Houge RC10 with prototype trailing arms

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

coxbros1

Re: Houge RC10 with prototype trailing arms

Post by coxbros1 »

real decent info!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

highwayracer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 pm hello Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while, but I have some info on the various aluminum arms that are posted on this thread.

The first pictures of the ebay car with the large aluminum rear arms are actually the Andy's prototypes that were done in conjunction with houge. I was told these were produced right around the time the molded chassus was being discussed...becasue houge wanted to use a molded graphite chassis. I received this information from Andy a few years ago when I found a different picture of the arms online.

The second pair of rear arms that look like the plastic houge were actually sold by Race Prep. They were made for a kyosho car, but slightly longer. Jim Deiter began making chassis and installed those arms on RC10s. One of the cars is at a local hobby shop...and I went there to take a closer look. It just so happens that there was an old school racer that knew about the car...and he also had 2 sets of arms. One set was purchased by a frined of mine while the other car will be restored and given back to Jim,. Jim's car is at a local hobby shop and is a little different than others because of the gray delrin used to make the arm mounts and body mounts.

As for houge, after they saw the aluminum version, they began making the plastic version. I do not know if they received approval from Race prep.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply, your mention of Race Prep actually jarred an ancient memory of mine and I think you are correct. These arms might have been originally produced by Race Prep for the Kyosho (Cox) Scorpion and later adapted by Dieter for his Dieterbuilt cars, later mass produced by Mike Houge as injected molded arms. Would be interesting to have Steve/Mike Dunn confirm this!

I'd be super interested to know which hobby shop you are referring to, I'd love to see Dieter's car. It's entirely possible that we crossed paths in years gone by. I ran an adaptation of the original Dieterbuilt myself as a kid in the southwest suburbs. I never knew or interacted with Dieter directly, but used to watch him tear up the Thunderdome and JOROCC with his cars, he is a heck of a driver. I always received my parts through an intermediary (Steve Dire) who was friends with Jim. Regrettably, I got rid (threw away) my car some years back, wish I never would have done that :cry:

Interestingly enough, I did pick up what I think might be a Dieterbuit chassis with arms, possibly one of the cars run at the '87 ROAR Off-Road Nats. I wasn't able to contact the seller to find out the history, it would be great to know if it is indeed one of these as I would like to restore it and do a replica of Don Jones's winning 2WD Open car. Sadly, I heard he passed away recently, which is unfortunate. I never knew Don, but he was a heck of a driver as well.

Here is the chassis/arms I got off eBay which I believe is an original Dieterbuilt:

Dieterbuilt-1.png
Dieterbuilt-2.png
Dieterbuilt-3.png
Dieterbuilt-4.png
Dieterbuilt-5.png

This is Don Jones's winning car from the '87 ROAR Offroad Nats (photo from RCCA):

87-ROAR-Nats-Don-Jones-Dieterbuilt.png

->Mark

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Steve Dunn is quite active on Facebook. I can reach out if you like
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

GoMachV wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:15 pm Steve Dunn is quite active on Facebook. I can reach out if you like
That would be awesome Jeff, thanks!

-Mark

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

well, its not much but.......
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

GoMachV wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:32 pm well, its not much but.......
Thanks for reaching out, what Steve says makes sense. I never made it down to R&R in Quincy when I was a kid but all the big dogs around here did and raced. I don't recall exactly when but I believe a ROAR Nat was held there too.