noticing lots of TLR22'S for sale

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

noticing lots of TLR22'S for sale

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Anybody know what gives, seeing very clean rollers for $150 range lately- kinda surprised!

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: noticing lots of TLR22'S for sale

Post by mikedealer »

ive noticed it too, maybe people are going to the durango dex210 and trading in? $150 is a good deal since they are only around $269 new...

i hardly ever notice any kyosho RB5's or rc10 b4's going up for sale (when i say b4 i mean like a race version not a rtr cheapo kit lol, plenty of those). There are some that pop up now and then but ive been seeing people like u said sell their losi's

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I think the ones you see for sale are from the guys at the track that thought they would go faster with the car. And maybe they did. But since everyone "upgraded" at the same they just ended up in the same spot they were in before. They don't learn, and willl drop the car in order to pick up whatever the new hotness is. I have been seeing this for 25 years. Especially between AE and Losi. Too many racers won't realise that that car doesn't drive itself :lol: . -Jeff

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Jay Dub wrote:I think the ones you see for sale are from the guys at the track that thought they would go faster with the car. And maybe they did. But since everyone "upgraded" at the same they just ended up in the same spot they were in before. They don't learn, and willl drop the car in order to pick up whatever the new hotness is. I have been seeing this for 25 years. Especially between AE and Losi. Too many racers won't realise that that car doesn't drive itself :lol: . -Jeff
I think you hit the nail on the head!! At our local track we have a team manager for kyosho who's in-laws own the lhs/track. Obviously kyosho is heavily supported. When the 22 came out a lot switched to that and sold their RB5's cheap. The guys who know how to tune a car really well did seem faster, but the guys who can't tune as well found they were slower. So they switched back to kyosho and saw their times come back up. Between Joe the kyosho manager and the few other sponsored guys, their is more setup help for the RB5 as compared to the 22

susko
Approved Member

Post by susko »

nice MIB reference

Tomas Karlsson
Approved Member

Post by Tomas Karlsson »

Exactly the same things happen all the time here in Sweden. I have to say that buggyracing is the most hyped and trendy class you can drive (all with jumps and dirt are always trendy) and when someone seen a new car on youtube that looks pretty fast everyone needs one.

Shumacher cougar looked really good in the video from that English track named robin hood raceway. Everybody wanted one even if they didnt know the driver off that car.

Tamiya TRF201, well if Tamiya releases a TRF finally it´s a must have. No one wants them any longer in sweden, also a hell to sell.

And so on.

But in 4wd there is another story, people bought the 511x this year for the outdoor season to race with and that car had already been on the market for two years then. "The best you can drive atm said some people to me" okey so why didnt you do that two years ago? No because LEE Martin became an European champion with this car now.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I know what you mean Tomas about off-road racing being the 'trendy' formula, i'm often being ridiculled by my off road racing buddies for doing Touring Car racing.... they call it 'boring cars' :roll: Its the 2wd class that at the moment seems to have the most hype with people literally swapping cars on a weekly basis as the new & latest car gets released (Vega, Centro, DEX210, Ansmann X2C, TLR22 etc etc) All supposed to drive 'just like a 4wd!'

Of cause the reality is that the general rules to which a 1-10th off road buggy is designed haven't changed since they were first written... as such the optimum design/layout was pretty much realised during the 90s... any development since has only really been 'fine tuning' - i'm sure if one of the top drivers decided to pick up a Losi XX or a B3 & run it... they would do just as well... they'd just struggle to find spares if it broke!

As for the 22.... I must admit that although I have seen many going well (mostly in team driver's hands) the majority of them look very tricky to drive - despite their long wheelbase they seem to have loads of front end steering which is curious :| I'm still running an old Losi XXX with the CR2 mid-motor conversion & I can only think of one TLR22 that has regulalry beaten me during this last season... his is shortened with an Atomic Carbon 'Tardis' conversion & he is a very good driver! I must explain that most of the 22s i've seen are running in the mid-motor configuration - maybe they are a tamer beast in rear motor format?

I must admit that after so long in replacing the old XXX the 22 is a bit of a dissapointment :(

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

DerbyDan wrote:Of cause the reality is that the general rules to which a 1-10th off road buggy is designed haven't changed since they were first written... as such the optimum design/layout was pretty much realised during the 90s... any development since has only really been 'fine tuning' - i'm sure if one of the top drivers decided to pick up a Losi XX or a B3 & run it... they would do just as well... they'd just struggle to find spares if it broke!
That's exactly what I said in a comment here a few months after I joined...other than electronics, which certainly has enjoyed impressive technological advancements, things pretty much peaked in the late 80's with regards to suspension & chassis development. Yeah, you see a lot more lighter-weight, expensive components being used (like alloy, graphite, carbon fiber instead of plastic, steel, glass-filled nylon & fiberglass) but other than that, anything beyond is pretty much just over-engineering.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

losi is cool till you need parts..then you sell them and buy ae...

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

at our indoor track the 22 is king atm (we have a guy thats great at setups and then everyone copies him).

i still roll a b4 (original factory team, not a b4.1) and theres a few fast guys still rolling b4's or.1's.

i personally won't change until ae releases a b5. ae's taken good care of me over the years and i'm not switching.

at our outdoor season closer a couple of guys showed up with mid motored 22's, they ended up 3 laps down to my "old b4".
the track was oldschool, rough, bumpy, loamy. a mid motored car had no place there. lol

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I would like a new buggy to see how it handles compared to my RC-10, and the 22s look cool, but I am sure the B5 will be equally as cool, or cooler.

But I am determined to have a good showing with my old is new rc-10. I want to show them that an old car, with more money in it than a new one, can compete... Wait a minute, that sounds off..