Pituk's Optima Project

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pituk
Approved Member

Re: Pituk's Optima Project

Post by pituk »

The buggy's were definately well used , these were the extra parts in the box . All are worn or cracked except for the chain gears which was probaly because of the switch to the belts...not sure what happened to the body :shock: . There's a couple worn final pinion gears also , is that common or did the original owner just run a fast motor ? Made some progress on it , gave everything a good cleaning and did a little assembly .

Oddly enough , looked over the 10 and it just needs a bent shock screw replaced .

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The Optima's final pinion gear was made out of soft aluminum; practically every one you see will have the gear teeth worn to points. You can keep replacing them--which is a major pain as you have to totally disassemble the gearbox--or you can upgrade to a hard final pinion, Option House P/N OT-76, but those are hard to find and usually pretty expensive when you find one. Dirt Burners also made a hard steel gear to replace that stock final pinion. Lastly, you can follow markbt73's thread, he found a 19T gear for cheap on eBay that he was able to install with spacers and minor modding:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30624&start=22
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Coelacanth wrote:The Optima's final pinion gear was made out of soft aluminum; practically every one you see will have the gear teeth worn to points. You can keep replacing them--which is a major pain as you have to totally disassemble the gearbox--or you can upgrade to a hard final pinion, Option House P/N OT-76, but those are hard to find and usually pretty expensive when you find one. Dirt Burners also made a hard steel gear to replace that stock final pinion. Lastly, you can follow markbt73's thread, he found a 19T gear for cheap on eBay that he was able to install with spacers and minor modding:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30624&start=22
Tower Hobbies, actually, but who's counting? ;)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVCX4

I want to know what on Earth happened to that body. Is that fire damage? Did the ol' "spot-welder special" speed control give up in spectacular fashion? Or was it attacked by a tiny and particularly vicious dragon?

EDIT: looking more closely at that pile of gears, is that a hard final pinion sitting in front? To the left ot the complete rear diff, kinda half inside a sprocket?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

markbt73 wrote:looking more closely at that pile of gears, is that a hard final pinion sitting in front? To the left ot the complete rear diff, kinda half inside a sprocket?
Could be, but it almost looks too black & plasticky. It's about the correct size, though. The Dirt Burners gears were a dark grey color. Also notice to the far top right of the pile of diff parts, there's another gear that looks similar to the one you spotted. That would be quite the diamonds-in-the-rough if there were 2 hard final pinion gears in that lot of diff parts! :shock:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk »

Had some time over the weekend to work on the buggy and also thanks to Marc for the parts to finish it . I went with a Robinson 12t pinion , it was the smallest one I could find at the hobby shop . The manual does show a 9t pinion , is that for running 8.4v and also do not have the motor plate installed , will this have an effect on the gears or alignment ? Cleaned up the body , scraped off the flaking paint and repainted it . The blue is not an exact match , you can see different shades on it but it looks good from a couple feet back :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Very nice resto, that body-off chassis looks super clean!

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

That RC10 is sporting a Houge swing arm chassis , nice score .

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Nice job mate, looks pretty good. What motor does it have? The Turbo Optima's came with the Le Mans 240S which is a 19 turn motor and used a 9T pinion.

I don't know for certain, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea of the motor plate was to have a cooling effect on the motor, not having it shouldn't affect the gear alignment.

Keith :wink:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I think you're right about the motor spacer, Keith; it was probably for cooling.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Well, done! Looks amazing.