Optima is back!!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fastang
Approved Member

Re: Optima is back!!

Post by fastang »

I might have missed it but is there any word on production numbers? Is it going to be a limited run like the classic or are they going to keep making it until demand dries up like the worlds car?

ibcguy

Post by ibcguy »

I've got a re-release Optima coming, but the last r/c car I owned was the original Optima. Things have changed a bit!

So while my Optima will likely be a static model I want to build it so its ready to run. So the question is...what is the recommended modern running gear? Will the transmission handle a brushless/LiPo setup? Whats a simple but reliable 2.4ghz radio and esc that will handle lipo?

The Kyosho USA website shows a starter pack (no 82140) that has everything needed to run (radio,esc,receiver,servo,motor). Anyone know anything about it?

*Edit* Just found the resurrection thread which should cover my radio/esc questions, but would still like to hear opinions on motors which are suitable to the new Optima.

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Post by mugenbulldog »

Coelacanth, the venom packs I posted are rounded and definitely fit without filing down the holders.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

This is THE best news I've heard in ...... EVER!!!

Finally able to get brand new Optima spares at a reasonable unscalped price. The scalpers will hate this. It's one thing for an auction price to rise 'at auction' but some of the buy it now prices are ludicrous. So glad I have a spare new set of those original tyres here with me :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I don't think the Optima being re-released is going to hurt the market all that much. Especially for hop-ups and nice to new condition stock parts. If you're restoring an original or are a collector, you still want the original parts of course and are willing to pay accordingly. Although I hope it does kill the market in a way because I don't like how high the prices are now either.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Lowgear wrote:I don't think the Optima being re-released is going to hurt the market all that much. Especially for hop-ups and nice to new condition stock parts. If you're restoring an original or are a collector, you still want the original parts of course and are willing to pay accordingly. Although I hope it does kill the market in a way because I don't like how high the prices are now either.

All depends on who the collector is. If it was me, I don't care whether it's a new or old part when I have redone some of my vintage cars. I don't have any problem putting a 2014 part on my 1984 RC10. Why you ask? Because anyone I show it to won't know the difference, and I'm just happy it looks correct. Personally, I think these new releases (cars and parts) are likely killing some of the guys asking stupid prices for NOS parts/cars. Plus, people like me never could have owned or restored a vintage model we used to have, because we used new parts in the restorations, or just outright bought a new car.

ibcguy

Post by ibcguy »

ibcguy wrote:I've got a re-release Optima coming, but the last r/c car I owned was the original Optima. Things have changed a bit!

So while my Optima will likely be a static model I want to build it so its ready to run. So the question is...what is the recommended modern running gear? Will the transmission handle a brushless/LiPo setup? Whats a simple but reliable 2.4ghz radio and esc that will handle lipo?

The Kyosho USA website shows a starter pack (no 82140) that has everything needed to run (radio,esc,receiver,servo,motor). Anyone know anything about it?

*Edit* Just found the resurrection thread which should cover my radio/esc questions, but would still like to hear opinions on motors which are suitable to the new Optima.
Brushless/lipo is new to me and I'm still struggling to figure this out. Can someone give me a recomendation for a sensored brushless motor/ esc setup that'll be fun but won't tear up the new Optima driveline?

Francis

Post by Francis »

It appears that living in Japan gives me no further discounts on the optima at ¥ 45,360 (including taxes). We get a red Kyosho bag with our preorder purchase. However, nothing collectible about the bag. The Yen to Dollar conversion means I pay 398.00 dollars. In the US you guys are paying 299.00 (online). I thought this was made in Japan so why am I being asked to pay more!

Not fair and very strange!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Usually the selling price at the lhs in japan ends up somewhere around 80 to 75% of the recommended price on the labels and boxes for tamiya. Probably the same for kyosho, but preorder might be different.

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by Wahrsuul »

Geez, when I was in Japan (way too many years ago in the late 80's), the yen rate sucked, but the cars and parts were still way cheaper than buying them in the states. That's why I bought so many. (I was up to 36 at one point, now down to half that)

Somewhere in this posting, someone said something about this being a limited run like the original? I wasn't aware the original was a limited run. I bought one of the 100,000 celebration models, so they made at least that many. I'm not sure if that covers the variations either - Javelin, Salute, Turbo...

I still have the Optima, it sits on a shelf and has never been run. Heck, the body hasn't been painted.

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

Francis wrote:I thought this was made in Japan so why am I being asked to pay more!
Designed in California by a Japanese, but made in Taiwan. :roll:

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Regarding the shocks -

I´ll be in the bar awaiting my "Prince of shocks" crowning!

Or King of Pistons, for that matter :mrgreen:
Gone fishing

Grunger73
Approved Member

Post by Grunger73 »

Wahrsuul wrote:Geez, when I was in Japan (way too many years ago in the late 80's), the yen rate sucked, but the cars and parts were still way cheaper than buying them in the states. That's why I bought so many. (I was up to 36 at one point, now down to half that)

Somewhere in this posting, someone said something about this being a limited run like the original? I wasn't aware the original was a limited run. I bought one of the 100,000 celebration models, so they made at least that many. I'm not sure if that covers the variations either - Javelin, Salute, Turbo...

I still have the Optima, it sits on a shelf and has never been run. Heck, the body hasn't been painted.
I may have missed it but I don't recall anyone saying that it was going to be a limited run, at least not in this thread. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe you read that elsewhere ? I'm hoping you're wrong though :)
Edit: Fastfang had asked whether it was going to be a limited run like the "classic"? He was referring to the Rc10 Classic , not the original Optima. Maybe this is what you had read?

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by Wahrsuul »

fastang wrote:I might have missed it but is there any word on production numbers? Is it going to be a limited run like the classic or are they going to keep making it until demand dries up like the worlds car?
Just referring to this post, but I see you already covered it. Just misunderstood the original post.

mugenbulldog
Approved Member

Post by mugenbulldog »

ibcguy wrote:
ibcguy wrote:I've got a re-release Optima coming, but the last r/c car I owned was the original Optima. Things have changed a bit!

Brushless/lipo is new to me and I'm still struggling to figure this out. Can someone give me a recomendation for a sensored brushless motor/ esc setup that'll be fun but won't tear up the new Optima driveline?
For my re re scorpion I was in the same boat so I did some research and found some venom lipo stick packs, graupner radio and 17.5 motor / esc combo. Also got a venom charger that seems ok and didn't break the bank. I may just move the whole setup into the optima but the 17.5 might be a little too much, will have to see what others suggest.