I had a bad day!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

85Edinger
Approved Member

Re: I had a bad day!

Post by 85Edinger »

Wow, that stinks! It's a shame those cars were lost, at least your dogs made it.
Maybe a lipo charging sack would be a good investment. This males me rethink trusting a particular battery and charger just because they've been good.
Time for me to retire my old puffy SMC. . .
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

85Edinger wrote:Time for me to retire my old puffy SMC. . .
It has me thinking the same thing. I have bunches of old lipos in my basement that I'll never use again and I know that some are fully charged. I need to do a little spring cleaning and get rid of some of those older puffy ones. Better to error on the side of caution.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Hey Rod,sorry for all of your loss,no words could make it not happen....anything I can do to help Please let me know....Johnny

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Rod, sorry to hear of your losses...and happy to hear that no one was hurt. Good luck on the rebuild and hope your stay with the inlaw is a good one.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

Sad news indeed! :cry: Thankfully everyone is ok and nobody got injured. Hang in there and try to remain positive. Sending positive thoughts your way
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

oldstuffrules
Approved Member

Post by oldstuffrules »

:shock: Man, that's terrible. At least you and the dogs got out ok! Everything else eventually can be for the most part be put back together...I wish you the best.

I hope the insurance company treats you well.
Back at again because of a phone call..."Hey, how do you adjust those old Novaks?"
I have a RC channel on YouTube too...take a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuAS9eDBj_wSIyl4JakUIzA Thanks :)

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Sorry for your loss, thankfully the whole family, including pets made it through safely.

After 25 years in the industry, let me give you a few tips when it comes to working with insurance and contractors. DO NOT accept any payoffs from the insurance until you have consulted with a contractor. Adjusters are notoriously skimpy in their repair estimations, it is their job to low ball you and save the company money. Work with your contractor for a complete scope of work to get as much insurance reimbursement as you can, you've paid the premiums, now it's their turn to step up to the plate.

If you can find receipts for all the renovations, this will prove that things were new or newer, so their replacement value will be higher.

Insist that the entire house be smoke sealed, meaning all painted surfaces will be primed with a stain blocker primer, preferably BIN primer to seal in smoke odor before repainting. All fabrics and textiles will hold smoke odor, so get your nose down on the carpet and into the drapes, if cleaning doesn't cut the smoke, then they need to be replaced - on the insurance's dime.

Choose your contractor carefully, preferably someone familiar with fire damage repair, but this isn't a necessity. If you don't have a contractor you know and trust, then reach out to trusted family and friends for recommendations. Choose your contractor like you chose your wife, you want someone who is compatible with you and works with you.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. PMs would be the best way to grab my attention, as I don't always return to threads.

Again, glad that you and the rest of the family are safe and sound. 8)
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

That's awful, but I'm glad you and your dogs got out.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm never leaving a lipo unattended while charging again. I've been lax here and there, but no more. Not after hearing this.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Halgar wrote: Choose your contractor like you chose your wife...
Find one with small hands?

We chose ours based on a friend that used them, and we were very happy. They contracted a person that previously worked at that insurance company because they knew it would be a battle- and it was. We got about 90% of what we demanded and I attribute a lot of that to having that ex-worker help us with the claim.

Btw...if any of my friends out there are using Country Financial/Country Mutual insurance I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND finding a decent company instead. This company was ruthless- fighting us on code updates (not necessary unless inspector says so?! Wtf!?) and many other things like that.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Sorry to hear about all this Rod, Thank God no one was hurt. If you need anything, I will do my best to help.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Rod, you have been in my thoughts ever since I got off the phone with you yesterday! I hope things are moving smoothly with the insurance company. I meant every word I said when I mentioned coming to my place to live...I'm sure you won't wear out your welcome at Tiffany's place though. You got my number if ANYTHING comes up, let me know if I can help!

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

vintage AE wrote:Rod, you have been in my thoughts ever since I got off the phone with you yesterday! I hope things are moving smoothly with the insurance company. I meant every word I said when I mentioned coming to my place to live...I'm sure you won't wear out your welcome at Tiffany's place though. You got my number if ANYTHING comes up, let me know if I can help!
It is nice to have great friends like this that are willing to do anything to help you out in time of need! :D

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Thank you all again guys. My wife can't believe so many people could feel sorry for me! :lol:

Some pictures from my sons phone

My work bench and chair that now has a MINT B3 melted into it! The left side of the table had the charger.

Above the work bench toasty 7 or 8 NIB Tamiya and one Yokomo 834b Dog Fighter kits! :roll:

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

well im not gonna sleep to well tonight....

maybe you can salvage a few cars from the multiple kits.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

My throat closed off when I saw these, especially the last two. I want to give you back the box art RC10 graphite body I have. Thinking of selling my Yokomo 870 to buy something that you have lost in the fire, or giving it back to you. Pay back time for everything you've done for me.