Rediscovering my old RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Zipity

Rediscovering my old RC10

Post by Zipity »

Hi everyone!

I was visiting my parents for Christmas and came across my old RC10. Brought back some great memories :D

Naturally I've decided to dust it off and get it back up and running.

My parents moved a few times over the years, and it looks like a bunch of stuff has been lost in the moves. We could only find the car and not all of the other parts and accessories I used to have. But no problem. It will be fun to equip it with some updates where needed.

My mother is shipping it to me. I'll take some pictures once it arrives.

I've been lurking here over the last week, so I've been able to plug myself back in a bit and learn a few things, but I'm sure I still have much to learn about what has changed over the last 20 years. Here's what I think I need, but please feel free to offer any advice you have!

I need:
- new radio (controller, receiver - it has the old receiver, but I'd like to update the tech/frequency)
- new batteries and charger
- It has an updated motor, but I'm sure it's a brush motor. I'm wondering if I should go brushless?
- It has the original transmission (not stealth). If I go brushless, should I get a new transmission?
- An ESC.

I can't find the original wheels and tires. It has some aftermarket wheels and tires on it, but the rear wheel rubber is dented from sitting on a shelf for ~20 years. I recently purchased some new wheels (both JConcepts original size, and also JC Racing 2.2s), and tires (for the JConcepts).

It also has an upgraded steering assembly, so I think I'm good there. I forget where it came from, but it's made from aluminum and doesn't have much play in it.

What do I need with regard to maintenance items? Here's my guess:
- I plan to buy some Avid bearings. The revolution ones sound good to me since I'll likely run it off road in the dirt, etc.
- New shock oil. What's the best weight? I think it has the silver springs on it. Do I need new springs?

Any rubber or other parts that should be replaced after 20 years?

Please let me know what you think!

Zipity

Re: Rediscovering my old RC10

Post by Zipity »

Can one still buy a stealth transmission? I see the casing is still sold by team associates, but I don’t see a complete kit.

How does the stealth transmission compare to the lethal weapon belt transmission?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Stealths are discontinued but most of the parts are still available. The outdrives are the hard part. They are discontinued once again. You can find some on eBay though, aftermarket and pricey- but great quality.

The Lethal Weapon is a very smooth transmission but it came out before the stealth. We don’t recommend them with brushless motors, although a 17.5 would probably be ok. The belts and all the parts are readily available. They do require drilling a couple holes in your chassis- although depending on your car you may need to drill holes for thestealth as well so it may be a moot point. If you are interested in a Lethal Weapon give me a shout. I can save you some money on it.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Zipity

Post by Zipity »

Thank you for the info!

Since I'd like to potentially dabble with brushless motors, I decided to pull together all the parts for a stealth transmission and give it a try. Took me a bit to figure this all out. If someone else is interested, here's the current part list for the original stealth transmission I was able to cobble together from looking at the original stealth transmission kit image, the original instruction manual for the RC10 Worlds Car, and researching on teamassociated.com's website:

Right outdrive - 6577
Left outdrive - 6578
Top Shaft - 9601
Silicone Diff Lube - 9651
Black Grease - 6588
Associated Diff Drive Rings - 6579
Diff Thrust Bolt parts - 6575
Diff Thrust Washer and Bolt (seems like a dup of the bolt, just need the diff washers) - 6573
Slipper spring and washer - 7486
Diff Thrust Spring - 6582
Locknut 5-40 (couldn't find locknut by itself, this is also packaged with the RC10 Diff spring) - 6628
Screws, 4-40 x 1 in SHCS - 6928
Transmission case - 6565
Spur gear (original 81t) - 9651
Transmission Brace - 6325
Diff gear - 6580
Idler Shaft and Gear - 6570
Slipper Hubs, V2 - 6580
Slipper pads, V2 - 9611
Diff Thrust Balls, 5/64 in (replaced 6576) - 6574
Carbide Diff Balls, 3/32 in - 6581
Bearings, 3/8 x 5/8 in, rubber sealed - 3976
Bearings, 3/16 x 3/8 in, rubber sealed - 3977
Bearings, 5/32 x 5/16 in - 6589

I was able to find all the parts to buy, but it took a few online stores. Teamassociated.com sells the right outdrive, but not the left. I found the left outdrive at activepowersports.com, and at a good price (less than team associated's normal price). Let's see if it actually ships! I also used activepowersports.com for a bunch of items on the list above since they had lower prices than teamassociated.com.

And I purchased bearings from avidrc.com — both a complete set for the original RC10, and then also the bearings needed for the stealth transmission.

Zipity

Post by Zipity »

To get back up and running, I just need a battery, charger, and radio/receiver.

The Tenergy TB6-B seems like a very popular charger:

https://smile.amazon.com/Tenergy-Balance-Charger-Discharger-Connectors/dp/B00466PKE0

Is the Reedy charger (which seems to be a rebadged Ultra Power) worth an extra $100?

https://smile.amazon.com/Team-Associated-1216-C2-Balance-Charger/dp/B01B9EC4CM

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

I've not had any luck with activepowersports.com. They list things they don't have. One time I got a quick refund, net time I had to ask, not very politely to get my money back. Both times for the Stealth out drive. Good luck!
Bum on Direct Deposit

Zipity

Post by Zipity »

NomadRacer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:54 pm I've not had any luck with activepowersports.com. They list things they don't have. One time I got a quick refund, net time I had to ask, not very politely to get my money back. Both times for the Stealth out drive. Good luck!
Thanks for letting me know. I'm not in a big rush since I have a working original transmission to kick around with, and I submitted the order, so we'll see how they do.

Zipity

Post by Zipity »

Just picked up the Futaba 3PV with R304SB receiver.

How do antennas work these days? I currently have an original, about a foot long plastic antenna holder on the car. My understanding is the new 2.4Ghz receivers only need a ~31mm antenna or something like that. It doesn't look like it comes with an antenna holder. Any recommendations?

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Zipity wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:29 pm
NomadRacer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:54 pm I've not had any luck with activepowersports.com. They list things they don't have. One time I got a quick refund, net time I had to ask, not very politely to get my money back. Both times for the Stealth out drive. Good luck!
Thanks for letting me know. I'm not in a big rush since I have a working original transmission to kick around with, and I submitted the order, so we'll see how they do.
If your quick, (there's only 1 left) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ASSOCIATED-RC10-STEALTH-2-25-OUTDRIVE-set/323624569136?hash=item4b59870930:g:aEEAAOSwvcFcJQMh:rk:2:pf:0

I have this, I could let you have at cost since I'm not going to need it now https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ASSOCIATED-RC10-STEALTH-2-25-LEFT-OUTDRIVE-6578/323554915182?hash=item4b5560336e:g:lkwAAOSwoDlbzmY4:rk:10:pf:0
Bum on Direct Deposit

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Zipity wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:36 pm Just picked up the Futaba 3PV with R304SB receiver.

How do antennas work these days? I currently have an original, about a foot long plastic antenna holder on the car. My understanding is the new 2.4Ghz receivers only need a ~31mm antenna or something like that. It doesn't look like it comes with an antenna holder. Any recommendations?
You could search ebay for an antenna holder, there's a couple of options. I have the same Futaba, love it!
Bum on Direct Deposit

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Hi Zipity and welcome to the forums. :D Happy you've been able to reconnect with a long lost friend.
I have a couple Futaba 2.4 Rx's that don't have any antenna (at least not an external one anyway). My other Rx's have antennas that are extremely short. It's nice not to have to deal with that hassle anymore.
Regarding the transmission, I wouldn't be to quick to park that ole 6-gear. I have an old 1st gen gold pan runner that's bone stock (and a heck of lot of fun to drive btw) and running an AE 3500 kV brushless system borrowed from a B4 RTR and I've had no issues after the tranny was built properly. Just do a thorough rebuild and be sure to locktite and tighten the nut that holds the outdrive axle to the spine plate. I've had mine loosen once which did cause some trouble (my fault).
Also, regardless of which tranny you use, be sure to use actual AE diff lube and not grease on the diff assembly (it will slip if you use grease).
Post some pics of your car when you can.
Doug

Zipity

Post by Zipity »

Thanks for the offer! Let's see if activepowersports.com comes through.

Zipity

Post by Zipity »

NomadRacer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:38 pmYou could search ebay for an antenna holder, there's a couple of options. I have the same Futaba, love it!
The car still has the original antenna mount and tube.

I think I got confused from looking at all of the pictures of rc10s recently without any external antenna, so I thought you don't need an external antenna anymore. Do people take photos without the antenna to keep things "clean"?

The 2.4Ghz Futaba receiver I just purchased does have an antenna (a lead and an exposed part that's 31mm long). I'm assuming I can just use the original tube and perhaps cut it down so it's about 31mm tall?

Zipity

Post by Zipity »

XLR8 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:52 am Hi Zipity and welcome to the forums. :D Happy you've been able to reconnect with a long lost friend.
I have a couple Futaba 2.4 Rx's that don't have any antenna (at least not an external one anyway). My other Rx's have antennas that are extremely short. It's nice not to have to deal with that hassle anymore.
Regarding the transmission, I wouldn't be to quick to park that ole 6-gear. I have an old 1st gen gold pan runner that's bone stock (and a heck of lot of fun to drive btw) and running an AE 3500 kV brushless system borrowed from a B4 RTR and I've had no issues after the tranny was built properly. Just do a thorough rebuild and be sure to locktite and tighten the nut that holds the outdrive axle to the spine plate. I've had mine loosen once which did cause some trouble (my fault).
Also, regardless of which tranny you use, be sure to use actual AE diff lube and not grease on the diff assembly (it will slip if you use grease).
Post some pics of your car when you can.
Thanks for the transmission tips!

Zipity

Post by Zipity »

These wheels are pretty hot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2-Aluminum-Wheels-For-Team-Associated-RC10-Classic/283325338318?hash=item41f78192ce:g:KVoAAOSwcqxcLTMi:rk:1:pf:0

That said, my guess is aluminum is a lot heavier. Anyone know if they make this same style in plastic?

I did pick up some JC Racing wheels:

https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/vintage-wheels/wheels/rc10

but I like the more original style of the top wheels.