Now people can't stop talking about the 1/12th Fantom 4wd re-re!!! :)

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Re: Now people can't stop talking about the 1/12th Fantom 4wd re-re :D

Post by GoMachV »

First gen fantom didn’t have front springs. The more popular MKII did. Really just depends on what they copied. This car more resembles a first gen, but I suspect they will add things such as the front springs.

Rear suspension was simply chassis flex as with most pan cars of the day. The chain wasn’t picky but because of the flex I wouldnt expect to see a belt drive version. The MKII had an oil shock and different radio plate with directly connected servo.

The front tires are smaller but are driven by one way bearings inside the sprocket. If the tire slips, it will then be driven. If it isn’t slipping then the sprag overruns.

This will be super fun, as most people are scared to run their vintage Fantoms. The front sprockets were really weak. Nice to see metal on the rere.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:21 pm First gen fantom didn’t have front springs. The more popular MKII did. Really just depends on what they copied. This car more resembles a first gen, but I suspect they will add things such as the front springs.

Rear suspension was simply chassis flex as with most pan cars of the day. The chain wasn’t picky but because of the flex I wouldnt expect to see a belt drive version. The MKII had an oil shock and different radio plate with directly connected servo.

The front tires are smaller but are driven by one way bearings inside the sprocket. If the tire slips, it will then be driven. If it isn’t slipping then the sprag overruns.

This will be super fun, as most people are scared to run their vintage Fantoms. The front sprockets were really weak. Nice to see metal on the rere.
That's interesting. So no dif on the front? Probably not an issue on such a small light car.
Anyway, I'd like to own a copy but the price does seem a bit steep.
Doug

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The originals were $199 iirc... in 1985 money that was $475. This ones a bargain! 🤣
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:21 pm First gen fantom didn’t have front springs. The more popular MKII did. Really just depends on what they copied. This car more resembles a first gen, but I suspect they will add things such as the front springs.

Who needs Tamiyadan when one has GoMachV? :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Re: No-one talks about the 1/12th Fantom 4wd re-re???

Post by sundevil67 »

No kiddin... I thought I was the only one left with an Axis EX - though I've had it for years & haven't gotten around to building it yet. That's probably the one example of the old Kyosho 1/12s that's harder to get parts for than the Fantom. Do you run yours?

Lowgear wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 am Seems like nobody has discussed it as most didn't know about it, including myself. As a collector, I wonder how this will affect the originals value as the 1/12 Kyosho pan cars generally fetch a mint on eBay. Hopefully not much since original is still original.

I'm happy to maybe get some new wheels for my Axis EX assuming they're the same. Also, a new production body wouldn't hurt.

Either way, this is pretty rad. 8)
Attachments
IMG_7781.jpeg

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

There's been one or two that have popped up on here before. They are very rare I'd surmise as they were only produced for a short time in 1988 I believe.

I bought mine in 2013 from member clinehobbies. At the time I didn't know much about them but had a hunch it was something special. The one I have is used/run but not by me. I'm a shelf queen collector type of guy. It's in nice shape overall but shows some wear. It's also sporting a box art painted Plazma body but the person who mounted it messed up the hole placement a little bit. :|

I figured I would replace the parts that show wear with new ones as they turned up on eBay. Unfortunately I've only ever gotten a new T-bar chassis plate. There's been other parts I've needed that have shown up but have lost them due to procrastination. :?

I've only seen a complete one show up on eBay once since I've had mine, and it was a NIB one from Japan.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

This would be a good kit to buy in my opinion, I can't see huge numbers of these being sold but once they are gone spiking in value.

I would definitely buy one if I was financially better off and our dollar wasn't so crap.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

1300GT

Post by 1300GT »

RC10th wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:43 am This would be a good kit to buy in my opinion, I can't see huge numbers of these being sold but once they are gone spiking in value.

I would definitely buy one if I was financially better off and our dollar wasn't so crap.
You know you want one RJ, you cannot resist! :lol:
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: Now people can't stop talking about the 1/12th Fantom 4wd re-re!!! :)

Post by RC10th »

1300GT wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:41 am
RC10th wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:43 am This would be a good kit to buy in my opinion, I can't see huge numbers of these being sold but once they are gone spiking in value.

You know you want one RJ, you cannot resist! :lol:

I know I can't resist but I'm not wealthy enough for all my hobbies, lol. Metro has them for $380 pre order which I must admit is slightly better than I thought. Beautiful car though, I just wish they released it with a ball diff. All that beautiful alloy and an exposed plastic gear diff that requires a special spur gear, lol.

Are you getting one?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

1300GT

Post by 1300GT »

Yep. Mine's on pre-order from Metro Hobbies.
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

I actually really dig that exposed gear diff!!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Got to get one its so cool and I hope they release some other bodies for it and the plazma, they are halfway there so to say.

Mvh iso

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

I was hemming & hawing a bit over whether or not to buy a one of the re-released Optima series, but this is such a surprise... For the small circle of people I know who are into vintage Kyosho 1/12 I'd wager we're all gonna be buying one. I don't see any way I resist buying at least one of these.... more likely I wind up getting a shelfer, a runner, and a bunch of parts so I can turn one of my existing shelfer's into a runner so I'll have a 'resto-mod' too.

Anyone found anyplace to order one within the US yet?

caesar

Post by caesar »

Howdy,

I can't believe they are releasing this, I'm in shock. I don't think the sales/popularity will be anywhere near the optima series re release. But check out the BOX. looks amazing, it just screams buy me, so I could be wrong.

The memories this thing brings back is freaking me out, I remember going to buy a new chassis for my turbo optima after it was run over by a van and seeing these at the local hobby shop. From that moment on I always wanted one, luckily I managed to buy one about 5 years ago.

If I didn't have an original it would be a no brainer to get it. My heart is telling me to buy it but my wallet is saying no.

Cheers

fantonep4wd1.jpg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Just noticed info on the Fantom is now posted on Kyosho's site.
No availability date yet and price is $219.99 US which doesn't seem too bad to me.

https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/30635-112-fantom-4wd-kit.html

Man, that thing is beautiful!! 8)
Doug