Team Durango DEX210

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Team Durango DEX210

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I decided I to join the 21st century. I wanted a new car, something that would be fun to bash around the neighborhood and take to the track now and then. The only thing on the market that looked exciting (well except some of the 1/8 e-buggies) was the 210. It's got all kinds of trick parts and adjustments. I'm very impressed with it so far.

I built my kit with a Tekin RS Gen 2 ESC and 10.5. This car is very fast, probably too powerful for the bashing I want to do, but I can't wait to see how it performs on the track. Steering the car is just a regular Hitec servo with bearings and I've got an old Airtronics MX-3 FM radio for now that I hope to upgrade to the MX-3X eventually. I put some Proline Dirt Hawg tires on the rear for banging around the neighborhood, I've got to find out what people are running at the local tracks and get another set of tires.

The yellow wheels inspired me to paint it as an Alitalia Lancia Stratos. I have the HPI Stratos body, so I took its decal set and went to town. I'm pretty happy with the results.
210-1.jpg
210-2.jpg
210-3.jpg
210-4.jpg
210-5.jpg
210-6.jpg

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Team Durango DEX210

Post by kaiser »

love the body. very cool.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Nice paint job 8)
Gone fishing

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk »

Looks great , reminds me of Wheejack . Hpi does have some great decals , wish they would sell them separately .

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I love the paintjob too! The wheels, not so much. But that's mainly because yellow is one of my least favorite colors. I also like those DEX210 bodies.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yeah, they really did a killer job on designing this body.

I agree about the yellow wheels. I wasn't crazy about them mainly because they kind of leave few options for paint. That's why I went with the Alitalia Stratos scheme. That car has always been one of my favorites.
Attachments
b0053320_502a0a143c053.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Great-looking car...bad wheels. :x That would've looked great with white powder-coated wheels.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rcrob
Approved Member

Post by rcrob »

MelvinsArmy wrote:The yellow wheels .....
I'd be interested to know who started the yellow wheel craze, and why. It's not like it's just Durango, TLR, everybody, is doing it.

And they're butt-ugly!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

rcrob wrote:
I'd be interested to know who started the yellow wheel craze, and why. It's not like it's just Durango, TLR, everybody, is doing it.

And they're butt-ugly!
My guess is Losi. Losi went all-in with the neon-colored everything. :x

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

certainly a dye bath in red or green or blue or black would change the ugly yellow.

rcrob
Approved Member

Post by rcrob »

Coelacanth wrote:
rcrob wrote:

And they're butt-ugly!
My guess is Losi. Losi went all-in with the neon-colored everything. :x
Yeah, but they had all kinds of neon - blue, green, yellow, and luuuuuvvvved the red/hot pink wheels. But yaller?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Whenever I think "Losi", white, blue & yaller is the first thing that comes to mind. Wasn't that their iconic color scheme, blue & yaller? I'm not into Losi so I don't know for sure, but those colors in the logo always seemed to be predominant.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

That's a killer paint job! I like the body styling on the 210. I like the 22 and the RTR B4.1 as well. None of them are cab forward monstrosities. Durango was pretty smart with the way they did their body to allow any gearbox orientation without cutting the main body differently. I've thought about getting a modern car and the 210 has been up there on my list. There are things I like and dislike about a few of the current cars though so the choice has been a bit tough. I'm mainly thinking about it since the best racing here is done on a large blue groove clay track, which I hate btw but if I want to get back into racing that's where it's at. I think a modern car would be far tougher on this surface. I already know first hand that the old RC10 and JRX2 try to self destruct on it.

I also really like mid motor and I don't like the 22 in that regards. The 210 gives options. Having had 2 mid motor cars I actually dislike the 4 gear setup. It does allow weight to shift on the drive wheels but the shift on and off throttle hinder performance everywhere else since weight shift is so extreme. The 3 gear setup is easier to drive but doesn't get off the line as well. We supposedly have a new indoor carpet "offroad" track about to open here. That's another concept I think is dumb but I suspect it will be popular too. The 210 in 3 gear mid would probably do very well here. 3 gear rear would probably be best on the clay track so that's the one car I could see that would work well for each track here. The dirt track we have is where the vintage cars play but that's not where the best racing is done. Keep us updated on how you like it and any problems you run across.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store