5.8mm Ball suds

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Hcp22
Approved Member

5.8mm Ball suds

Post by Hcp22 »

I have a hard time finding ball suds that have a 5.8mm ball, is M3 thread and look something like this…
$(KGrHqZHJFEFCcCpy+8PBQyjkwVvJw~~60_3.JPG
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

fredswain
Approved Member

Re: 5.8mm Ball suds

Post by fredswain »

I use the ball studs and ball cups from the 22. I've redrilled and tapped everything to work. They should be easy for you to find.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

fredswain wrote:I use the ball studs and ball cups from the 22. I've redrilled and tapped everything to work. They should be easy for you to find.
I should use them on the rear arms on a Scorpion and I don’t wane re tapped them if I can avoid it...
Vonats Kyosho Tomahawk R 104.jpg
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Lars, are those threads in the rear arms 3mm? If so, I would suggest using 4.8mm ball studs & ball cups. I never liked Kyosho's use of the larger 5.8mm balls and open-ended ball-ends because they wear out too fast and pop off too easily. Ball cups fit on a lot tighter and the design helps prevent a good amount of dirt from getting inside & in between the ball & cup.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Coelacanth wrote:Lars, are those threads in the rear arms 3mm? If so, I would suggest using 4.8mm ball studs & ball cups. I never liked Kyosho's use of the larger 5.8mm balls and open-ended ball-ends because they wear out too fast and pop off too easily. Ball cups fit on a lot tighter and the design helps prevent a good amount of dirt from getting inside & in between the ball & cup.
Then I need short ones, any suggestions’?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Kyosho makes short ball studs for the Lazer, I've used these in some places where there's very little clearance.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kyosho-UM128-4-8MM-BALL-STUD-L-ZX5-New-in-Package-/360637850154?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f7b0e22a

3Racing makes 4.8mm ball studs in every color, I've used these on all my builds; they're also available with 10mm long threaded part:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Racing-4-8MM-Ball-Stud-L-6-10-pcs-Green-/160999223495?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item257c4d30c7

If you REALLY need a tight clearance, you can find Delrin 4.8mm open-ended ball-ends, I've used that for the Optima steering assembly and on the servo as there's not much clearance there.

I like this package for the Tamiya M05 series, it gives you a lot of stuff to get you started for a very decent price - about $10:

3Racing #M05-16/LB
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Thank you sir, do they come in red? 8)
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Hcp22 wrote:Thank you sir, do they come in red? 8)
Not that particular kit, but 3Racing makes those ball studs in red, pink, purple, green, teal, etc.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

I think I need open ball ends, when I use Yokomo balls as in the picture above the arm doesn’t fall down the last 4-5mm :(
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Hcp22 wrote:I think I need open ball ends, when I use Yokomo balls as in the picture above the arm doesn’t fall down the last 4-5mm :(
I used these Delrin open-end ball ends also for the top half of my stabilizer assembly, as the stabilizer wire needs to protrude through the ball ends. Delrin is harder and more durable than plastic, they go on nice and tight and should last longer and have a lower profile compared to a ball cup. 8)