How many active tracks within an hour?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCveteran
Approved Member

How many active tracks within an hour?

Post by RCveteran »

Planning my future retirement home and go figure popular retirement guides talk about weather, taxes, politics, hospitals. Who cares :D What I want to know is how many viable and active tracks are close to you? I am drawing a limit at one hour driving one way but as I get old even that is kind of far. I'd prefer 30 minutes. Sadly for me today, it's zero.

So let's use this thread to discover the RC mecca we may not know about. My gut says southern California had/has the largest concentration but if an old track like OCRC had to close that may not be the case.

Anyways, let's hear it. I am in USA but would still enjoy hearing from international folks.

jwscab

Re: How many active tracks within an hour?

Post by jwscab »

I'm located in eastern pa, about an hour outside of Philly.

For 1/10 scale off-road tracks, I really don't have any less than an hour away.

Pushing it to 1 1/2 hours, I can hit three tracks, but have only been to 2. One to the west, two into nj/ny area.

I would have better luck with oval or 1/8 scale but I don't have any of that gear.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The Vintage Off-road Nationals seem like they get held annually in the NE area. If you don't mind cold, that would be cool to be close to.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

bgruen
Approved Member

Post by bgruen »

The Charlotte, NC area has a ton of off road tracks and a pretty active community. The oval concrete tracks are all gone (The Hobby Stop / Grove & King).

Atlanta has some drag racing, but little else.
Writer, producer, and director of The Hobby Stop:

Available on:
  • Amazon
  • iTunes
  • Google Play
  • YouTube Movies
  • Microsoft Store / X-Box

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Strangely enough, there are at least 2 in Southern Indiana about 10 minutes apart: 1 carpet, 1 dirt (hosted INS 11).

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

The only track I knew about in my neck of the woods was HobbyTown St. Charles raceway that's an hour away. It has an indoor carpet track that gets setup for on-road, off-road and oval. They also setup a large parking lot on-road track on scheduled days.

But I did a quick search and found a couple other tracks nearby which I never knew about. Thunderdome Raceway in Morris IL which is a 50 min. drive. This place looks killer and seems to host some national events.
Another one is Thunder Road Hobbies in Moline IL, which is just over an hour drive. This place has an awesome looking outdoor off-road dirt track and dirt oval. I really want to make some trips to these places.
-Jerry-

TravelinTravis
Approved Member

Post by TravelinTravis »

Visited my Dad, retired on a golf course in Ocala, FL. a while back (3-4 months ago)...on a golf course, no state income tax.....they actually had a beautiful asphalt road/oval course and a large crowd of OG's running R/C cars and a stretch of land for R/C planes too....apparently there was a true dirt track near by as well. Stayed and watched 2 heats....dad was amazed how many guys I shared stories with about old Lake Whipporwill....lol! Seemed like a cool place to consider to me. Called Top of the World if I remember right.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

R6cowboy wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:33 pm
Another one is Thunder Road Hobbies in Moline IL, which is just over an hour drive. This place has an awesome looking outdoor off-road dirt track and dirt oval. I really want to make some trips to these places.
if you make the trip because of a picture make sure to ask if the picture is updated. The track changes up alot. I've run there many times but more of a fun run type thing. Also, depending what is going on you might have to bring your high tolerance for a$$hats. Like everything, this place will usually have a couple hanging around.
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Zero.

As far as I can tell, the only active tracks are all about two hours away. :(
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

joeh51
Approved Member

Post by joeh51 »

I live in Zephyrhills Fl. , currently we have the following tracks within an hour or just slightly over
SS Raceway Tampa FL. - On Road and Off road
Epic RC , New Port Richey - Off Road
Warzone Raceway , Ruskin- Paved Oval
Triple Nickel , Bartow- Offroad
New Red Hobbies- Ocala - Offroad , Dirt Oval ( just over an hour from me )
Heroes Paradise , Brandon- Onroad
All Out RC , Orlando - Offroad , Dirt Oval ( just over an hour from me )
Ron Jon Raceway, Brooksville - Dirt Oval

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

klavy69 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:04 pm
R6cowboy wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:33 pm
Also, depending what is going on you might have to bring your high tolerance for a$$hats. Like everything, this place will usually have a couple hanging around.
I think I should start another thread, anyone go to track with no a$$hats. Anything special about this track that brings out more than usual?

I am working on plans for a RB10 17.5T car. Wait till they feel the wrath the of the B5 rear motor re release known as the RB10 :D Here forward named the a$$hat slayer 6.7.

ChocoTaco73
Approved Member

Post by ChocoTaco73 »

There is an 1/8th scale track locally but no 1/10th scale for at least 3 hours. 702 Raceway closed at the beginning of July out of the blue so we're kinda stuck.
James - Losi fanatic :lol:

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

ChocoTaco73 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:30 pm There is an 1/8th scale track locally but no 1/10th scale for at least 3 hours. 702 Raceway closed at the beginning of July out of the blue so we're kinda stuck.

So common. I've often thought the big companies need to pool together on this front. That said, racing is such a small part of the hobby they probably would lose 10% of their revenue if all racing stopped and go on with their lives.

I think long term the only viable option is tracks on public land maintained with help of volunteers and local park district. You'd pay to be a member to fund the extra cost and liability for the district. That said this would be a government partnership and will turn political. The NIMBY's will come out, the people screaming communism will come out and everything in between and that will not go.

You need the manufacturers and their data on how many would use it, their in house attorneys and business people to come together work with local governments in some sort of partnership. When I raced as a kid, it was on park district land. The park district did the basic grass mowing and would even run their tractor over the dirt occasionally. We would all chip in for the detail work. This lasted for 10 years or so, most of my racing youth. Worked out well as it sat in a city park area so it was not in the middle of nowhere in a building ready to fall down and we had bathrooms, running water, concessions etc.