week after getting home from my trip. Decided to build a Jurassic Park scene from the original movie to display in the theater room. Going to be a big piece, base is about 4' long. 3D printing most of the stuff. Going to be the scene where the T.Rex breaks through the fence and steps on the SUV then has Dr Grant with a flare in front of the other SUV. Just finished up airbrushing the T rex this morning. Doing a "mud" base for it with a concoction of materials to form mud. First layer is down but finial layer will be tinted much darker and have standing water and T rex footprints and such in it. Also started printing the two SUV's. Will have one of them sunk in the mud and all bent up. Then the electric fence where the T rex broke through it and foliage and such as well as the bamboo outhouse where Genero got eaten by the T rex. Going to take a few weeks to finish this with the rod work and other things I have going but should be pretty cool once finished.

Frankentruck

Re: Jurassic Park project

Post by Frankentruck »

Wow. Only thing that would be better is if T-Rex was eating the lawyer on the toilet 😁

Completely awesome!
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

The Jurassic Park project for the theater room has slowed down some now that I have been back to working on filling rod orders (damn work 😆) but it has been coming along nicely when I get a bit of time here & there. The base is covered with the "mud" (mix of pva glue/paint pigment/drywall filler/sand) and just started testing clear tinted acrylic to make puddles with. The 3D printed wall is done and weathered/textured. Also got the electric fence posts printed and heated/bent as well as some 3mm wire for the fence itself. Printed the electric rain for the trucks to ride on.

Finished the outhouse where the lawyer Genero got eaten by the T rex. Made that out of wood dowels and then dremeled slots into them to make it look like bamboo then varnished it. The thatched roof was not fun. Did that out of individual strands of twine and combed out the ends. Prob around 8 hrs just in the roof alone.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Steve71 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:11 pm working on filling rod orders (damn work 😆).
A couple of my friends used to build custom rods. Not fly rods, but bass, trout, and offshore. But with the current selection available, there isn't much demand for custom work. Anymore, about all they do is repairs for friends.

Not an expert by any means, but I dabble in repairing and modifying baitcast reels. Shimano is my preferred brand, but I've also worked Abu, Diawa, Lews, Penn, and Kastkings.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Bouncing between rod work and the Jurassic Park diorama today. Was able to get all the trees/jungle background done. I used a method model railroaders use. Clipped some dead branches off one of my juniper bushes out back, stripped the needles, put some poly fiber in spots on it and spray adhesive. Then used two shades of flocking dusted over it, then hit it with clear. Very realistic looking trees/bushes.
Also made some vines using the same method. I think I have the mud puddle mix down right now. Got just the right tint for the clear acrylic to make it look like standing water in the mud. Lots more to do but it's starting to look really cool. I always thought if I had chose a different path in life, it would be working for a special effects type company, I think that would be a job I would really like because I have always enjoyed creating stuff like this.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Awesome, don't forget the red light
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Thanks. Yep...I'm thinking I may do headlights an d tail lights in both SUV's, as well as the electric fence lights perhaps. Have to see how far detailed I want to go :)

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Still have a lot/prob another 3-4 weeks of printing/work to do on the Jurassic Park diorama for the theater room. But just finished the first of the two SUV's..."damaged" it... and mounted it & the Rex. Looking pretty cool so far. Took about 10 days to print each SUV, there are around 28'ish parts in each to make the full SUV.

I know...OCD sucks lol

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Great work, as always, Steve! 8)
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

I had a few hours to get back to it last night. Bought a couple blue&green chip sized LED's from Evan Designs last week and wired up the lights that are on the electric fence in the movie.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Fantastic job so far , with the smashed SUV did you print it straight then heat and bend it ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Yup. Printed it and then before paint work too some heat to it and bent it to look all damaged.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

We just watched the latest Jurassic Park. I liked it. Not my favorite, but good. Sound is very well done at certain parts. Nice work!
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:10 pm We just watched the latest Jurassic Park. I liked it. Not my favorite, but good. Sound is very well done at certain parts. Nice work!
Yeah same here. I went and saw it about 2 weeks ago. I'd say out of all 6 of the films this latest one was probably my least favorite of them all. But, it's a Jurassic Park film and I love the series, so did still enjoy it. Although I prob won't be re-watching it a million times like I do the original one that's for sure :mrgreen:

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Finally finished the 2nd SUV tonight. It's 100% 3D printed, 28 pieces in all which took about 60hrs of printing. All airbrushed up and then added headlights & taillights as well as an interior dome light and front mounted off road lights.

Short video of the lights all wired up in it.