factory painted bodies

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rctenracer
Approved Member

factory painted bodies

Post by rctenracer »

Anyone know the secert? Factory bodies painted are dime a dozen . Any one got a vid on how they do it?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: factory painted bodies

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I'm guessing similar to mass produced oil paintings. Start at one end and as it progresses down the line each station does a single part. Over and over and over... Paint costs would stay low since they're buying huge volumes. I have no evidence to support this though. Just guessing.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

They silk screen each colour on a flat sheet of lexan and then they vacuform the sheet into a body. The contour of the body is factored in on the silk screens!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

slotcarrod wrote:They silk screen each colour on a flat sheet of lexan and then they vacuform the sheet into a body. The contour of the body is factored in on the silk screens!
That's pretty cool. I never would have guessed that, although it makes perfect sense. I guess it didn't seem obvious because I would think the heat of the vacuum would deform the paint. Thanks for the correct answer. :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

For interest's sake, I had a close look at a factory-painted HPI 1970 'Cuda body, the ones that come with those kits, comparing the quality and attention to detail of the one I did myself--and was not impressed. The paint application and sticker placement was pretty sloppy.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Coelacanth wrote:For interest's sake, I had a close look at a factory-painted HPI 1970 'Cuda body, the ones that come with those kits, comparing the quality and attention to detail of the one I did myself--and was not impressed. The paint application and sticker placement was pretty sloppy.
Sadly I'm not surprised. Imagine being the poor schlub applying decals to pre-painted bodies all day long for minimum wage(if that). Line madness for sure! I'm still upset that a body and paint cost so much. :cry: I love doing it, but $25 for the body and another $26-$28 for the paint. A very expensive part of the hobby(kinda like wheels and tires). :roll:
Ken

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
Sadly I'm not surprised. Imagine being the poor schlub applying decals to pre-painted bodies all day long for minimum wage(if that). Line madness for sure! I'm still upset that a body and paint cost so much. :cry: I love doing it, but $25 for the body and another $26-$28 for the paint. A very expensive part of the hobby(kinda like wheels and tires). :roll:
what he said