Barn Fresh Dodge Charger

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Barn Fresh Dodge Charger

Post by LTO_Dave »

I helped my dad move his 1967 Charger out of the barn today after sitting for many, many years. We gave it a quick was but it started to rain, so I didn't take more pics. Check out that gas pedal! :D

He bought it probably 34 years ago with the intention of restoring it to driving condition. But things changed and he just never got around to it. He had the seats reupholstered and some of the chrome trim refinished many years ago, but that's about as far as he ever got. It was originally a 383 automatic and he started to convert it to a 4-speed. It also has factory AC. He found a black 4-speed console for it but the original was dark red. He also has other headlights/grills, rear tail lights, gauge cluster and rear emblem for it.

He's planning to run a 383 with maybe a cam, intake and headers, but nothing crazy. The rear passenger floor pan needs patched or replaced and the rear quarters were previously repaired. Now we just need to find the key for the trunk. :oops:

Hey scr8p, do you do house calls? :mrgreen:

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Re: Barn Fresh Dodge Charger

Post by knucklebuster »

Funny, I knew I would see a bigfoot gas pedal :lol:

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

i have always loved those fastback style chargers!!

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

Every nice car love those first gen Chargers!
Old is more FUN

Team A&L know it all - really :)

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

I love it, just like that.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Man there is so much potential in that car!
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Looks like quite the project! One challenge with the first-gen Chargers is parts availability; there's a lot less stuff out there, either used or repro, for those first 2 years. I always loved the interior. My first car was almost a '67 Charger, the interior seemed so cool, like you're sitting in a plane, with the full-length center console going through to the back seat. (Not very practical, mind you.) The car I looked at had too many mechanical issues, and I ended up getting my '70, which wasn't a star visually, but mechanically sound.

Don't hesitate to build up that 383; they were called the "big block that revs like a small block". They can make serious RPM. I have several recipes for 383 builds, depending on how far you want to go with it. Everybody talks about the 440's and Hemis, but those were relatively few production numbers-wise; it was the tons of 383's that were doing most of the everyday battles in the trenches back in the day. You wouldn't want to look down on a 383, especially if it was a Magnum.

Good luck with bringing another Charger back from the barn!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I see what you mean about the available parts after looking a little online. Luckily we have all of the exterior and interior trim, and the other expensive parts. I see you could have close to a $1000 in just the tail light and bezel pieces! And another several hundred for just the rear trunk badge. :shock:

My dad already has a block and heads, and most of the other needed engine parts. We also found some new door hinges and ball joint inside the car that he bought who knows how many years ago. :D

I cleaned up some of the interior with just a wet towel and got it fairly clean. This week I have to take three of the wheels off and try to free up the drums. We used a back hoe to drag it out of the barn and only one wheel came loose.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Post up the progress pics so I can live vicariously through you :)
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

RC104ever wrote:Post up the progress pics so I can live vicariously through you :)
x2!

josh
Approved Member

Post by josh »

(x2) +1!!!

that car is sick!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

One thing is Mopars will leave you broke, they cost at least twice what a Chev or Ford would... At least they're cooler :D

That would make the perfect sleeper.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Buddy and I build a 73 cuda on his and his Dads dollar years ago when we were about 17-18 wow what a car pics like this take me back. 340 with 727 trans manual valve body, sublime with black hockey stick stripe.

definatly keep us posted. Nice Car.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

LTO_Dave wrote:I see what you mean about the available parts after looking a little online. Luckily we have all of the exterior and interior trim, and the other expensive parts. I see you could have close to a $1000 in just the tail light and bezel pieces! And another several hundred for just the rear trunk badge. :shock:
If you guys have most or all of the exterior & interior trim parts that are missing from the pictures, you're blessed. Finding those in ANY condition will be difficult and expensive. If you have them stored, that's awesome.

Oh...if you ever get that car driving, get ready to debate with a bunch of "younger" Chevy guys who'll tell you it's impossible to have a 383 in a Mopar...they're referring to the dime-a-dozen 383 Stroker Chev crate engine you see all over the place these days, of course...not the Chrysler big block. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Coel, my dad has had most of the missing exterior trim pieces, tail lights and 4-speed console stored inside since he bought the car. Nothing is pristine, but everything is here. :D

I took some time and dug the interior pieces out and gave everything a wash and scrub with soapy water. The console lights and vinyl are in good shape. Some of the trim is pitted, but nothing major. I also found an original black dash pad that's in great shape.

I also found some 1966-67 Coronet 500 parts from my dad's old dirt racecar he had many years ago. I think the grill is from a '67 and the rear quarter trim pieces are from a '66. But the rest I'm not sure about. Please send me a PM if anyone is interested in these parts. :wink: