Team Associated SC10 4X4

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Diggley
Approved Member

Re: Team Associated SC10 4X4

Post by Diggley »

longboardnj wrote:
tsan wrote:
Diggley wrote:like someone tried to turn a freakin' BMW into a dune buggy...
That sounds kinda awesome.
i know if you drive a bmw you must drive like a complete Ahole .. so if you turn a bmw into a dune buggy do you have to drive the dune buggy like an Ahole too??? :lol: :lol: cool truck but way too much stuff for me.. if they make this truck as a mid 2wd id like one

:lol:
BMW + Dune Buggy...wouldn't that be a "Douche Buggy"?
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

BMW + Dune Buggy...wouldn't that be a "Douche Buggy"?
:lol: :lol: :lol: ahhhh good stuff :mrgreen:

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Speaking of weird dune buggies... I came across this by accident.
Attachments
68camaro4x4.jpg

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I came across that a number of years ago by accident as well. Maybe thats what I should do to my yellow 68 Camaro. :lol:

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

I don't understand the belt hate. This truck will never put down the horsepower a sedan on foam tires can, and there is no top level shaft drive sedan today.

I think the jury should stay out until it hits the track. I can never understand why there is a rush to judgement unless there are obvious faults.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

AscotConversion wrote:I don't understand the belt hate. This truck will never put down the horsepower a sedan on foam tires can, and there is no top level shaft drive sedan today.

I think the jury should stay out until it hits the track. I can never understand why there is a rush to judgement unless there are obvious faults.
I don't understand belt hate either. It was proven technology back in the late 80's with the Optima Mids (and original Optima conversions), the biggest advantage was probably decreased maintenance, as the cars didn't need a chassis tighten every half-dozen runs that the chain-drives needed. They ran quieter and smoother, and I would imagine a properly-tensioned belt would be just as fault-tolerant as a chain or shaft.

A shaft seems like a good idea but when you compare the weight of the components required for a shaft-drive--the shaft itself, 2 outdrives of some sort probably easily outweigh a belt running through already-present diffs.

For me, this new AE car's biggest issue isn't the belt....it's that it just screams "over-engineered". If the plethora of adjustment-points translate into better track performance, AE'll be laughin'. If all those adjustments just make it more confusing to dial in the car, or contribute more to complexity than performance, it'll be like the original Tamiya Avante. Only time will tell.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Coelacanth wrote:
AscotConversion wrote:I don't understand the belt hate. This truck will never put down the horsepower a sedan on foam tires can, and there is no top level shaft drive sedan today.

I don't understand belt hate either. It was proven technology back in the late 80's with the Optima Mids (and original Optima conversions), the biggest advantage was probably decreased maintenance, as the cars didn't need a chassis tighten every half-dozen runs that the chain-drives needed. They ran quieter and smoother, and I would imagine a properly-tensioned belt would be just as fault-tolerant as a chain or shaft.

A shaft seems like a good idea but when you compare the weight of the components required for a shaft-drive--the shaft itself, 2 outdrives of some sort probably easily outweigh a belt running through already-present diffs.

For me, this new AE car's biggest issue isn't the belt....it's that it just screams "over-engineered". If the plethora of adjustment-points translate into better track performance, AE'll be laughin'. If all those adjustments just make it more confusing to dial in the car, or contribute more to complexity than performance, it'll be like the original Tamiya Avante. Only time will tell.
I certainly can't speak for everyone that posted a comment of surprise about the belt, but I don't think that "beltism" spurred those comments. :lol:

I was just surprised that they would go that direction. It's not just that a belt may not handle the horsepower, but the general wear and tear that SC trucks tend to take. I mean big jumps and belts don't mix all that well. Even a well made belt drive vehicle has trouble accepting the rigors of large jumps during a 6 minute main no matter how well it's designed or maintained. Especially with today's power. :twisted: I hope they do great and I'm glad to see they didn't just copy another manufacturer, it was just a pleasant surprise is all. :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

I'm kinda with some of the other people witht he sc thing. I'ts just another fad like crawlers etc.. You like it or you dont I guess. Most new rc cars dont really float my boat from ae as I enjoyed their old metal tubs :)
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

tsan wrote:Speaking of weird dune buggies... I came across this by accident.

Hmmm,

Oddly enough, I kinda like this... :D
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Belts SUCK no mater how good they are. you have to takr the whole car apart to change them. and they slip under brushless power. they proved the B44 shaft drive is the way to go. has anyone ever complained about brakeing a shaft? everyone I know who has a B44 loves it.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I just checked the price and was surprised it was only $269.00. Do you guys think this will be the next big class? I have not bought modern racer yet, and was thinking this might be an interesting class, if it takes off.

I already found out 2wd buggy at my local track is not very popular :-(..

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

soniccj5 wrote:I just checked the price and was surprised it was only $269.00. Do you guys think this will be the next big class? I have not bought modern racer yet, and was thinking this might be an interesting class, if it takes off.

I already found out 2wd buggy at my local track is not very popular :-(..
I would definitely wait. The Traxxas 4wd didn't take well here or anywhere else at all like the 2wd. If you're wanting to buy a vehicle to race I would hold off on this and see what happens. The funnest choice would be to check out the local racing scene and join whatever the big class is. I never would have picked a Slash up, but since there are so many guys racing the class it seemed logical. The more racers the better the competition and fun factor. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken