Anyone else into slot cars?

The place for all things Slot Cars.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage racer
Approved Member

Anyone else into slot cars?

Post by vintage racer »

Ive allways loved slots allmost as much as RC.Anyone else here into them?I like the smaller 80s Scalextric cars like the metros,Minis etc and recently built a routed MDF track,its so much smoother than plastic track,still need to landscape it.Heres some pics of my vintage collection,my modern collection and my track.Please feel free to post pics of your collection and tracks.
Attachments
DSCF2113.JPG
DSCF2114.JPG
track.jpg

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Anyone else into slot cars?

Post by scr8p »

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I like slot cars and have played around with them a bit. I would have really liked to get into wing cars but RC took all my money.

A couple of us have built open scalextric cars using only scalextric parts and magnets of course. They are hands down faster than any of the expensive brands on a plastic track. Put them on a commercial track and they'll get left for dead.

I've wanted to make my own unlimited 1/32 slot car using lexan bodies for a while now, too many other projects keep getting in the way. I think I can build something much faster using different parts.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

GreenHell
Approved Member

Post by GreenHell »

I'm into slot racing...

Here's one of the other slot threads: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=19935

These are recent pics from a Nats warm-up race at Mid America Raceway.

Getting my I-15 car ready for the main...

Gerding 155' "Blue King". http://www.slotcar1.com/
"All I wanted was a Pepsi..."

My Gallery | My Feedback | Rapid_RC

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

I think we have a track here that I have been meaning to go check out. :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Wow, that HO thread brings back lots of memories. I started slot cars in the 80's before moving on to RC cars. I still have all my HO slot car stuff.

I'd like to make a return to slot cars or get into wing cars for something different. I pretty much retired from RC racing, except for the fact someone gave me a brand new in box top shelf T4.2 set up to run, batteries, controller and all. So now I have to get back into RC racing. I think they did it to get me back to the track and help his son out. I enjoy helping out now more than racing anyways, and I didn't really want to take the truck but they insisted. I just want to have fun now rather then compete.

The only problem is the slot car track is pretty far away and getting a wing car set up from scratch isn't cheap. One day, too many hobbies and not enough time or money to do them all.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Groomi
Approved Member

Post by Groomi »

I spent much of my childhood playing with my Dads 1960's Scalextric and even set up a small club with some schoolmates. A few years ago I dug it all out again and refurbished the cars and gave them back to my Dad for his 60th birthday - so Aston Martin DB4GT, Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta, Porsche 550k?, Ferrari 156 Sharknose, a couple of BRM P57s and a few others.

While getting the parts from Ebay for the restoration I ended up with a Jaguar D-Type, Aston Martin DBR1, Ferrari 156 Sharknose and a load of BRMs, Porsches etc with steering for myself. From there I started getting more bits and pieces, adding bundles of track to my collection including a few pitlanes, Le Mans start grids, Goodwood chicane and a load of buildings. I also added more cars including a few Airfix ones and various other bits and bobs. The plan was to use all this as a hobby to buy, restore, sell and collect to give me a break from work (I'm a workaholic), but what I found was that the track took too much time to assemble and too much space to get any use. So in the end I got back into RC instead as it takes less space!

Anyway, in the middle of all that my Son had his 3rd birthday and I decided he was ready to get into Scalextric. There's a load of pics of what I did on my facebook page here and a thread telling the story on Slotforum here, but basically I built him a little track to go under his bed:

He and his sister now have a bunk bed which has more space underneath. When I can get time, we need a bigger track! :D
Using my son as an excuse to relieve my youth. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/MuzzoomModels

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I realized I mentioned a while back that I would try to find a picture of my track. This was from the last time we had it set up (winter 2005-2006), and all this talk of tracks has me wanting to get it back out. The layout was designed to fit on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and my father had built a folding table for it years ago (but once I moved out he shaved down the sides and now has a 8ft long standard-width folding banquet table :wink: ).
I am toying with the idea of building a hinged table that I can attach to the wall and fold the track out of the way when not in use. BUT that means attaching the track to the table and a LOT of time. :roll: Well, these slot car threads at least motivated me to find the picture. :lol:
Here it is without all the guardrail attached:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

wow, nice track!