Tamiya Hotshot wheel axel, adapter etc. to Optima?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jirka
Approved Member

Tamiya Hotshot wheel axel, adapter etc. to Optima?

Post by Jirka »

Hi guys.

I have a question that I hope someone could test and try and answer. The question comes from my Euros 1986 Euros winning Optima project see: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23420 and it is about those front wheel mounting: with what parts is that made? There seems to be Tamiya Hotshot wheel adapter (that red triangular that can be best seen on tsan's post) and Hotshot front wheels installed to Jose's car. My question is this: Would Hotshot wheel axle, 2x10mm shaft (that goes through wheel axle), Hotshot red triangular wheel adapter and finally Hotshot wheel all together fit to Optima? Would also the Optima's drive shaft fit to Hotshot wheel axle? If not, where the problem is and could that be solved? I hope that there is somebody with all the needed parts who would like to try this if nobody could not answer directly to my question.

Jirka

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya Hotshot wheel axel, adapter etc. to Optima?

Post by Mr. ED »

IMG_6570.JPG
errr, didn't I reply in that post? I have a set of red alu adapters to fit hotshot wheels on the tapered optima axles. I think they were hot trick items but could be RW racing too.

The hotshot axles will fit the kyosho bearings but the offset would make it very narrow and this might cause rubbing while steering. The adapters will give the wheel the right offset. Plus the spherical part of the hotshot dogbone is larger , and so is the cavity of the axle. So the optima dogbone would be rather loose inthere. Oh, and since the outer diameter of the cup is larger also, it might not fit the steering knuckle either.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

The biggest problem you'll encounter with mixing optima and hotshot pieces is the diameter of the ball on the dog bone. The hotshot's is much larger. This is also assuming that you'll be using dog bones vs. universals. The following set up will work, but there will be a little of play in between the dog bone and axle:

hotshot axle > optima dog bone > optima drive cup (connected to the diff)

Another (and easier) solution would be to use the strandard optima hex assembly and just use the CRP adapetrs (hex to hotshot).

hope this helps....

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Ask Jose :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Thank You all for the dogbone info, that was one of my biggest "fear" too. I did have both Hotshot and Turbo Optima as a kid and I did have this same feeling about Hotshot dogbone ball size would be too big to Optima drive shaft.

Mr ED, Yes You did recommend those red anodized aluminum wheel adapters, but they have only two brackets, I need something with three, see:
adapters.jpg
adapters.jpg (5.58 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
adapters.jpg
adapters.jpg (5.58 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
CRP Does have plastic wheel adapters that have three brackets, but they are black. Did Jose for some reason paint those black CRP adapters bright red? No, I don't think so. So there must be something that is not known yet and that something might be those adapters that V12 somehow remembers.

Jirka

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Lonestar wrote:Ask Jose :mrgreen:
I have already asked, but still no reply from him :cry: That is why I have to ask this from you all.

Jirka

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Well I don´t just remember that adapters........ digging through my old offroad stuff I found one pair of them today.
This is what everybody was using for mounting Hotshot wheels on an Optima. I´m not really sure but I think they were made by Tamiya. No CRP or Hot Trick for sure. RW didn´t make these adapters as they made just specials gears and layshaft that time. Also their name was Nodis what changed to RW much later.

Here are the adapters (not for sale)
Attachments
Tamiya wheel adapter.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Other than re-creating a replica car, I can't see the point of wanting to mount Hotshot wheels on an Optima, at least nowadays. Even back in the day, I would think the low-profile Turbo Optima wheels were superior to the Hotshot wheels.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

CRP did make some, but there where round and I believe white (maybe yellow) in color. I have some, just don't know where they are at the moment to take a pic.

Coel, I would do just to be different.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

The Hotshot wheels were lighter than the Kyosho also they were earlier available than the Kyosho low profile.
And maybe the most important point, a lot of people were running narrow front tires what was possible with the Hotshot wheels only. There were no narrow Kyosho wheels.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

V12 wrote:The Hotshot wheels were lighter than the Kyosho also they were earlier available than the Kyosho low profile.
And maybe the most important point, a lot of people were running narrow front tires what was possible with the Hotshot wheels only. There were no narrow Kyosho wheels.
Ah ok, thanks for the info. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

If you can't find those adapters you could use the later kyosho axles with crosspin and put the hotshot triangles on those. I saw those axles today but didn't think of you but until I came home, so no part nr. sorry.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

AE35 will do, alternatives from HPI and other brands possible

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Thanks V12! Now I know what to search for. I did have a few tricks to try left, like pressing very hot Optima aluminium hexagon adapter against Hotshot wheel adapter to reshape it and use both adapter together, but now I don't have to guess more.

Mr. ED: I did already order a pair of CRP adapters to use them as plan B.

Mr Lexan: Yes CRP does even still have (see their www-site) adapters in various colour, but those that I need and have already ordered were black.

But now, case is closed, thank You all: Jirka