Best cold air intake?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ridoy

Best cold air intake?

Post by Ridoy »

Just wondering what people think is the best cold air intake and if any noticeable gains?

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: Best cold air intake?

Post by RC10th »

Ridoy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:07 am any noticeable gains?
Yes

images457-1.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Ridoy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:07 am Just wondering what people think is the best cold air intake and if any noticeable gains?
If it comes with a tuner to optimize the performance mod then yes maybe MAYBE a gain of 2-10hp on a gas vehicle.................................otherwise you're just throwing money away.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

aFe Power claims dyno-proven gains of up to +10 horsepower, as KidAgain mentioned, at least for the Dodge Magnum 5.7L Hemi. A lot of other brands only make claims that may or may not be substantiated by actual dyno testing. I have this on my '05 Magnum and while I can't say I feel a significant difference, it sure sounds like it breathes better, and the engine bay looks much cleaner. I might even gain a few more HP when I finish doing my Danko Reproductions shaker hood this summer, which has a duct that mates directly to the top of the CAI airbox, and effectively becomes a ram air setup.

I also fabricated my own CAI for my '86 GN, making one from 3.5" tube, because all the aftermarket ones were 3", or 4"--the latter requiring a bigger turbo inlet bell, which is practically impossible to find anymore, unless you go with a bigger turbo. As long as you're able to get your car's computer to recognize the increased airflow (requires a chip programmer or, in the case of the old GN, the AXiS translator you see in the pic), you will definitely gain some horsepower.

CustomIntake.JPG
CustomIntake_AxisTranslator_Installed.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Coelacanth wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:53 pm aFe Power claims dyno-proven gains of up to +10 horsepower, as KidAgain mentioned, at least for the Dodge Magnum 5.7L Hemi. A lot of other brands only make claims that may or may not be substantiated by actual dyno testing. I have this on my '05 Magnum and while I can't say I feel a significant difference, it sure sounds like it breathes better, and the engine bay looks much cleaner. I might even gain a few more HP when I finish doing my Danko Reproductions shaker hood this summer, which has a duct that mates directly to the top of the CAI airbox, and effectively becomes a ram air setup.

I also fabricated my own CAI for my '86 GN, making one from 3.5" tube, because all the aftermarket ones were 3", or 4"--the latter requiring a bigger turbo inlet bell, which is practically impossible to find anymore, unless you go with a bigger turbo. As long as you're able to get your car's computer to recognize the increased airflow (requires a chip programmer or, in the case of the old GN, the AXiS translator you see in the pic), you will definitely gain some horsepower.

CustomIntake.JPG

CustomIntake_AxisTranslator_Installed.JPG
You just brought back some serious memories, I had an 87 GN with all the goodies Ken Bell fuel regulator, high/low chip, ported manifold, ported turbo and heads, factory front mount intercooler and so on she ran 12.00 with those minimal mods but I had good money in the suspension.

Back to the CAI, Ive been to AFE when they were working on the Dodge diesel stuff in 03 (my buddies truck was the mule) and the diesels always made SOME power with the CAI but the gas cars only made real power with the addition of a tuner and when I say real power I mean like 2-8hp..............................
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I think to see any decent gains from a CAI, of course you need the ECU to recognize the increased airflow...but another factor is exhaust. If you're getting more flow in, but the exhaust is the same restrictive stock exhaust, gains would probably be minimal if any. My Magnum has a Flowmaster stainless exhaust with no resonators, so that probably helps to realize some minor HP gains.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Cold air intakes best gains are in the looks department. Like others have said. Unless other things have been modified the stock air box breathes as good as the stock engine needs. I’ve seen plenty of people test the theory on a dyno and the gains are minimal if at all.