Servo tape for a servo

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

surgetek
Approved Member

Servo tape for a servo

Post by surgetek »

I know it seems like a dumb question but does anyone actually use servo tape to mount a servo?

I'm looking for other ways to mount a servo because I am running out of real estate.

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Servo tape for a servo

Post by scr8p »

you can, but it may work itself loose after awhile.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Good servo tape should be fine, the hard part is finding good tape. I like shoo goo but it's not easy to remove
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

surgetek
Approved Member

Post by surgetek »

I've found the 3m stuff is great.

But I can see it coming loose.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

just keep an eye on it. if the servo starts wiggling a bit too much, clean off the old stuff and retape it.

you don't want the servo letting go while leading a truck a-main by a couple laps. ask me how i know. :roll: :lol:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

:lol: I think we've all been there. Servo tape isn't the best but I've had some over the years that was just amazing. I wanna say it was from Racers Edge, and I know the old bolink stuff was pretty fantastic too
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Get the automotive double-sided tape that's used to attach those window visors and ghetto fake hoodscoops and such...it's half the thickness and twice as sticky. The stuff at my particular store comes in small rolls of black tape with dark green backing paper. Once that servo is stuck on, it won't come off unless you slip an X-Acto blade underneath it and cut it off. Of course, prep the surface by wiping it with a bit of rubbing alcohol to remove greasy fingerprints. One roll will last a looooong time. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

make sure surfaces are extremely clean and free of oils, wax, and dirt. also most automotive tapes are heat activated and bond better to warm surfaces so using a heat gun to warm up parts can help the bond. I think 3m stuff is best. if properly used stuff is great but bear in mind it is basically a strip of foam sandwiched between to layers of adhesive and is not really intended for holding parts subjected to excessive torquing and it will eventually work loose or fail. the higher the load the more chance of faliure. only car i use it on would be an optima and then it gets a zip-tie to hold rigid. expect to replace and readjust steering on a regular basis and consider some kind of failsafe to keep it from coming off the chassis at high speed and you car veering into a wall. I personally wouldn't trust it and think it would complicate setup. Knowing exactly how you plan on using it would also help. I can only generalze by the info given.

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Unless you are racing in really serious races servo tape is fine,clean both surfaces with prepwash aka wax and grease remover mark where you want it first,i use the duratrax stuff which actually works very well and use a spring clamp on it overnight before use.. I haven't changed mine in last two or three years.. If you have a modern kit I recommend servo mounts but vintage RC chasing some space it is ideal... Any 3m stuff will do I just happen to have started with duratrax and stuck with it literally.. I have had only one failure and that was when i used alcohol wipes as i had run out of my usual wax and grease remover... Club racing you should be fine mate..

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

I think all my graphite cars are taped down. But they only see the dirt oval track. Lol

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Johnboy72 wrote:I think all my graphite cars are taped down. But they only see the dirt oval track. Lol
the servo was taped down in my junior-t and that only saw dirt oval duty too. let go going into turn 3. got servo mounts after that. :wink: but, you're trying to turn a much larger tire than that of a buggy. the tape is only going to do it for so long before the foam twists apart.

back when i raced pan cars, up until the dynamic strut front end came along, i always used tape and never had a single issue with a servo letting go.

surgetek
Approved Member

Post by surgetek »

Everything in these when I got the couple boxes of parts was taped down, servos, ESCs, battery cup, etc. All of it held too. I know it's more power than 15-20 years ago but stuff was solid.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I only use tape to secure receivers and ESCs. All of my servos have mechanical mounts, whether factory equipped, adapted or manufactured from scratch. I've never met a tape that was as strong as a rigid mount with mechanical fasteners.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

surgetek
Approved Member

Post by surgetek »

Yeah I've moved on from it on my servo. I've come with a couple things that make eleviate some space.

I'll stick with it on my esc and RX.