Early RC 10 Wheel upgrading

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Helmar

Early RC 10 Wheel upgrading

Post by Helmar »

Sorry, but I am having trouble searching and trying to find what is needed to upgrade my Early (80’s) RC-10 buggy.

Many upgrades back in the times, sway bars motor etc but never did anything with the wheels and tires.

I would like to know ways to upgrade them to some street type tires as I have taken this RC-10 ( I have the RC-10T as well) and have a 33 Ford Sedan body on it.
So, I have ordered some wheels and tires as the front ones were shot, breaking apart, just to run it around and test the conversion from the old mechanical speed control over to the newer electronics.

I bought both of my RC 10’s new, boxes are gone, spair parts lost in a house/shop fire (New Electric bike batteries blew apart and burned the shop and house down)
Some stuff, cars were saved.

I am hoping to find some fat tires for the rear and even some stock or narrower tires for the front and well, would like to also find some aluminum slotted rims to put on it.

I see some axle upgrades for the front and another fellow making conversions but still don’t know what I should be looking for. I don’t know how to measure the wheels, for sure, to look for others

Sorry but I still like my RC stuff but I got old and slowed down some.

Any help is More than welcomed.

Helmar

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Re: Early RC 10 Wheel upgrading

Post by Dangeruss »

Wow, terrible about the fire, and all from bike batteries... just terrible.

With all the drag car stuff for sale finding tires and wheels (aluminum ones even) to fit your hot rod is easy enough to be fun. You'll need a set of 1/4 to 12mm hex adapters for the rear and 5/16 bearing to hex adapters for the front to run the newfangled wheels on the oldfangled car. There's companies that make "RC10 to 12mm hex wheel adapter kits" that include everything you need in one package to really make it easy.

All the big places, Amain, Horizon, etc. carry 1.9 and 2.2 drag wheels and tires. As well as companies like Proline and others if you want to buy their products direct. Trite as it sounds, don't forget to search Amazon and Ebay... there's a lot of wheels and other parts that'd look cool on your hot rod hidden amongst their listings.

And if you want to buy local, or from a small shop instead of the big guys, there's a directory of every single RC hobby shop in the US right here! :mrgreen:

www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&p=553485

Or, if nothing else... grab a snack, google image search "RC drag wheels" and enjoy looking at all the pretty pictures! :lol:

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Welcome. If you're looking for aluminum wheels and still have the 1/4" tapered rear axles, these wheels on eBay from Korea are pretty nice.
Screenshot_20230919-143033.png
I have them on this buggy.
PXL_20230919_193321464.jpg
They could work with Schumacher street tires like I have on my RC10B4 here.
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=554615&hilit=schumacher#p554615
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Helmar

Post by Helmar »

Dangeruss wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:38 pm Wow, terrible about the fire, and all from bike batteries... just terrible.

With all the drag car stuff for sale finding tires and wheels (aluminum ones even) to fit your hot rod is easy enough to be fun. You'll need a set of 1/4 to 12mm hex adapters for the rear and 5/16 bearing to hex adapters for the front to run the newfangled wheels on the oldfangled car. There's companies that make "RC10 to 12mm hex wheel adapter kits" that include everything you need in one package to really make it easy.

All the big places, Amain, Horizon, etc. carry 1.9 and 2.2 drag wheels and tires. As well as companies like Proline and others if you want to buy their products direct. Trite as it sounds, don't forget to search Amazon and Ebay... there's a lot of wheels and other parts that'd look cool on your hot rod hidden amongst their listings.

And if you want to buy local, or from a small shop instead of the big guys, there's a directory of every single RC hobby shop in the US right here! :mrgreen:

www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&p=553485

Or, if nothing else... grab a snack, google image search "RC drag wheels" and enjoy looking at all the pretty pictures! :lol:

Thank you for a quick reply. I need to work on having the system email me when I get an answer as I just happened to check back in.

I will start looking for the adapters and start going for some of the newer wheels and tires as some that i bought were well, like a weather checked automobile tire, one hard slide or turn and they will just crack and break. They are all pretty old and hard.
I do use google and depending what I am looking for, duck duck go to search for things so will get after that.
I always liked alloy rims over steel wheels on my cars and trucks.

Thanks again !!
Helmar

Helmar

Post by Helmar »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:40 pm Welcome. If you're looking for aluminum wheels and still have the 1/4" tapered rear axles, these wheels on eBay from Korea are pretty nice.
Screenshot_20230919-143033.png
I have them on this buggy.
PXL_20230919_193321464.jpg
They could work with Schumacher street tires like I have on my RC10B4 here.
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=554615&hilit=schumacher#p554615
Thanks for the link and the Schumacher name for tires. :-)

Those look good on your buggy too :-)