Junk yard build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Twiceblown351
Approved Member

Junk yard build

Post by Twiceblown351 »

My son is 5 and loves thease cars. And allways what to run them. And I allways don't what to let him run them. You know its not something I can go it part for . So I was going to go get him a slow strong rc car. Wait there are no new car cheep car made today that are anywere as strong as an old RC10. I can rember taking rc10 and running them in to trees at WOT and the tierod coming off thats it. The newer cars you flip them and all the a-arm brake off.

So I went and got all my old not pretty rc10 parts and die them all black. And got a old tub and striped it and all the used parts I had. And were building a car.

Twiceblown= 93 F150 Lightning
393 and two turbos @ #10Psi
= 10.90@126 in street trim

WillyThickfoot
Approved Member

Re: Junk yard build

Post by WillyThickfoot »

That's gonna be one happy 5 year old!Way to go Dad!! :wink:

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Careful you don't make it too pretty or it'll be another one you don't want him to drive! :shock:
Gary

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

dad of the yeah maybe. Yeah don't make it too pretty, but it is already looking pretty pretty :mrgreen:

he will be happy, and even if he sees you smiling while he plays with it, he wont know you are actually looking at the car :lol:

toykilla
Approved Member

Post by toykilla »

Good logic. The RC10s are hard to beat when it comes to durability. I raced my worlds car every weekend for two years straight in Mod buggy with stupid fast motors (10-11 turns). I never broke a single part. Everything is worn out beyond usage now though :P

Twiceblown351
Approved Member

Post by Twiceblown351 »

Well the cars done. I have to some how make it slower. I gears I put in it ended up being a 6.33 but its still to fast i think. Its only got a stock ready in it. so I guess I put 8.0 gear in it.
The only thing I had to buy for it was tires, MIP CVD, ESC and 8 bearing. I had the B3 wing and B2 diff cover. and the body off my A chassis car. it really wasn't all the nicely cut or painted. SO i think a got all of 70 dollars in it. And of course the biggest bumper i had for it.
But here it is.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

looks good. To slow it down you could also use a 4 or 5 cell battery instead of 6. This is easier to do if you are using side by side packs, just bypass 1 or 2 cells.

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

Any volonteer like me to be adopted ? :lol:

seriously, don't you think that 5 is too young ?
My older sun is 5, and I think that it is a bit difficult for him to manage this drive...mine would keep playing with real toys...he will wait to drive real RC...I would replace him for the moment!
local club president, but also family team manager - mecanic - official sponsor, and some times cruising my RC cars......YES!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.bmvrc.com/

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

you're never too young. My soon to be 6 year old daughter has a stampede, a blitzer beetle painted like a lady bug, a tlt-1 for indoor use, and a losi mini slider for "racing"
My kids have done more damage to the radios than the cars. Now we like the spektrum radios because the antennas are so short, much easier for the kids to manage. my 2 year old has killed a couple of the telescoping antennas on the 75mhz stuff.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

check out some electronics stores for 540 sized industrial motors.

I have a 5 pole motor of some japanese brand i got at conrad in germany. It's real smooth and has very low top speed. Gives nice long runtimes too; always good for kids

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

5 isn't too young. not to mention, there's nothing they're gonna do to the cars that we couldn't do ourselves. :wink:

if you really want to slow the car down, look into picking up an integy lathe motor like the crawler guys use. 35, 45, 55 turns and lower. they only cost like $20 last time i bought some.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Don't make the same mistake I did with my 3 year old daughter~Teach the young'n how to properly use an
antenna. The first thing she did after seeing me pull the antenna up was try to put it down and bend it. :lol:
Totally my fault! A 5 year old will understand much better. I have a B3 that I let her run. I just use a Tamiya 540
bag motor and gear it as low as humanly possible(never actually figured ratio). You get crazy long run times and
is actually one of my favorite ways to run it. I have to hold the radio for her because her hand can't quite reach the
trigger yet. I officially gave her my Midnight Pumpkin, but have yet to let her drive it. :lol: I do let her push it around though. :P
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Twiceblown351
Approved Member

Post by Twiceblown351 »

Well half the problem was I had a 7 cell 4500mah in it. I think I might try one of these old edinger motor I have here. I thing there slow. I remember my first rc10 in 86 being slow. I remember it was junk in the first week i had it. thow I ran 35 pack in it the first week.

But no I think he ready. Hes been sitting in my lap for 2 years now running my 1/5 scale car and my big boat.
I gave him a radio that he could get his hand around. I know all about the antenna hes bent one all ready.

I told him that he wanted one he had to take it apart so i could rebuild it. So I got him the tools and put the out and show him what he had to do. And he did good for a 5 year old. He got all the screws out by himself.

no its like anything else. If you start them out early. They pick it right up. Just take them and do it with them. and they will get it faster then you think.

WillyThickfoot
Approved Member

Post by WillyThickfoot »

scr8p wrote:

if you really want to slow the car down, look into picking up an integy lathe motor like the crawler guys use. 35, 45, 55 turns and lower. they only cost like $20 last time i bought some.

I tried a 55T and I think its too slow.A 35 or 45T with the right pinion would I think work well for you.