RC10 project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scollins
Approved Member

RC10 project

Post by scollins »

Hi fellas, I recently purchased a lot of good deals on RC10s thru Ebay. I had really good luck finding mint stuff at reasonable prices. In the aftermath of all the extra parts I ended up with plus some extra used chassis I had from my previous experience with Dual Sports I decided to build a Sand Scorcher hybrid- thingie. I am known on TamiyaClub for building one-off cars ocassionally. This will be a Sand Scorcher that actually handles good and is light, unlike the Tamiya version! A leftover RC10 chassis that was all scratched up from years ago is the foundation. I am a Tamiya fan as much as I am an AE fan so that explains why I am even goofing with this. Of course, the wheelbase is much too long so I am going to chop it and slide the nose back into the chassis. Still deciding on the steering setup but I may not have room to do an RC10 style layout. May go with a direct servo mounting right to the tie-rods but I have to check for bump-steer, akerman angle, etc...... If you are wondering I cleaned the tub with wax and grease remover then sanded the chassis tub down with a small orbital sander to scuff it up. After sanding and priming all the big scratches were down to a minimum, BTW this is nice and easy to do for old chassis tubs you have laying around. I will now dry-fit all the front suspension parts and steering stuff to work out the packaging and then paint it later with Epoxy spray paint for durability (low-buck project I am too cheap to get this thing powder coated).. Cheers guys- Anybody else have any "different" RC10 projects we can look at? BTW- the last 3 pics are of a really nice RC10 I scored last week for an unbelievable BIN price. This thing is loaded with mint hop-ups. And yes the vintage Novak reciever and ESC work perfectly , scollins
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (68.52 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (68.52 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (135.48 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (135.48 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
When in doubt, throttle out ...... scollins

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

that scorcher should turn out pretty slick. you could always mount the battery sideways in the chassis to gain servo clearance or maybe run a twin 3 pack style config.

scollins
Approved Member

Thanks Hoop

Post by scollins »

hey, good idea, I would not be opposed to that, although I always did like the look of the battery running lengthwise in the tub. But if I want the true RC10 look I guess I should consider what you said. Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it. 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

:o dude, that's gonna be sweet.

maybe you could try and retro fit the b2/b3 steering bellcrank setup on that. it might help with the room you have to work with in the chassis. just a thought......................

scollins
Approved Member

thanks for the idea

Post by scollins »

Hey there, thanks for the idea.....that sounds pretty solid. I think Tower Hobbies would have that assembly as I was going to place an order there anyway. BTW- you guys are the only ones who replied with a thumbs up. I may have ticked off some RC10 purists out there by announcing that I am going to cut up a perfectly good chassis tub- Or that I am breaking a cardinal rule on this site and mixing Tamiya and AE. Oh well, tough luck I guess. I do this kind of stuff all the time, especially when you start out with a heap of junk. I love mixing elements of my favorite brands together. Trust me it was so scratched up most guys would have just tossed it in the trash. When it is painted and clearcoated it will look like a million bucks. Thanks again for the kudos, being a new member and all. I will post pics of progress in the coming months (weeks)??? Way too many projects as usual. scollins

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

Dont worry about the RC10 purists out there. You hit the nail on the head with the fact that most would toss out a scratched chassis and be ok with it but when you cut one up they freak. I say it looks like a sweet project and roll with it. Hey alot of the associated team guys cut their chassis back in the day anyways.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Hop-up racer

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi Scollins,

I am liking the idea more and more of your Sand Scorcher/RC10 hybrid good work. I look forward o the updates.

Also the racer is amazing the hop-ups especially, look great. Can I ask though who makes the rear tires and what size are they? I'd love to get a pair as they look like Pro-line Champions but in a slightly larger than normal size.

Cheers

Ed

scollins
Approved Member

Thanks

Post by scollins »

They are Pro-Line tires but unfortunately I dont have the original package anymore so I dont know exactly the part number or the size........

Thanks for the compliments, Yes the Scorcher will be cool. I will post progress photos soon to keep you informed. I think it will look really sweet when it is done. I also plan to have a cage hanging off the back of the chassis just like a tamiya S.Scorcher except this will mount to the AE motor plate. scollins

scollins
Approved Member

updates to the Scorcher RC10

Post by scollins »

Hi all, this project is coming along smoothly. After much goofing around with the steering I decided on mounting it upside down as the beetle body will cover it fine and it allowed me to use the RPM steering rack, which is what I wanted. The direct mount-steering tie rod idea reminded me of a Grasshopper - it just didn't look right in the RC10 tub frame. I will be getting shorter original style A-arms for the front for a more realistic track width. Pretty soon I can prep and paint the chassis and the nose tubes. Lemme know whatcha think, the wheelbase is now identical to a sand scorcher, Stay tuned!!!!! 8) scollins
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (153.39 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (153.39 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (157.27 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (157.27 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (174.87 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (174.87 KiB) Viewed 4055 times

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

very nicely done!

scollins
Approved Member

Hoop, there it is!

Post by scollins »

Thanks Hoopty Doode! :)

This will be really neat when it is finished, I may even construct an "internal" cage for it out of aluminum rod and extend it out the back rather than just a fake cage hangin' out the rear end. scollins

scollins
Approved Member

UPDATES!!!!!!

Post by scollins »

Hi fellas,
As a reminder, this thing started out as a 45dollar Ebay trash pile.....

Been working on the RC10 sand scorcher, and its gonna be sweet!! 8) .......Stay tuned, scollins
Attachments
rc10start.jpg
rc10start.jpg (156.49 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
rc10start.jpg
rc10start.jpg (156.49 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
rc10 middle.jpg
rc10 middle.jpg (170.93 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
rc10 middle.jpg
rc10 middle.jpg (170.93 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
rc10 middle2.jpg
rc10 middle2.jpg (220.33 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
rc10 middle2.jpg
rc10 middle2.jpg (220.33 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
rc10 middle3.jpg
rc10 middle3.jpg (203.84 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
rc10 middle3.jpg
rc10 middle3.jpg (203.84 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
rc10 done.jpg
rc10 done.jpg (175.83 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
rc10 done.jpg
rc10 done.jpg (175.83 KiB) Viewed 3952 times

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

dude, that's lookin' killer. keep it up. :wink:

hey, if you need a pr of short front arms, let me know. i have some nip that were taken out to be dyed black, and put back in the package.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Wow, that going to turn out sweet.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: thanks for the idea

Post by Mr. ED »

scollins wrote:... I may have ticked off some RC10 purists out there by announcing that I am going to cut up a perfectly good chassis tub- Or that I am breaking a cardinal rule on this site and mixing Tamiya and AE. Oh well, tough luck I guess. I do this kind of stuff all the time, especially when you start out with a heap of junk. I love mixing elements of my favorite brands together. ...
Finally, a soulmate :wink:
Well, actually except for not being a real tamiya or asso fan :shock:
If you ever want to drive it without risking the body...Parma has a beetle shell hidden deep down in its website, pretty nicely detailed for lexan and there's an included spoiler too.