RC10 NEO Stealth Car

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JohnE
Approved Member

Re: RC10 NEO Stealth Car

Post by JohnE »

I ended up making a single battery plate instead of using two of the plastic strip ones that come with the old cars, I figured it would be a better option and could let me put in some sub c batteries if I wanted. I had a piece of carbon fiber plate that was 2.5 mm thick, I sketched it out in CAD, cut it out with a vibro tool and cleaned it up with a dremel. It came out ok, the bottom side is pretty beat up from the vibro tool jumping around but it fit fine. I put one some stickers I had laying around so now it looks pretty factory.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4612.jpg

JohnE
Approved Member

Post by JohnE »

Added the electrics, I put in a Novak 75 mh Synthesized receiver that looks pretty good with this car. I had a Novak brushless setup with a 17.5 motor, this car was designed to be from the late 80's but the motor makes it more practical.

Still not sure what I am going to do for wheels and tires plus I have to order a body and wing but the car is pretty much done.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4613.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4614.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4608.jpg

JohnE
Approved Member

Post by JohnE »

few more pictures
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4609.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4610.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4611.jpg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Add a layer of masking tape on any flat stock you want to cut out, it protects the finish. Aluminum, fiberglass or carbon fiber. It's also easy to mark up, and not stay on the material, like light colored fiberglass.

cartmen34

Post by cartmen34 »

Thank you VERY MUCH for posting this. I was hoping to do the exact same thing. Try to replicate the '91 worlds car with the neovintage chassis kit.

I do have one question: Other than the stealth transmission, do you know how else this '85 kit differs from the '91 chassis? Is the suspension, bulkheads, etc, all identical?

cartmen34

Post by cartmen34 »

cartmen34 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:12 pm Thank you VERY MUCH for posting this. I was hoping to do the exact same thing. Try to replicate the '91 worlds car with the neovintage chassis kit.

I do have one question: Other than the stealth transmission, do you know how else this '85 kit differs from the '91 chassis? Is the suspension, bulkheads, etc, all identical?
FYI if anybody is interested. I spoke directly with Michael at neovintage and he confirmed his '85 kit and '91 cars are definitely different, especially in the front bulkhead and chassis area. If you're looking to build a '91 replica (like I am) then this neovintage kit might not be what you're looking for.

JohnE
Approved Member

Post by JohnE »

cartmen34 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:37 am
cartmen34 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:12 pm Thank you VERY MUCH for posting this. I was hoping to do the exact same thing. Try to replicate the '91 worlds car with the neovintage chassis kit.

FYI if anybody is interested. I spoke directly with Michael at neovintage and he confirmed his '85 kit and '91 cars are definitely different, especially in the front bulkhead and chassis area. If you're looking to build a '91 replica (like I am) then this neovintage kit might not be what you're looking for.
Thanks for the interest.

Yes this is a different car than the 91 worlds replicas that are out there. The front end is completely different, the front ends up being a tiny bit narrower than a RC10 worlds/CE car so it is much are narrower than the 91 car, the front bulkhead is different since it uses a completely flat lower chassis, this uses the shorter front shocks from the worlds/CE cars and it uses an offshoot of the worlds car steering bellcranks. The wheel base is 10mm longer than a stock car, i am not sure what the 91 car was wheelbase wise.

It uses the same style of double decker chassis but it was designed to use the 6 gear transmission. I put a stealth tranny in mine but I had to drill the holes in the chassis to do that. Other that that the rear of the car is pretty similar to the 91 car.

Like you said Michael designed this car to be different than what i am doing with it but I am petty happy with how mine came out, I am playing around with different types of wheels but will end up putting 2.2" on it and Mirage SS body.

JohnE
Approved Member

Post by JohnE »

I put some 2.2" wheels and tires on it and put in a battery to see how it its which isn't too bad.

I have a body and for it and planning on painting it this week. I decided to go back to the wing tube setup since the wing mounts I had on it interfere with the shock mounting holes
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4660.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4661.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4662.jpg

JohnE
Approved Member

Post by JohnE »

Here are some comparison shots of the front end.

It's a tad bit narrower than my team car and about 1/4" narrower on each side than a B4. The wheelbase is just about exactly the same to the B4 is which was a bit of a surprise, I thought it would be less.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4659.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4663.jpg

JPaul

Post by JPaul »

It looks awesome! Like fine art to me. After being away from the hobby for while it’s great to see cars like this. I’ve seen the Neo-Vintage sight, and the cars there are all awesome. AE and Kyosho were my favourites back in the day. I’ve been thinking of updating my old 91 Team Car with all Dhawk, but this maybe some thing I’d prefer to do. So, here come the questions if you don’t mind. Will you or have you run it? How did it go? Do you think think the parts will hold up over time? Arts no good to me if it just sits on a shelf :). Can I transplant this into the Team Car without any additional parts? Lastly exactly which Traxxas wheels and tires did you use? I really like the look of them. Do they fit directly on the old 1/4” rear axles or did you have to make modifications? Thanks for any help you can provide. Cheers

JohnE
Approved Member

Post by JohnE »

Finally got around to painting the body, I put a Mirage SS on it and found a generic RC10 undertray from Team Blue Groove. To me the undertray is a must for this car.

Now that I look at it I think the colors are more Kyosho than Associated but its too late now
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4717 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4718.jpg

JohnE
Approved Member

Post by JohnE »

Had some extra time this afternoon so I started cutting up the body and got it to fit, if you build one of these cars you really have to cut the crap out of the body for it to fit. Michael the designer has a Protech II on the cars he built but since I put a Mirage body on it I ended up cutting the front of it behind the front shock tower. Not sure if I love it but I think it looks better than it hanging over the front shock tower.

The one issue I found is that there are two button head screws right in front of the front body mount that are a bit annoying, they are basically the same height as the the body so they interfere if you use a body clip. I scratched the inside of the body a bit before I ended up putting some white strapping tape inside the body to protect it from the screw heads. I might get around to drilling out the holes in the top plate so counter sunk screws would fit but it's a pain to drill the graphite. You also have to cut the crap out of the area where the rear shocks mount, I have mine mounted in the middle hole and it clears the outside of the body but if used the inner holes I think there will be some issues.

I put on a few stickers I had laying around on but I had to order some new ones for the sidepods.

The body looks better on the car than it did sitting the countertop so I am happy with it.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_4722.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4721.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4720.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4719.jpg

JohnE
Approved Member

Post by JohnE »

JPaul wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:31 pm It looks awesome! Like fine art to me. After being away from the hobby for while it’s great to see cars like this. I’ve seen the Neo-Vintage sight, and the cars there are all awesome. AE and Kyosho were my favourites back in the day. I’ve been thinking of updating my old 91 Team Car with all Dhawk, but this maybe some thing I’d prefer to do. So, here come the questions if you don’t mind. Will you or have you run it? How did it go? Do you think think the parts will hold up over time? Arts no good to me if it just sits on a shelf :). Can I transplant this into the Team Car without any additional parts? Lastly exactly which Traxxas wheels and tires did you use? I really like the look of them. Do they fit directly on the old 1/4” rear axles or did you have to make modifications? Thanks for any help you can provide. Cheers
Thanks for the comments, I think I will end up running it. I haven't been to the tracks by me in a while and everything has converted to astroturf which isn't really this cars wheelhouse. Who knows about the durability, the chassis is super nice quality but I am not sure about the arms. The rear ones have a ton of flex in them which is a bit disappointing, the front ones seem pretty thick but I have heard mixed things about 3D printed front arms.

When I built this car I bought a beat up gold pan team car as a donor, you need the longer front shocks that come with the stealth transmission cars. Also the kit is designed around a 6 gear transmission so I had to drill some holes in the chassis to make a stealth transmission fit which isn't a huge deal. As far as other parts I ended up buying different steering armsj and a bunch of different screws since the car has bunch of short button and countersunk ones. The rear end uses he stock driveshafts and hub carriers.

The wheels are RC10 wheels, the rears are made by J Concepts for the vintage RC10's and fit a 2.2" tire. I had to drill out the inside mounting holes a bit since my car has the older style universal joints and not the MIP CVDs that come with the re-release worlds cars. The diameter of my axles are larger right around where the drive pin is but they thin down where the nut is. The front wheels came with the don'or car I bought so they have flanged bearings and fit modern 2.2" tires.

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

The car looks great awesome job! 8)

JPaul

Post by JPaul »

Thanks for posting the info. It helps. As for you car, it’s really nice! Definitely fine art. Maybe too nice run! Well at least use a basher shell when you do.