RC "Rule Bending" Stories?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HS-YZ250

RC "Rule Bending" Stories?

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Are there any good stories about RC Racing rules being bent, or rules being written because someone did something that gave them a huge advantage that nobody else thought of?

One of the race car engineers most famous for doing this was Smokey Yunick, who had hidden fuel tanks and his (supposedly) "7/8 Chevelle". But he was hardly the only race car engineer looking to get around rules. The following video gives a few examples, and I wish showed the whole seminar.

I don't count the prototype cars of the 80's or 90's because those were allowed by the rules. I do, vaguely, recall someone once building an electronic traction control system in the early 90's, but don't recall who and think it was immediately banned.
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: RC "Rule Bending" Stories?

Post by Lowgear »

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

4wd before they got their own class?
I think it is LRP you're thinking of with respect to the esc. But I think it was more like a gyro that auto-corrected the steering so you could go straight even on the most slippery tracks.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:00 am Checkout this topic: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=40110
Nice! Thanks!
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Wow. Some hurt feelings in that thread!
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Yeah while quickly skimming over it I remembered there was. Luckily it's a rarity on here.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

At risk of driving this fully off "RC Off-topic", I found this recent video of the rule benders from one of my favorite storytellers.

Now I know Roger Penske's Indy dominating Mercedes engine in the early 90's was on-brand for him, and not just a one-off moment.

Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:39 pm I don't count the prototype cars of the 80's or 90's because those were allowed by the rules. I do, vaguely, recall someone once building an electronic traction control system in the early 90's, but don't recall who and think it was immediately banned.
I'm pretty sure this was GM Racing of Germany. Maybe LRP??? but GM comes to mind first.

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

I snuck a modified armature into a stock-can motor.

This was in the 1980's, local racing here in San Antonio - so I was maybe 12 years-old... And this was for a dirt-oval race - I always preferred off-road, but our track at that time had a large dirt-oval around the perimeter, so we would run that some weekends.

I carefully bent the tabs back, etc., to get the endbell off, and put a mild modified armature in the can, put it all back together as carefully as I could!! :)

I was running like 2nd place, would have finished 2nd or maybe even 1st... But my battery dumped!
- Race organizers were not too strict about 'tech'ing the cars back then, but the fact that my battery dumped in "stock" class made the organizers suspicious (I guess my car was pretty fast too :twisted: )
- So they did tech inspection, they couldn't definitively tell that I had opened the motor, but one of the guys sat there and tried to count the winds on my armature...
- Since I hadn't placed well after the battery dump, they pretty much just told me the motor was suspicious and not to use it anymore.
-dldiaz

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Where did you race in San Antonio?

The only rc racing I did was on the north side from about '90-'95, mostly at all indoor tracks, then once at an outdoor track inside a paved oval at a transposition museum.
dldiaz wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:16 pm I snuck a modified armature into a stock-can motor.

This was in the 1980's, local racing here in San Antonio - so I was maybe 12 years-old... And this was for a dirt-oval race - I always preferred off-road, but our track at that time had a large dirt-oval around the perimeter, so we would run that some weekends.

I carefully bent the tabs back, etc., to get the endbell off, and put a mild modified armature in the can, put it all back together as carefully as I could!! :)

I was running like 2nd place, would have finished 2nd or maybe even 1st... But my battery dumped!
- Race organizers were not too strict about 'tech'ing the cars back then, but the fact that my battery dumped in "stock" class made the organizers suspicious (I guess my car was pretty fast too :twisted: )
- So they did tech inspection, they couldn't definitively tell that I had opened the motor, but one of the guys sat there and tried to count the winds on my armature...
- Since I hadn't placed well after the battery dump, they pretty much just told me the motor was suspicious and not to use it anymore.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

You got it!! The transportation museum is exactly where I was racing at the time! The oval was dirt in it's first inception which was mid-late 1980's. I actually never raced there after they paved the oval - I was a teenager by then and found other interests... :)
- How old were you at that time?
- Some of the adults I remember from those days: Craig Schmidt, Ronnie Drew, Chris Brame, Art Ferrell, Keith Wilhelm, Buford Tannehill

Which indoor track did you race? I'm guessing the shop near the airport (Jones-Maltsberger/Starcrest area) was running at that time? I raced with the owner of that place, Mike (can't recall his last name), for years before he opened that shop, but I was getting out of racing by the time he opened.
-dldiaz

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:47 pm Where did you race in San Antonio?

The only rc racing I did was on the north side from about '90-'95, mostly at all indoor tracks, then once at an outdoor track inside a paved oval at a transposition museum.

By the way - did you also ride dirt bikes (YZ250 ?) back then? Did you ride trails/homemade tracks on the Northeast side of town?? :mrgreen:
-dldiaz

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

dldiaz wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:51 pm You got it!! The transportation museum is exactly where I was racing at the time! The oval was dirt in it's first inception which was mid-late 1980's. I actually never raced there after they paved the oval - I was a teenager by then and found other interests... :)
- How old were you at that time?
- Some of the adults I remember from those days: Craig Schmidt, Ronnie Drew, Chris Brame, Art Ferrell, Keith Wilhelm, Buford Tannehill

Which indoor track did you race? I'm guessing the shop near the airport (Jones-Maltsberger/Starcrest area) was running at that time? I raced with the owner of that place, Mike (can't recall his last name), for years before he opened that shop, but I was getting out of racing by the time he opened.
Yup! Across from the Stadium. I don't know how long it was there before I got there, but I started around 90/91 when it was The Finish Line and run by some goofball guy (forget his name. Francis?). He had two kids and a woman working for him. Later it was Rebel Hobbies and everyone hated everyone who ran it because they were RC Plane oriented and neglected the track. I recall when Finish Line was seeing trouble I helped re-label trophies that said "Red Line Hobbies", so that might have been an earlier name. Have some pictures when my parents brought me by and everyone raced JRX-T's, which is what I started on from there. I remember turnout dropping about the time I started. I would have been about 14-ish when I first found the place, then about 17 when I started doing other things, and 18 when I moved away. After Rebel Hobbies left there is when I, once, ran at the transportation museum. Around 94? I had my truck by then. I think someone else tried to do a shop and track off Wetmore road, but it didn't last long. Now that I think about it, I also put foam tires on my buggy and did some parking lot racing further in town near a HobbyTown (maybe) near a golf course built into an old quarry. But I moved out of town shortly after that.

I'm going to have to really think about names. I want to say Ward Merril (?)? There was a latino guy named "Johnny" (maybe?) that was a bit of a hothead. An older gent named Lyle that, I think, Ward would calk "Senile Lyle" for some reason. I think Ward was a dick. Lol! Other people are more faces. When Rebel Hobbies took over, I recall a lot of people ditching RC racing for gokarts.

I got into dirt bikes relatively recently. I moved back to Georgia around '95 and got into quad racing in 99. Picked up a TRX250R and raced the wheels off it for years. Then after burning out on that, got a friend group that was into dirt bikes and picked up my YZ250, maybe around 2008, and rode/raced that a lot up until a couple of years ago. Was never as good on the bike as the quad, though. Haven't done anything with bikes or quads in the past couple of years so I can fix up my old trucks, but haven't gotten around to that, either. Whenever the trucks are squared away I'll get back to riding the bike. The quad will probably stay a garage queen; haven't ridden that since I picked up the bike and, like my RC Cars, has become a collectible.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

Awesome! Yes, that shop right across from Blossom Athletic Center (stadium) - I think the initial owner was named Mike Santiago, and yes it might have been Red Line Hobbies at first?

The name Ward Merrill definitely rings a bell, I don't think he was around when I was racing a lot, but the name definitely rings a bell from some time back then.
-dldiaz