Dirt-Road 10?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Dirt-Road 10?

Post by CrazyRC »

I was given this by an old friend, and am trying to find any info about it. Looks like a Dirt-Road 10. Thankfully, it looks fairly complete. I dont know what my plans are for it yet, but most likely I'll clean it up and it will be a shelf queen. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! I cant even find anything on eBay. I have found a copy of the manual, and a short blog post, but that's it. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_2355.jpg
IMG_2356.jpg
IMG_2357.jpg

coxbros1

Re: Dirt-Road 10?

Post by coxbros1 »

its just bitchn! full restoration i hope
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

coxbros1 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:33 pm its just bitchn! full restoration i hope
That's the tentative plan. I'll be picking it up on Friday, and will have a better idea of the condition it's in or if anything is missing then... but most likely it will be a restoration.

I do have the almost irresistible urge to get it running, just once. I cant seem to find any video of one of these things running, and am super curious as to how they drive...

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

i concur!

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

FWIW, I had one of these BITD. I ordered it from Tower Hobbies and it came with a Nissan truck body. I painted it white like box art, ran it on nitro for a while then converted it to electric then sold it. Mine had the brush guard and chevron tires just like yours. I never see these posted anywhere so perhaps they are rare?? Mine ran pretty slowly - lots of gear reduction. I guess it was like a predecessor to today's trail trucks.

EDIT:
Sorry, Lowgear reminded me that I had the Datsun version. Here's a pic I found on the web. It looks fast here but I don't remember it being very fast.
Attachments
Kyosho Datsun.JPG
Doug

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

If I remember right, these were Kyosho's answer to the Bruiser. They were sold with several different bodies which were Jeep Indiana, Chevy Pick-Up, Ford Ranger, and Datsun. I believe the electric version only came with the Jeep and Chevy bodies, and the nitro version only came with the Datsun and Ford bodies. The nitro versions were sold under the Dirt-Road 10 series nomenclature. The electric equivalents didn't appear to have a series name.

Anyway, both the electric and nitro versions share many of the same parts. Kyosho used the letters of DT and CH for the parts. These were also sold under the Robbe name. The electric versions show up frequently on eBay but the nitro version is a bit rarer.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

CrazyRC wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:43 pm I do have the almost irresistible urge to get it running, just once. I cant seem to find any video of one of these things running, and am super curious as to how they drive...
I get that same urge with every project I begin. It may take years for that urge to be fulfilled, but I just can't do a build and simply shelf it when it's complete. It's like an itch that has to be scratched.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

Coelacanth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:38 am
I get that same urge with every project I begin. It may take years for that urge to be fulfilled, but I just can't do a build and simply shelf it when it's complete. It's like an itch that has to be scratched.

Nitro, chain drive 4wd just seems like the kind of violence that I need to experience in person. It's got to be a noisy little bugger.

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

Lowgear wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:30 am If I remember right, these were Kyosho's answer to the Bruiser. They were sold with several different bodies which were Jeep Indiana, Chevy Pick-Up, Ford Ranger, and Datsun. I believe the electric version only came with the Jeep and Chevy bodies, and the nitro version only came with the Datsun and Ford bodies. The nitro versions were sold under the Dirt-Road 10 series nomenclature. The electric equivalents didn't appear to have a series name.

Anyway, both the electric and nitro versions share many of the same parts. Kyosho used the letters of DT and CH for the parts. These were also sold under the Robbe name. The electric versions show up frequently on eBay but the nitro version is a bit rarer.
Thank you. Not that I'm looking to sell it, but would it be rare enough to be worth something? If it's valuable, it might change how I approach bringing it back to life.

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

XLR8 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:36 pm FWIW, I had one of these BITD. I ordered it from Tower Hobbies and it came with a Nissan truck body. I painted it white like box art, ran it on nitro for a while then converted it to electric then sold it. Mine had the brush guard and chevron tires just like yours. I never see these posted anywhere so perhaps they are rare?? Mine ran pretty slowly - lots of gear reduction. I guess it was like a predecessor to today's trail trucks.
The manual says it has a 19:1 gear ratio! With an OS Max 10, I can see it being a bit lethargic.

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

Well... I picked this thing up yesterday. It's in better condition than the pictures imply. The engine was full of gummed up nitro, but I was able to get it cleaned out and spinning over nicely. I think it should run. I was also able to rescue the original tank, so that is a definite bonus. I will need to source the spring clips for the clutch, and so far that's all I've discovered that it needs.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Your well on your way! probably be running in a week :lol: i hope

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

CrazyRC wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:48 pm Thank you. Not that I'm looking to sell it, but would it be rare enough to be worth something? If it's valuable, it might change how I approach bringing it back to life.
Well it definitely has value which is what someone would be willing to pay. Keep an eye on eBay for what ones go for. Judging by the pictures, it appears to be in a pretty poor state but looks to be mostly complete and original minus the body. Once all the rust and corrosion is removed, there might be pitting left behind. To me, it's a good candidate for a runner.

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

Lowgear wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:08 pm Well it definitely has value which is what someone would be willing to pay. Keep an eye on eBay for what ones go for. Judging by the pictures, it appears to be in a pretty poor state but looks to be mostly complete and original minus the body. Once all the rust and corrosion is removed, there might be pitting left behind. To me, it's a good candidate for a runner.
Honestly the pics show it as being worse than it really is. It was covered by a film of oil and some kind of animal hair (It had been stored on a shelf in a barn). I really dont think it was run very much, the tires weren't even glued. I'll definitely need to order some gold cad plated hardware, but I'm pretty confident that it will clean up nicely. Fingers crossed at least. If nothing else, it will look good sitting on the shelf.