Losi JRX Pro SE Resurrection / Rebuild

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JustX

Losi JRX Pro SE Resurrection / Rebuild

Post by JustX »

Hi everyone,

Due to the worldwide pandemic and having to stay home, I started to look for things to do and my mind started to wander back to my days of RC racing.

Back in those days, some 25 years ago (how time flies!) I used to race a Pro SE and what a lovely car it was, so it just has to be done.

Been sat in an attic for many years so there will be some tidying up to do I knew that, but after just half an hour with a brush and some tools I cleaned her up and happy to say the car is in lovely condition.

I plan on completely dismantling it and replacing any worn, scabby, or broken parts.

I can see that the turnbuckles are a little rusty and the ends not very pretty, so I'll be looking for some titanium replacements, does anyone know if the XX will fit length wise?

As you can see it has a grey transmission housing, it's not an LRM, this car is the later version Pro SE with the Retrofit transmission out-of-the-box, but the casing is damaged so it will get a new one of those too.

I'll also be looking for any hop-up parts but scouring ebay I can already see this is going to be a big problem, so will be looking to 'borrow' any parts or anyone's idea's on easier options.

I need a bodyshell and wing, I have wheels but need 2.2 for modern tyres so have ordered the JC Racing Products 5 spoke specifically for this model, so no modifying should be needed (although I would love to run the XX 5 spokes really).

Electronics I'm not to sure about yet, I have never seen a lipo pack nor even a brushless motor! These were way after my time!

So that's it for now, I will update the thread when I have stripped it down and started from fresh.

Thanks!

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Re: Losi JRX Pro SE Resurrection / Rebuild

Post by Burniefloyd »

That's a nice looking car, looking forward to seeing more.

I just rebuilt my XX and I bought a pack of 2.3" 58mm titanium links from eBay. I can tell they were too long and I had to cut them all down with a hacksaw (and 4 blades). When I get a chance I can see if I can dig out and measure the original ones for you.

Also Team Blue Groove makes repro body shells. I contacted them recently and they are out of lexan due to coronavirus but hope to get some in soon.
Self described chronic hobbyist

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

You need 4 1-1/8" and 2 1-3/8" turnbuckles. You can order the retro turnbuckles from lunsford.

JustX

Post by JustX »

Burniefloyd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:47 pm That's a nice looking car, looking forward to seeing more.

I just rebuilt my XX and I bought a pack of 2.3" 58mm titanium links from eBay. I can tell they were too long and I had to cut them all down with a hacksaw (and 4 blades). When I get a chance I can see if I can dig out and measure the original ones for you.

Also Team Blue Groove makes repro body shells. I contacted them recently and they are out of lexan due to coronavirus but hope to get some in soon.
Thanks, I have managed to order a body shell here in the UK from Penguin :)

I used to run a different body from the original but never knew who made it, I'd love another but have no clue where to even start as google searches throw only originals up.

JustX

Post by JustX »

mikea96 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:41 pm You need 4 1-1/8" and 2 1-3/8" turnbuckles. You can order the retro turnbuckles from lunsford.
Thanks for the info, I assume i need the retro ones?

https://lunsfordracing.com/collections/retro-turnbuckles/products/4-40-retro-titanium-turnbuckles

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The Punisher series are stronger and easier to adjust, but the retro series are more era correct. Both are lifetime guaranteed and 100% made in the USA.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JustX

Post by JustX »

I'd prefer the punisher series but can only find 3mm for the xx will these fit?

Thanks

mcdze
Approved Member

Post by mcdze »

the best way to do it is upgrade the rod ends to 'rpm' at the same time and then decide whether you want standard length or long shank and the color you want .. long shanks look alot beefier on a vehicle but a jrx may have too short of rods for those havent looked at one in awhile .. get the ends you want then mock them up on your existing rods to decide on length and order the lunsfords by pairs ... rpms ends and likely stock ends to, never use them, will have to be reamed out with a 7/64 drill bit to fit the 3mm rods .. its simple takes 2 minutes to do them all, just hold them carefully with a crescent wrench whilst you do it ...

JustX

Post by JustX »

mcdze wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:45 pm the best way to do it is upgrade the rod ends to 'rpm' at the same time and then decide whether you want standard length or long shank and the color you want .. long shanks look alot beefier on a vehicle but a jrx may have too short of rods for those havent looked at one in awhile .. get the ends you want then mock them up on your existing rods to decide on length and order the lunsfords by pairs ... rpms ends and likely stock ends to, never use them, will have to be reamed out with a 7/64 drill bit to fit the 3mm rods .. its simple takes 2 minutes to do them all, just hold them carefully with a crescent wrench whilst you do it ...
Thanks. I actually ordered some heavy duty RPM rod ends a few days ago so hoping they will turn up today. I ordered both the long and short, in blue and black. I'm 99% sure i'll go with the long black ones to keep things looking fairly original, but I'll mock up the shorter blue ones too just to see how they look, and order the appropriate turnbuckles.

I was unsure if they could be taken out to 3mm so thanks for confirming that for me :)

JustX

Post by JustX »

Wheels arrived but I'm disappointed, the yellow 5 spokes are yellow on the front but the rears have a green tinge to them, they do not match in colour. Pretty difficult for the camera to pick up but obvious to the naked eye.

So I'm forced to go with the white ones.

RPM rod ends arrived.

Lunsford titanium turnbuckles ordered.

New screws ordered.

Also ordered Fiberlyte front and rear shock towers, looking forward to receiving those! :)

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I LOVE the design of the orignal losi 5 spokes. I only recently saw that JC was making them.

JustX

Post by JustX »

Yes I did consider using XX 5 spokes (using modified XX front stubs/carriers) but decided that I would stay true to the original wheels as much as I could :)

JustX

Post by JustX »

Does anyone know the part number for the dogbones/driveshaft please? To suit retrofit transmission.

Thanks.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

The A-3081 is the buggy dogbone. There is a manual for the XX retrofit transmission at Vintage Losi here: http://www.vintagelosi.com/Instructions_files/RetrofitXX.pdf.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

JustX

Post by JustX »

Thank you.