Looking for a 9601 top shaft

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Looking for a 9601 top shaft

Post by XLR8 »

Fan RC is reproducing them but they appear to be out of stock everywhere.
I know Avid makes a version but it's aluminum and I'd prefer a steel shaft and gear.
Anyone else making these?
Doug

JosephS

Re: Looking for a 9601 top shaft

Post by JosephS »

XLR8 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:16 am Fan RC is reproducing them but they appear to be out of stock everywhere.
I know Avid makes a version but it's aluminum and I'd prefer a steel shaft and gear.
Anyone else making these?
I haven't seen them out of steel. The Avid shaft is a good quality one. There has not been a reason for me to break open any of my built transmissions.
I haven't heard of issues like I had with the Dhawk ones either.

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

JosephS wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 pm I haven't seen them out of steel. The Avid shaft is a good quality one. There has not been a reason for me to break open any of my built transmissions.
The factory AE was all steel. FWIW there's one on eBay.
The TX SKUNK

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

jcwrks wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:26 pm
JosephS wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 pm I haven't seen them out of steel. The Avid shaft is a good quality one. There has not been a reason for me to break open any of my built transmissions.
If it's the one I'm seeing, it will be $46.39 with tax. More than I'm willing to pay.
I was thinking someone else was making them but it sounds like FanRC and Avid are only aftermarket sources.
I could wait for FanRC to restock or I could buy the Avid shaft now and swap it for an OEM part from one of my shelfers.

... or, I could spend $100 for a complete Stealth transmission from FanRC. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for chiming in. :D
Doug

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

XLR8 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:35 pm
If it's the one I'm seeing, it will be $46.39 with tax. More than I'm willing to pay.
I was thinking someone else was making them but it sounds like FanRC and Avid are only aftermarket sources.
I could wait for FanRC to restock or I could buy the Avid shaft now and swap it for an OEM part from one of my shelfers.

... or, I could spend $100 for a complete Stealth transmission from FanRC. :lol:

It's a little pricey, but you are looking for a very specific version made of a specific material. The Chinese made ones are $22 ish with tax shipped. What would you expect a NIP steel top shaft to cost? Searching the ebay sold history they seem to be about $35-$50. There were not many and only 2 were NIP.

You may just want to make an offer on the one you see on ebay. I have found that seller willing to listen to reasonable offers and they value money today vs slightly more tomorrow. That seller sold one NIP in March for $12

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Do you need a brand new top shaft, or just a usable top shaft?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

XLR8 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:35 pm I could wait for FanRC to restock or I could buy the Avid shaft now and swap it for an OEM part from one of my shelfers.
This, swap out a factory steel one from a shelfer with an Avid aluminum one. I've resorted to this on a shelfer. I've bought a couple Avid aluminum shafts and they seem to be quite good quality too.
-Jerry-

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

JosephS wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:01 pm
XLR8 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:35 pm

It's a little pricey, but you are looking for a very specific version made of a specific material. The Chinese made ones are $22 ish with tax shipped. What would you expect a NIP steel top shaft to cost? Searching the ebay sold history they seem to be about $35-$50. There were not many and only 2 were NIP.

You may just want to make an offer on the one you see on ebay. I have found that seller willing to listen to reasonable offers and they value money today vs slightly more tomorrow. That seller sold one NIP in March for $12
Frankentruck wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:07 pm Do you need a brand new top shaft, or just a usable top shaft?
Aren't they all made in China?
Anyway, $20 isn't bad but $15 would be much better. I might take your suggestion and offer the ebay seller 18 for his NIP and hope I don't offend him.

Honestly since this is for a runner, a usable one will do just fine. I really don't need NIP.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:12 pm
XLR8 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:35 pm I could wait for FanRC to restock or I could buy the Avid shaft now and swap it for an OEM part from one of my shelfers.
This, swap out a factory steel one from a shelfer with an Avid aluminum one. I've resorted to this on a shelfer. I've bought a couple Avid aluminum shafts and they seem to be quite good quality too.
And, they're only 15 bucks (plus shipping and tax, of course).
If that ebay seller flips me the bird, I will order the one from Avid.
Doug

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

There could be some inexpensive gearboxes that periodically pop up. That shaft and the slipper assembly are in:
1000011068.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"