BlueBird/Robbe Cheyenne

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Re: BlueBird/Robbe Cheyenne

Post by rccars4sal »

Very nice design. If these manufacturers would have stepped up and made the cars using higher end fiber reinforced plastics,, these would be great runners! Im currently occasionally running a wild willy, and it amazes me at how GOOD of an idea it is to keep all the guts protected in a semi sealed boxed up chassis. Its perfect for fun running. FRP would have made soo many cars, including Tamiyas much much better. Very cool tires on these 2wd buggies, and over all just a neat appearance.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

If they did that, the clones' pricing would've been more on par with the originals, and therefore there wouldn't be much reason to buy them. People purchased these cars back in the day because they were cheaper, and for those customers, the lowest price was the primary factor driving the sales.

Same as today, with all the Made In China crap you see on 75% of the products on the shelves in big-box stores. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Yeah true. Back in the day, I was not exposed to the cheaper brands. The lhs carried tamiya, and the occasional kyosho and associated. Tower hobbies carried all major brands. There was no ebay,, so probably very few of these clones made it to the USA. Possibly millions sold in China, and other areas. Now days,, theres a clone of anything popular, and its available in several different brand names, and some of those are clones of clones,,, aaaand we can buy them all on ebay or other electronic means.

tomolupus
Approved Member

Post by tomolupus »

The quality were lousy, but they sure look good.
Bluebird Super Baja

Bluebird Baja Growler.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Oh wow! I could kick myself for selling a standard baja growler years ago. Very cool. Have you ever dissected one to see how closely some parts may match to optima, ultima?

tomolupus
Approved Member

Post by tomolupus »

I was told by the seller that optima parts would fit and I tried once to fix one broken gearbox with optima parts but gave up due to short attention span. :D

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I really like the way Bluebird handled the chassis design. It makes much better sense than the rails as on optima and beagle.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

rccars4sal wrote:I really like the way Bluebird handled the chassis design. It makes much better sense than the rails as on optima and beagle.
How do you adjust for chain stretch on those? It just occurred to me and I honestly don't know. Is it even possible to stretch the chain tight with those chassis' like you can do with the Optimas by loosening & tightening some frame rail screws? Or are you limited to removing chain links?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tomolupus
Approved Member

Post by tomolupus »

Peddah

Post by Peddah »

Hello from Germany :)

My father has a Blue Bird Super Baja, but the front hubs are damaged and now i am looking for parts.
Do you have an idea where i can get parts?
On eBay aren't the parts i need, even for the Kyosho Optima, which has the same construction.

Thank you very much,
Peddah

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The hubs look more like a tamiya, even though the rest of the car is a Kyosho copy
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

bobks

Post by bobks »

Hello from Germany!

Even though the thread is a bit older now, I have a question on the subject:
I also own two used Robbe Cheyenne, one with the monoshock layout at the front, the other with conventional suspension. Both also differ in the gearbox, one with the engine on the left, one on the right, and also in the front track rods (offset vs. straight).
However, both have the same problem (apart from cracked shock absorbers): After installing ball bearings and reassembling the gearbox, the differential does not work, i.e. when turning one rear wheel, the other turns in the same direction, the whole drive also turns sluggishly and seems to grind against each other (the inside of the gearbox housing also shows grinding marks from the gears).
Because the Robbe model was obviously delivered partially pre-assembled (chassis, suspension and gearbox), there is no exploded view of the assembly of the gearbox in the instructions. Maybe I'm missing something or I'm making a mistake.
Is there perhaps an exploded view of the gearbox in the blue manual with the monoshock version?

Greetings,
Bob