Tamiya Polycarbonate Metallic Paint - Backing colors

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Re: Tamiya Polycarbonate Metallic Paint - Backing colors

Post by Frankentruck »

I think everything sprayed on the underside of a lexan body will end up a gloss finish because of the shiny polycarbonate body. I don't think the paint can do anything about that, if painted on the underside.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:21 pm I think everything sprayed on the underside of a lexan body will end up a gloss finish because of the shiny polycarbonate body. I don't think the paint can do anything about that, if painted on the underside.
The Tamiya PS-3 Light Blue, being matte, is not the Metallic flake I thought it was, I had just assumed it was Light Blue Metallic and would be like the PS-16 Metallic Blue.

I skipped around in this video, but this is Tamiya TS, not PS.

Spas Stix has something in Metallic Blue, but hard to tell what it would turn out like.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Gotcha, you're talking metallic vs non-metallic. It would be interesting to know how backing a non-metallic color with a metallic silver turns out.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:40 pm Gotcha, you're talking metallic vs non-metallic. It would be interesting to know how backing a non-metallic color with a metallic silver turns out.
I am tempted to try the light blue, can't tell how translucent it is though. Another interesting backing color might be the Tamiya PS-63 Bright Gun Metal
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-America-Polycarbonate-Bright-TAM86063/dp/B01M5JDUKY

Seems to have that stingray silver effect, lurking below a light blue might be as close as I can get with Tamiya spray.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

On the way here to try, is the PS-3 light blue for the base coat.

PS-63 Bright Gun Metal

Alclad

-and another PS-41 Bright Silver. Might be a while before I get all those.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:40 pm Gotcha, you're talking metallic vs non-metallic. It would be interesting to know how backing a non-metallic color with a metallic silver turns out.
Non-metallics will likely let almost no metallic backing coat show through. They're more solid colors. Metallics have particles that have to orient a certain way and they can't do that if there's already a layer of solid color. For the same reason, FasKolor recommends spraying their FasGlitter metallic powder mixed with their FasKoat base coat, which dries clear...BEFORE you back it with either a metallic or solid backing color. Even if you mix the FasGlitter metallic powder with a metallic paint, it won't show through very well.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Coelacanth wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:05 pm
Non-metallics will likely let almost no metallic backing coat show through. They're more solid colors. Metallics have particles that have to orient a certain way and they can't do that if there's already a layer of solid color. For the same reason, FasKolor recommends spraying their FasGlitter metallic powder mixed with their FasKoat base coat, which dries clear...BEFORE you back it with either a metallic or solid backing color. Even if you mix the FasGlitter metallic powder with a metallic paint, it won't show through very well.
Thanks for this, I'll do some tests when it gets here, and experiment with the base coat.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Tried the Tamiya PS-3 Light Blue as a base coat, it's not translucent, no backing color would matter.

I lightly painted this entire strip in PS-16 Metallic Blue, which is the same color I previously used on my HPI '67 vette body, that looked purple at times, or too dark of a blue after I applied it so heavily on the base coat.
But with the light base coat of PS-16 Metallic Blue, backed with PS-63 Bright Gunmetal, that looks pretty close to Marina Blue.

The next attempt will be a very light base coat of PS-16 Metallic Blue, backed with PS-63 Bright Gun Metal.

Need to order another PS-16.